LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
I need another year before i can get out of this stinky business once and for all. Am getting tired of it each and every day. That will be one less safe driver feds dont need to worry about.
triple ditto on that! you hit the nail right on the head! :lol:
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is really nothing wrong with the current rules. If I remember correctly crashes involving big trucks is down so I don't see the need to make further changes in the system.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Board Regular

not trying to be a dick here but...if a driver does his job and checks his lights..brakes..etc. while at the same time run a legal logbook and drive close to the posted speed limit. change a headlight when it goes out..as soon as safely possible, etc. then there should be nothing to worry about. wanna be a cowboy then there will be trouble. the way i see it...nothing is changing.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Board Regular

i work for a small company that has a terminal in milwaukee, but i'm in madison. my truck gets thru the yard probably once a month, and this company has -1- spare truck. we have to replace our own spare parts shipped over from milwaukee, and it usually takes an act of congress to get in for service. they would drive over their own mothers before deadheading us to the shop. i usually go to milwaukee by way of preston mn if i need service just so i can bring in a load.
I wonder how many companies operate like this? something like these new rules could break them 1-2-3.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
not trying to be a dick here but...if a driver does his job and checks his lights..brakes..etc. while at the same time run a legal logbook and drive close to the posted speed limit. change a headlight when it goes out..as soon as safely possible, etc. then there should be nothing to worry about. wanna be a cowboy then there will be trouble. the way i see it...nothing is changing.

Every thing has to go out sometime. you do pretrip & all is o.k. you drive 200 miles in bright daylight. over the 200 miles a side marker light, or other light goes out. maybe cause it it time to go out, or maybe cause of all the pot holes in the road. but it does not work now. only you dont know it, cause it worked when you checked. a D.O.T. pulls you over for a road side insp & when checking your lights, find's the one that is out, you get wrote up.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that their time would be better spent if they concentrated on the things that would actually be a safety issue, such as brakes, air leaks, etc., I think that one reason, other than money, that these people are doing this is due to driver neglect. There are simply too many who don't take the time to properly check their equipment. From a company standpoint, when a driver has failed to check equipment it is something that the company has had to deal with. Now it is more of a shared responsibility issue. Drivers will be forced to be more conscientious about their assigned equipment or find another career. I think that there are good and negative aspects to these new rules.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
Every thing has to go out sometime. you do pretrip & all is o.k. you drive 200 miles in bright daylight. over the 200 miles a side marker light, or other light goes out. maybe cause it it time to go out, or maybe cause of all the pot holes in the road. but it does not work now. only you dont know it, cause it worked when you checked. a D.O.T. pulls you over for a road side insp & when checking your lights, find's the one that is out, you get wrote up.
I'd have to agree on that. Light could go out, while you are walking from the back to the front.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Well there's a lot to read......maybe I need to find a job working at a truck stop....if you see an old man cleaning toilets wearing a swift hat and t-shirt it might be me.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
Just a question for ya there Chief, when do you think lights and headlights burn out?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

That is where the d.o.t. gets ya. they know EVERYTHING has to go out at some point in time. they just hope to catch you between the time it goes out & the time you are aware of it. weight, speed, any traffic violation, I will be responsible for. but a side marker light ,that went out during transit ? & I have spare to put it & the d.o.t. stills write's me up? maybe the law, but is not right. still not sure if this csa 2010 will hurt or help me.