Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
There something more to this 'story' that began this thread:

CSA 2010 states :

Question:Will CSA 2010 assign safety ratings to individual CMV drivers? I heard that CSA 2010 is designed to rate CMV drivers and to put many of them out of work this summer.

Answer: No. Under CSA 2010, individual CMV drivers will not be assigned safety ratings or safety fitness determinations. Consistent with the current safety rating regulations (49 CFR part 385), individual drivers will continue to be rated, as they are today, following an onsite investigation at their place of business when they operate independently as a "motor carrier" (i.e. have their own USDOT number, operating authority, and insurance). CSA 2010 will provide enhanced tools for Safety Investigators to identify and address drivers with poor safety records as part of motor carrier investigations in order to increase driver accountability for safe driving behavior. CSA 2010 is designed to meet one overriding objective: to increase safety on the Nation's roads. Therefore, it is, by design, a positive program for drivers and carriers with strong safety performance records Also, it will send a strong message that drivers and carriers with poor safety performance histories need to improve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But now the drivers score counts against the company and can also lead to suspension of a drivers CDL, which is why as Allon stated the companies are being proactive and cutting higher risk drivers(in their minds) loose early.

I talked to my old terminal manager at BTT and she said she terminated 2 O/O's because of a high number of violations based on CSA coming.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Did these guys have their own plates at least? I understand companies cleaning up but damn, don't leave people stranded.

(btw Mike, does the dog have a name so I can cheer him to the other side of the screen?)
One driver was allowed to get a load to take back to the home terminal, dont know about the others....

I named the dog Stay. Come here Stay,Come stay......

Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
But now the drivers score counts against the company and can also lead to suspension of a drivers CDL, which is why as Allon stated the companies are being proactive and cutting higher risk drivers(in their minds) loose early.

I talked to my old terminal manager at BTT and she said she terminated 2 O/O's because of a high number of violations based on CSA coming.
That's exactly how it works. DOT only comes in and says as a whole your carrier is unsatisfactory. DOT cannot and will not cancel CDL's due to "points".

However carriers do not gain anything(lose points) by cutting people loose. But if you have a history of points and no indicator that you are changing your ways, they will cut you loose. It's about what is going to happen in the future.

It's not how many points your carriers have that is important. It is how they're ranked against other carriers of the same size. Say the carriers points stay the same over a certain time frame, but other carriers points drop, your ranking(percentile) starts to go up and the DOT comes after you. They will always target the top 25%.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

How exciting that big government is finally here.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
How exciting that big government is finally here.
Pray very sincerely that you are right, and this is not simply previews of coming attractions.:eek2:

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
DOT cannot and will not cancel CDL's due to "points".

I'm not sure you're right on that, from the fmcsa site:

6. If a driver ends up with an unfit rating, what can they do to be re-certified or is this the kiss of death for their driving career?

There is very little a driver can do to fix an unfit rating. When they are declared unfit, they can NO LONGER DRIVE a commercial vehicle. The only thing they can do is WAIT for some time to pass and hopefully some of the tickets they have will no longer be in the 36 month history they are evaluated on. Most drivers would have to quit driving at that point since they would not be able to make a living driving for a period of time. If a driver has a marginal status, the one thing they can do is have a CLEAN inspection. Clean inspections will take points off of their record. So a marginal driver can improve his safety score. Mr. Thomas also mentioned that the FMCSA has speculated that as many as 175,000 drivers will become unemployable when CSA 2010 goes into full effect. These drivers would be unemployable! Thomas went on to say that he would not be surprised to see the FMCSA develop some sort of re-certification program for unfit drivers. It would be a way for a driver to get back a clean CDL after having gone through the re-certification course.

A "clean" inspection will NEVER happen, they WILL find something,rest assured
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

That is NOT the FMCSA website, CSA 2010 FMCSA New Carrier Rating System Measured by 7 Behavior Analysis & Safety Improvement Categories is an external site. That site tries to sell you csa2010 related information that is easily available on the REAL csa2010 site. That site is also full of bad information, like the information above.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That is NOT the FMCSA website, CSA 2010 FMCSA New Carrier Rating System Measured by 7 Behavior Analysis & Safety Improvement Categories is an external site. That site tries to sell you csa2010 related information that is easily available on the REAL csa2010 site. That site is also full of bad information, like the information above.

A HA!...........my bad, you're right.....
Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
It doesn't matter if the FMSCA will not let you drive or not, it's put a whole new tool in the insurance companies hands and they are gonna use it to take as many marginal drivers off the road as they can.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
A HA!...........my bad, you're right.....
No problem, that site seems to be the first that comes up all the time. That's a shame because that site is going to spread a lot of bad information.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the FMSCA will not let you drive or not, it's put a whole new tool in the insurance companies hands and they are gonna use it to take as many marginal drivers off the road as they can.
That's the point of CSA 2010. Right now only OOS items go on the carriers record. Now with CSA2010 every single pass/fail is broken down both on the carrier and the driver. That gives carriers and insurance companies the tools to deal with bad drivers, not like now.

Another myth is that after a certain amount of "points" you will be disqualified. You won't be DQ'd but if you're at the top of the list for points at the carrier you'll be talked to by the carrier, especially if they have an intervention.

And that brings me to the final myth, that all points are the same. This is not true. Points are only comparable within the same BASIC.

One trick the scale houses will do is they'll say "oh it's just a warning". You think it's ok because there's no citation. I received a "warning" for being a few hundred pounds over on the drives (I really should do a dataQ on it). 7 points, X 3 because it was just a few months ago.

I also received a "warning" for a corner light being out. Bugger hides under the rub rail. Two points but I'll bet it will drag down my carriers score more then the weight "warning".

Stuff like fatiged driving and reckless driving will weight extremely heavily on the score compared to something that has comparable points in cargo securement.

Last edited by allan5oh; 03-27-2010 at 04:24 AM.