User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When equipment only has a few gallons in the tanks it is not surprising when they run out of fuel on an incline.

Would Henry have come this far 20 years ago with no cell phones or computers?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I've used my ramps once in three years. Lately everybody wants ramps, but they are so clueless about them it's ridiculous. They want ramps so they can save the cost of an RGN or the cost of bringing in a flat bed tow truck. Here's two examples just from today.

Broker: "It's 6 wheeled freightliner dump truck". Do you have ramps?
Me: Yes I have ramps. What's the model of the truck?
Broker: I don't know.
Me: How much ground clearance does it have and what's the wheel base?
Broker: I don't know why?
Me: Because the bottom of the truck might get hung up on my trailer as I'm loading.
Broker: Never thought about that. That's why I've never driven a truck.

Broker: do you have ramps?
Me: Yes. What have you got?
Broker: It's an excavator.
Me: Tracks or wheels?
Broker: I----don't-----know.
Me: What model is it?
Broker: I don't know but it weighs 34,000 lbs.
Me: 34,000 lbs? Not on my ramps.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Board Regular
Default Very good write-up Rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
I've used my ramps once in three years. Lately everybody wants ramps, but they are so clueless about them it's ridiculous. They want ramps so they can save the cost of an RGN or the cost of bringing in a flat bed tow truck. Here's two examples just from today.

Broker: "It's 6 wheeled freightliner dump truck". Do you have ramps?
Me: Yes I have ramps. What's the model of the truck?
Broker: I don't know.
Me: How much ground clearance does it have and what's the wheel base?
Broker: I don't know why?
Me: Because the bottom of the truck might get hung up on my trailer as I'm loading.
Broker: Never thought about that. That's why I've never driven a truck.

Broker: do you have ramps?
Me: Yes. What have you got?
Broker: It's an excavator.
Me: Tracks or wheels?
Broker: I----don't-----know.
Me: What model is it?
Broker: I don't know but it weighs 34,000 lbs.
Me: 34,000 lbs? Not on my ramps.

The one above is a good one.

I was able to load the first OTR tractor on the deck.I was worried the day before, because I have 16kibs load limit on my 14 ft ramps.The day before I went to Copart, I was able to load my own tractor on the ramps.The drives got up to the (I backed up)top deck and I heard a scrub.Just when the front wheel was about to start climbing the ramps, I stopped.Unknowingly, the back farrings got hung up on the top edge of the ramp.The drives did make it to the top deck and the ramps did not bend as I was thinking.I could have raised the self leveling valve to give me more clearance to make it all the way, but at least this gave me confidence about the weight limit.My truck weighs 17.5kibs and so I knew I would be fine.

At the auction, the first columbias' clutch was soo high, and so when I was driving up the ramps, I sometimes had to stop mid way on the ramps to re-steer.Stopping abruptly on the ramps and resteering caused a jerk in weight.This jerk/sudden stops caused one of my ramps to bend a bit.Anyway I was able to make it up there and then call the wrecker to have them put that on the top deck.That part was easy, and so was driving the 2nd columbia up the deck.There were parts all over the place to pick up and strap.There were the air dam/air scoops I had to pick and strap on the fiftth wheel.They were huge for one person to carry and then climb up on top to put them on the fifth wheel.There were other parts like the stacks and brackets.
Every time I do auctions, I run into some hard ass labor.6 hrs,8 chains and 12 straps later I was on my way.

I think I will stay away from these auctions as much as I can ,and I already try to stay away from moving machinery/vehicle with wheels.A 46kibs BOOM vehicle destroyed some of my cross members 8 months ago.Never again.

The wrecker charged $220 and which the shipper paid 4.
The shipper, who is also a trucker with 5 trucks(Cottrell) could have easily ordered an RGN, but would have needed 2 of them because both trucks took up 46ft in length.
He also claims he can find me a clean truck and as clean as these Columbias for dirt cheap.I will see what he comes up with.

