Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
No dispute with high mpg numbers, but first question that comes up in my mind when I read about mpg figures is whether these figures are off of the ECM displays or actual pump to pump hand calculated. My truck consistently shows 8 - 8.5 mpg on the display (even idle time figured on that), yet the hand calculations, fill up to fill up, show averages of around 7.5 mpg. The display sure can be fun to see, but it has to be tempered with real world figures. I have seen only a slim few displays that show mpg that is close to real figures.
My 8.2 - 8.5 is figured on pump to pump...... it doesn't even have a computer LOL
I pull a dry bulk tanker from Chicago to S. Texas loaded at 4,000lbs and come back empty in a 99FLD Flat-top with a S-60, 10spd and 3.90 rears (hence the 63mph LOL)

Pays $3.75 loaded and just FSC coming back. I do ok
Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Just look on any downhill run on I-25 in Wyoming. Just make sure you turn OFF the MPG reading on the ensuing uphill part.

Actually, it looks like this tractor is getting about 6.5 (Imperial) average with the loads I am pulling. That is one of the reasons for getting the new tractor. This one has the wrong gears (3.90's) for the freeways.

I am running about 1490 rpm at 65 mph. Now, it pulls like a freight train when I hammer down to get past the governed trucks ( I opened mine right up ) but I can accomplish that with a downshift if I go to 8th direct when I pass.

I am going to get an 18 speed autoshift in the new tractor. (gloss went off the shifting apple about 2 million miles ago )
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver View Post

I am going to get an 18 speed autoshift in the new tractor. (gloss went off the shifting apple about 2 million miles ago )
The IH I just sold had 3.23's and a auto-shift. I hated it at first, but grew to LOVE it.
It was a GEN2 series with the clutch pedal still and once I got the MANUAL mode down, it was the same as driving a reg stick w/o the shifting, missing a gear or grinding.

Just think of this, I was running a load of casustic across I80 from North Platte to the Bay. Not once did it miss a shift going up or coming down a hill, It was GREAT!!!!!! It's when you dont have to worry about hitting it juuuust right to slide it into the next gear when pulling 80,000lbs up Donner
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
you'll get 6.6-6.8 with that truck. check the dash readout for avg mpg and that will tell you what it's avg has been and no it's not my old one. mine was 60351 and avg mpg for the 231,000 i had it was 6.7...
But I'll bet you had a relatively massive amount of idle time that lowered your avg. MPG quite significantly. I, on the other hand, have very little idle time, comparatively, so I should get that much better avg. MPG.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

not all that much, around 18-24hr's a week back then unless you count driving in Los Angeles as idle time. r avg load back then was around 42-44,000 lb's right now r 09 pro-star running with 24,814 lb. @ avg of 62.2 mph (filled up in Minooka, IL to Cheyenne, WY.) 921 ml used 137 gl. that's 6.72 mpg. with 1/2 hr of idle time for driver change.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
not all that much, around 18-24hr's a week back then unless you count driving in Los Angeles as idle time. r avg load back then was around 42-44,000 lb's right now r 09 pro-star running with 24,814 lb. @ avg of 62.2 mph (filled up in Minooka, IL to Cheyenne, WY.) 921 ml used 137 gl. that's 6.72 mpg. with 1/2 hr of idle time for driver change.
WOW, that Pro-Star sure is not doing so great on the MPG. My dad has been driving for Wal-MArt for about 20yrs now and his 07 Pro Star is averaging 7.2 - 7.5mpg ????
Old 08-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Senior Board Member

ya i know and thats with an ISX 450 untrashift and super (stuped) singles btw the dash saids something like 7.5 but i track it from fuel stop to fuel stop.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
The IH I just sold had 3.23's and a auto-shift. I hated it at first, but grew to LOVE it.
It was a GEN2 series with the clutch pedal still and once I got the MANUAL mode down, it was the same as driving a reg stick w/o the shifting, missing a gear or grinding.

Just think of this, I was running a load of casustic across I80 from North Platte to the Bay. Not once did it miss a shift going up or coming down a hill, It was GREAT!!!!!! It's when you dont have to worry about hitting it juuuust right to slide it into the next gear when pulling 80,000lbs up Donner
That is the gear ratio I am thinking of running.

What did you get for Fuel economy on average? Tire size? And RPM at 65 mph? Which HP engine did you have? I am getting the Maxxforce 475 HP.