User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I dunno man. Why are you, as the driver, the one here..or anywhere......asking these questions? Why isn't the owner of the truck interested enough to be asking the questions?

You act unconcerned as to the "rate" the truck receives initially. You should be. Very concerned.

The rate to the truck must be high enough to pay the expenses of the truck.

YOUR WAGES are one of those expenses. Your wages pay for the comforts of YOUR life.

The rest of the rate to the truck, pay's for repairs of the truck, insurances and taxes owed by the truck, plus the truck needs to earn enough to pay for it's own replacement, as well as pay a dividend to the owner.

Until the owner of the truck is interested enough to negotiate for an adequate "rate", that truck is just one more "Jippo" out there, lowering the over-all rates to the other trucks.

Those are hard words. But they are the truth.
thanks, I understand these things. I agree she needs to be more concerned about rates, I am doing all I can to find the rates but I know generally you won't find them with a company. I personally would prefer a company or contract that pays at least 2 per mile and probably closer to 3 per mile for hazmat. I could see that working for her trucks.

I see the condition her trucks are in and personally would love to go back company, maybe for celedon or heartland but till 17 may I still have an accident that's under 3 years old. If we could bank enough I'd like to see her go newer, more aerodynamic, more fuel efficient, not to mention get a truck that's able to be hired on with more companies, Better companies that pay a little beter.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
thanks, I understand these things. I agree she needs to be more concerned about rates, I am doing all I can to find the rates but I know generally you won't find them with a company. I personally would prefer a company or contract that pays at least 2 per mile and probably closer to 3 per mile for hazmat. I could see that working for her trucks.

I see the condition her trucks are in and personally would love to go back company, maybe for celedon or heartland but till 17 may I still have an accident that's under 3 years old. If we could bank enough I'd like to see her go newer, more aerodynamic, more fuel efficient, not to mention get a truck that's able to be hired on with more companies, Better companies that pay a little beter.

A "leased" truck (my truck is leased into a Motor Carrier) will never see the full "paid" rate, in most cases, (unless a lawyer was really good and got into files before they were "disappeared".......an "Owner Operator" wouldn't ever know the actual billed rate). That is just "Trucking", where lieing, stealing and cheating, is standard business practice.

If the "Owner" of your truck has "multiple" units, then there is no reason in the world, if "she" choses to have those trucks pulling containers, that "she" does not take herself down to the corporate offices of Maersk, Horizon, MOL Logistics, K-line, OOCL, APL..or any of the other "Container" lines, and lease her equipment directly to them, running under their USDOT authority. MOL especially has advertisements out, seeking "Owner Operators" to lease into them. APL and Horizon have had advertisements out, off and on, over the years.

Eliminate the multiple middle men, and your "owner" could actually make reasonable money. But doing so takes effort. From the "Owner"....not a driver.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds good, I'll run this by her and see what we can do. I know what your saying, I'm at the mercy of the owner as to what I can do and she seems to want to keep them leased. She had her own authority and don't wanna go that route again, not sure if she did brokered loads or what happened. Maybe she didn't go directly through the ship lines.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
Sounds good, I'll run this by her and see what we can do. I know what your saying, I'm at the mercy of the owner as to what I can do and she seems to want to keep them leased. She had her own authority and don't wanna go that route again, not sure if she did brokered loads or what happened. Maybe she didn't go directly through the ship lines.

I know a woman in Alabama who had several trucks and ran her authority. After a couple of very high fines from the dot she gave up her authority to lease to another carrier. I am surprised that your boss isn't the one doing the research to lease her truck to a carrier. She is the one who will need to sign any contract. It really doesn't make much difference whether a carrier gets their loads direct or from a broker. At the end of the week you still need to make profit.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member

yes sir, she needs the profit to insure her trucks are taken care of, her drivers are happy and obviously so she can bank some for herself. this is the simplified version as all ppl have different needs but these 3 are ones I think all owners need, lol. I'm not one to just sit on the sidelines so the moment she said she'll sign any contract as long as we are happy and the truck is turning a profit, I reached out to my friends here at CAD to get advice on how and were to proceed. I'm more a medium/regional/longhull person. Local has never excited me but considering there are loads going all the way to kansas from norfolk, I can see I will have no problem fining loads going out of state. I might have problems finding places to street turn a box but I'd imagine the further out I go the easier it will be to find someone using that same ship line to export. I thank you all for the advise and input, more is always welcome. I think you all have given me food for thought.