User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Its funny how everything these days gets blamed on something else other that the real thing.

Emission standards have nothing to do with it, if Detroit makes money building new engines then Cat should too. I could never imagine myself owning a Cat powered truck simply because everything is much more expensive. I did my water pump on my DD60 for 600$ while a friend of mine had his done on a Cat for close to 1300$.

They went out of business because of their own decisions and no one else s. I am happy that they are not around.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
Emission standards have nothing to do with it, if Detroit makes money building new engines then Cat should too.
Well detroit only makles engines. Cat if they wanted too im sure could have made a enegine. But when your making so much more money doing other things like building bulldozers why bother with the small stuff like on-road motors??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It could also be that consumers are tired of paying the higher cost of CAT parts as compared to Cummins and Detroit. While I like their engines, I don't like the idea that it can sometimes cost double those of their competitors.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
While I like their engines, I don't like the idea that it can sometimes cost double those of their competitors.
Well, "You've got what you've paid for".....
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
Its funny how everything these days gets blamed on something else other that the real thing.

Emission standards have nothing to do with it, if Detroit makes money building new engines then Cat should too. I could never imagine myself owning a Cat powered truck simply because everything is much more expensive. I did my water pump on my DD60 for 600$ while a friend of mine had his done on a Cat for close to 1300$.

They went out of business because of their own decisions and no one else s. I am happy that they are not around.

They are nowhere near out of business, just not making class 8 engines anymore
Old 12-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

When I did my Cat water pump it was $400.00 I did the labor, don't know where everyone gets this fantasy about Cat costing so much.

Go and get some in frame quotes, you will see they are all about the same.

Cat had million mile engines in the 70's NO one else even came close.

As was mentioned, why bother with the unprofitable when you can make more somewhere else.

For years there was rumors about a Cat powered diesel pick up, usually made up from pick up owners who were wishful thinkers, truth is Cat NEVER wanted a place in the pick up truck market, why would they need that kind of market when they have the dirt and construction markets almost to themselves.

I was their decision to stop making on highway engines, as far as out of buisness, Wall Street considers them "Blue chip"

Last edited by Maniac; 12-28-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
When I did my Cat water pump it was $400.00 I did the labor, don't know where everyone gets this fantasy about Cat costing so much.

As was mentioned, why bother with the unprofitable when you can make more somewhere else.

For years there was rumors about a Cat powered diesel pick up, usually made up from pick up owners who were wishful thinkers, truth is Cat NEVER wanted a place in the pick up truck market, why would they need that kind of market when they have the dirt and construction markets almost to themselves.

I was their decision to stop making on highway engines, as far as out of buisness, Wall Street considers them "Blue chip"
My last bill at the Kenworth dealer was $112.00
Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post

Its something totally different when You do your own work compared to how much it costs someone who goes out to the shop and do it. I dont have place nor the tools for that. C15 water pump is close to 700 dollars i dont care what you say. I was the one who called for him to get the quote from 3 different CAT dealers. Mine was 600 and thats labor included and guess what, my truck makes the same money as his.

Just like i would never own a Harley or a Peterbuilt over a Honda or a Freightliner, i would never own a CAT as it doesnt bring me any extra money for the price they want for a truck which has it.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Well, "You've got what you've paid for".....

I have certainly got my money's worth from my CAT. Even with the higher cost for parts I think that I have come out cheaper than I would had I bought a Detroit or Cummins. If the engine laid down and died tomorrow I have gotten my money out of it. Hopefully, it will still last a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Board Regular

With all things said i think things are, and will be getting worse.

With the new technology brought by paccar and the newer volvo,navistar engines, you can see where we'll have to do more and more repairs: the dealers.Even with the proven technology from europe, it will take quite a time for the consumer to be able to service his truck at another shop ,other than the dealer.It will pretty much kill small shops, that will not be able to buy the service manuals and tools.That will hurt us big time,and we'll be the ones being the "guinea pigs" on the products,and off course at our cost.

For me i have a cummins isx with the egr technology.Parts for it are quite expensive.I replaced the turbo and and injector and run me about 3800(turbo) and 700-800(for the injector).An air valve to the turbo was another 800.I really don't want to think what will be costing us in the future something like that in the new engines.

The best engine and cheapest engine for the money right now , i think, it is the detroit series 60.Parts aren't as expensive as cummins or cat and everyone can service them for the time being.I really regret not looking after such an engine when i bought the truck.Also you can get excellent fuel mileage out of those engines with the right specs.