While waiting for the gates to open at Copart, I was able to locate Shorter ramps for $450 about 10 miles down the street.They were 8ft length with 12kibs limit, and that would have worked in getting that first Columbia up the top deck.It wasn't justifiable in this economy and since I rarely do these kind of loads, so I told the shipper to pay for the wrecker.
GMAN, IN THIS ECONOMY IT IS NOT WORTH SPENDING $3000 ON 14FT AND 8FT RAMPS.I ALREADY SPENT ALMOST $1K ON THESE 14FT.THAT MONEY INVESTED IS ENOUGH.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not spend the money on ramps unless it is something that I would use on a fairly regular basis, either. I thought that if it is something you would use that it might be worth spending the money. I agree that in this economy it is not prudent to spend money unless it is absolutely necessary unless you can get a really good deal and have the extra cash.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Board Regular
Default Will this type of weld hold or should I forget it?

Quote:
glad you made out ok Henry. I probably would have used the wrecker + ramps like you did. Although I like Heavy Duty's idea better. That's one to file away for future reference.
FOR YOU STEPDECKERS WHO RAMP MOST OF YOUR LOADS.I delivered the load but both my ramps broke in half.NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO WHAT I DID EVEN IF I HAVE TO STAY SOMEWHERE FOR CHRISTMAS.That was too much weight on the ramps.They almost totalled their Columbia when this happened.They said they would have my ramps welded back toegther.I have been calling almost every 3 days but now the guys will not call me back.The father said they are having a (who at first said it will be an easy fix when a metal is reinforced in between the broken pieces and welded toether)hard time finding someone who can do aluminum wleding.If a metal plate or steal is used in between to hold the ramps and welded together, will this hold or SHOULD I JUST CUT MY LOSSES AND FIND SOME OTHER RAMPS?If a weld like this is possible then I wouldn't mind driving 300 to pick up my **** and have someone do it.
When done will welds like this hold?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Board Regular
Default Soo pissed off.

I am soo pissed off this morning, and that is why some people go knocking on doors with you know what.The buyer called me everyday when I had his trucks but now he will not answer or return my calls with an update.

My tranny went out on my personal vehicle and I could have ramped my vehicle up on my deck and drove it to the tranny shop.Had to call a tow truck.I am now the towee instead of the tower.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to hear about all the problems with your load, henboy. If it were me I would buy new ramps rather than repairing aluminum ramps. As a side note, it is usually a good idea to not exceed the load capacity of your ramps. Although this guy said that he would repair your ramps, it ultimately falls on you to either repair or replace them. My guess is that the guy knows that his welder may not be able to repair the old ramps and he doesn't want to pay for new ones. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

sorry to hear about your ramps. They won't fix them properly. They don't give two hoots about you. Just like I said earlier. They have no clue and they don't care if you wreck your stuff. If they fix them at all they will just gob some weld on there and you can't trust the ramps in that condition. They can probably be fixed, but they will need to be reinforced.

I wouldn't replace them.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
sorry to hear about your ramps. They won't fix them properly. They don't give two hoots about you. Just like I said earlier. They have no clue and they don't care if you wreck your stuff. If they fix them at all they will just gob some weld on there and you can't trust the ramps in that condition. They can probably be fixed, but they will need to be reinforced.

I wouldn't replace them.
Rank you have ramps made from Landport right, and even if I went and picked up my stuff would it be worth spending another 300-400 to fix it?.Such fixing will require a shop that knows what they are doing.Out of a 100 loads you see 2 loads requiring ramps.
I may have to cut my losses and forget about ramps.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
Rank you have ramps made from Landport right, and even if I went and picked up my stuff would it be worth spending another 300-400 to fix it?.Such fixing will require a shop that knows what they are doing.Out of a 100 loads you see 2 loads requiring ramps.
I may have to cut my losses and forget about ramps.
No Henboy, I don't know who made my ramps. They are made from 4 lengths of aluminum Z bar with checker plate welded on top. If it were me I would definately get my ramps back......maybe you can get them fixed locally at a reasonable price but I wouldn't buy new. Like you say, there might be 2 loads of 100 that call for ramps and 2/1000 are loads that are actually feasible for ramps in the real world.