Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   URGENT HELP NEEDED.complicated stepdeck load (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/39224-urgent-help-needed-complicated-stepdeck-load.html)

henboy1 12-19-2009 01:29 PM

URGENT HELP NEEDED.complicated stepdeck load

I have been in phoenix for a couple of days.I finally found a load that is picking up at an auction.This load is coming to lakeland , Ga.
I feel RANK or someone with much experience hauling this kind of stuff would know.
The trucking company in Ga bought 2 daycabs 04 Freightliner Columbias.I have a 48' step deck with 37' on the bottom.I have hauled many loaders,backhoes and excavators but never a road tractor.They required RAMPS which I have, and my ramps are 14feet in length.They had to call freightliner out to the auction to remove the wind Visor/air scoop on top.The trucking company in GA claims a flat top columbia's over all height is 9' 8".They got this from a truck they have in their yard.When I got there I measured an overall length of 21feet and 10 feet in height.

Loading this will be a challenge for me, since I don't have ramps to back this tractor(shorter ramps to clear the top deck)on my top deck.I have started calling around to get about 4-6 feet ramps in Phoenix.

Besides the point, more work is involved because the freightliner guy forgot or was never told to take off the long stacks.I can do this on both trucks myself.The owner of the company who bought the truck wants to up the fee if I can find shorter ramps.He even wants to pay for the ramps.Commercial ramps like these are mail order.

Forcing this tractor up on my top deck is impossible since it wouldn't have the traction on the drives like a backhoe/excavator.

I can either call all heavy duty junk yards in Phoenix for ramps or I can go to Home depot and have them build me wooden steps which will be held by nails.I will still need to secure the wooden steps with straps to keep it down while I back the truck up on the top deck(half on top)

Another third plan is to stop one of those tow truck drivers and pay him, and have him back up his flatbed to my my top deck while I drive the tractor from his flatbed on to my top deck.Such a plan might work, but I will still need short ramps to drive it half way off the topdeck.

I took a commercial HUMVEE from Ga to NJ 2weeks ago and almost the same incident occured.This was a load that needed ramps, but the load was only 15feet.In NJ, the damn HUMVEE would not crank.I had set up my ramps and was guiding the driver when the Humveet shut off.The HUMVEE just shut off while backing up on the ramps.Anyway, they called a Tow truck who backed up to my trailer and winched it off.

The owner wants no one to handle this job but me.The trucks had no fuel and batt was dead.I still have to charge them up with my generator.I just hate doing auctions and sorry for the long post but any suggestions?
I need to find a solution by monday.

henboy1 12-19-2009 03:41 PM

Thanks

I was able to book with a wrecker service to come "deck" the tractors.
Thanks.

Orangetxguy 12-20-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henboy1 (Post 470452)
I was able to book with a wrecker service to come "deck" the tractors.
Thanks.

Your welcome Henry.

Did you learn anything today? :D

Windwalker 12-20-2009 03:52 AM

When I loaded a tractor (18-wheeler), the height problem was easy to take care of. I simply softened the tires. Not all the way flat, but about half. Then, after chaining up, I added some of the air back. The softened tires brought the height down to legal height. Otherwise, it would have been a couple of inches over.

As to the dead batteries, simply trying to charge them may not do it. You say they are out of fuel. Might be worth putting a couple of gallons in each tank, then pull start them.

henboy1 12-20-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 470504)
Your welcome Henry.

Did you learn anything today? :D

I learned a lot tanker yanker.
I can never stop learning Orange.

Bigmon 12-20-2009 03:11 PM

Is this one of the Ritchie Bros loads you were trying to get? Of all the trucks for sale the shipper couldn't find any closer? One advantage of hauling trucks is if your breaks you can swap for one on the trailer.:)

Heavy Duty 12-20-2009 09:50 PM

Henry, It is quite easy, use the dock at the auction (less work and safer) back the first truck on till a few inches from the deck. Pull out from the dock and have the wrecker or forklift pick up the back end and hold it while you back your truck up. Only one lift and your done. Tie that truck down before you load the back. It will be easier without the other truck in the way. Put the other truck on and check your height and go to GA. Most auctions will help start equipment you are loading.

rank 12-21-2009 02:29 AM

glad you made out ok Henry. I probably would have used the wrecker + ramps like you did. Although I like Heavy Duty's idea better. That's one to file away for future reference.

henboy1 12-21-2009 03:38 AM

Copart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Duty (Post 470579)
Henry, It is quite easy, use the dock at the auction (less work and safer) back the first truck on till a few inches from the deck. Pull out from the dock and have the wrecker or forklift pick up the back end and hold it while you back your truck up. Only one lift and your done. Tie that truck down before you load the back. It will be easier without the other truck in the way. Put the other truck on and check your height and go to GA. Most auctions will help start equipment you are loading.

This is Copart, there are no docks.They do not help with fuel or charging.They do not touch the class 8 trucks at all.I am at the gate and we will see tomorrow morning.

GMAN 12-21-2009 04:02 AM

If you plan on hauling many cars or at facilities where a loading dock may not be available you might consider getting a set of ramps. There is a company in Jacksonville that manufactures ramps. I don't recall the name but their prices seemed better than some of the others with whom I spoke at the time.