Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_char View Post
Where can one find their rating???? aybe I missed in the thread...

Charlene
Post #12 in this thread, I posted the link to the SAFER rating.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Board Regular

My own company(im an independent) is around 75 vehicle and 70 driver.Not very proud of it right now,i can add.

I really try to improve this score since it starts to matter hugely to the more respected brokers .Right now, it seems that brokers don't care they just want their load moved,but if it continues for them to be hit with huge lawsuits like CH robinson was, you can expect this to play a huge role in this business.

In a way i think is good.It will eliminate all the unsafe,cheap carriers that bring extra competition and lower rates in this business.I still want to have my own business and do all my best in it.I definitely had my share of mistakes in this, but i know i have to improve in order to stay successful.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

You need to check to make sure the info is accurate.

My home jurisdiction (ON) neglected to include some some good inspections when they audited me. That made the difference between passing and failing the audit. NOTE: Always keep copies of your inspections.

And Safersys had us down for a fatality!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Mine is not the greatest. The driver is 98.4 I think but the vehicle is "0". I've had 6 OOS but some of them wern't right.

One guy had a ticket from Virginia from many years ago and he was OOS just in Virginia till I paid the ticket.

The worst is the NW, they see a Florida tag and that's all it takes. Just had one last week, they went over that truck with a fine tooth comb, couldn't get a thing. But put the driver OOS for something in his logs. His hours were good too as he just came off a 34 hour restart.

Well revenue down, I guess they have to do what they have to do too.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
HOS violation is like 10 pt

etc..etc

the 2010 website has a list of infractions and the points assigned.

Just run legal and safe and everything should be ok.
it is not that easy. when you are not legal, you may not know it. one day a few years back, at a coop on i-65 s-bound portland tn. I had 1 marker light on top of my roof out. at that time the right ln north & south KY. was so rough, it would beat the heck out of ya. I don't know how I did not have more lights out. point is everything has to go out sometime. most likely it will not show defective when you check, but when you are hitting pot holes every 15 seconds like in detroit MI. sooo you check everything & all is o.k. you drive 50-200 miles & a light goes out & you get a roadside insp or scale insp. when I do my pretrip, I only replace what is defective. if a light is working I do not replace it. though that same light may go out in the next 5 min. what gets me is the d.o.t will not give you the option to fix the violation. you can show him you have a replacement light & the tools to replace immd. too bad. it was out when I checked. now it is on your record. this happened to me more than once. tires & brakes are a different story. those you can see when to replace before they are in violation.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Board Regular

And that was my main point regarding this new CSA2010 regulation that is about to hit you guys. This is an interesting thread to say the least.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Rookie

Sounds as if this new rating system is designed to put everyone out of business, especially the o/o and small companies. I can still remember a time when most scale houses would wave the larger carriers thru and stop ALL the o/o for inspections. But this time it may even get worse, because now, any badge carrying yahoo can take his/her frustration out on us. What's to stop the jerks of LEO's from making false reports at will. At least under CVSA, if we had an earlier inspection that day or week, we could show them the paperwork and be on our way. That may not work with this new system.

As OTR drivers, our life expectancy is already shorter then the population as a whole, now I wonder how much shorter it will be with this new added stress.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article....ed_pr&id=92166

Last edited by kotflb; 10-30-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotflb View Post
Sounds as if this new rating system is designed to put everyone out of business, especially the o/o and small companies. I can still remember a time when most scale houses would wave the larger carriers thru and stop ALL the o/o for inspections. But this time it may even get worse, because now, any badge carrying yahoo can take his/her frustration out on us. What's to stop the jerks of LEO's from making false reports at will. At least under CVSA, if we had an earlier inspection that day or week, we could show them the paperwork and be on our way. That may not work with this new system.

As OTR drivers, our life expectancy is already shorter then the population as a whole, now I wonder how much shorter it will be with this new added stress.

Trucking Insurance Industry Journal The Roemer Report: Trucker Life Expectancy 10-15 Years Less Than Average American Male - 3/11/2008 - insurancenewsnet.com
it does not matter when your last inspection was anyway. I was stopped recently twice within 4 hours. both in the state of AL. 1st in decatur & the 2nd in birmingham. when I told the 2nd officer that I just had an insp & showed him the paperwork, he replied... well I am usually more thorough on my inspections than other officers, especially some of the new guys out here. he was a veteran d.o.t inspector. he said he can find violations that others miss. he did not find anything. the delay pissed me off though
Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some states are becoming much more aggressive in their roadside inspections. It may get worse with the new rules coming into effect. I think it is much better to have a rating for the driver so that he can take responsibility for some of the things that may be found during an inspection. It could make some of them more thorough when they do their inspections.