User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It is not ordered throught DAC/Hire Right. You order from FMCSA/MCMIS. I don't know how to put a link in but the address is HTTP://mcmiscatalog.fmcsa.dot.gov
Your crash data is already on record for employment through many other options.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
It is not ordered throught DAC/Hire Right. You order from FMCSA/MCMIS. I don't know how to put a link in but the address is HTTP://mcmiscatalog.fmcsa.dot.gov
Your crash data is already on record for employment through many other options.
As of now you are correct, but from what I read in the coming year this will change. DAC/Hire Right, will be handling all driver records for employment purposes through the fed. And I wonder, will carriers of all sizes be required to sign on/up with DAC? I looked at them when I had drivers and trucks, and the costs were pretty high for what my insurance company was able to do for what I already paid for in my insurance premiums.

And that is why I asked about what roles our insurance companies will have in all of this? Will they be the new DAC/Hire Right clearing house for carriers when they hire a driver? Which is basically how it is now, the insurance company has the ultimate say in who gets hired. So this may be a good thing or a bad thing, it will depend on how DAC/Hire Right handle the records and will there be any recourse for a driver to dispute information on their records? The way all of this reads, and my past experiences with SAFER, I would say it would be very difficult for a driver to make corrections to their driving records. And remember, there is much more that will go on these records then just simple driving violations.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member

So if DAC can provide the reports later why is that a bad thing? It's an effective system for driver information. Far better than written reports that can say almost anything the previous employer wants to. How do you verify past performance when they are out of business?
There is no regulation requiring you to use any service,only what must be verified.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
So if DAC can provide the reports later why is that a bad thing? It's an effective system for driver information. Far better than written reports that can say almost anything the previous employer wants to. How do you verify past performance when they are out of business?
There is no regulation requiring you to use any service,only what must be verified.
I am not saying it is bad or good. I do know that many have accused DAC or past employers of really screwing up their records. How true this is is anyone's guess.

As far as being out of business? Are you referring to DAC? They are still around, they just run under a different name. Dac is like Kleenex is to tissue. Or if you are speaking of companies that have closed their doors and no longer can be contacted, yes, a system like DAC is a good thing.

As far as using a service, that is why I was asking if our insurance companies will handle the driver clearances or will another system be implemented to check on drivers. I don't know, as I always relied upon my insurance company to pull records and such.

There are allot of unanswered questions here, and if I were a driver or a carrier I would want to know how all of this is going to work and what effects it will have on everyone involved in this business.

If I were a company driver, I would ask the boss some hard questions along with doing my own research. It is hard enough to make a decent living in trucking the way things are right now with the economy, along with all of the spending and uncertainty coming out of Washington these days. I would be covering my back and telling others to read this stuff and ask questions.

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight, as I hung up my trucking hat. But, I can see trouble brewing here, and thought that it would be a good idea to start a discussion on what all of this entails. As I have yet to see any serious discussions anywhere on this subject. The last thing we need in the coming year are more employment shocks or businesses closing their doors due to the government screwing things up like they are prone to do.

Just remember, "it's for the children"...

Last edited by Justruckin; 10-19-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I wonder what percentage of these drivers that are "supposed" to lose their jobs already work for marginal carriers? The new regulations do not "suspend" a driver,only put a rating on them. The low pay,don't care carriers will still hire them just as they do now.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I wonder what percentage of these drivers that are "supposed" to lose their jobs already work for marginal carriers? The new regulations do not "suspend" a driver,only put a rating on them. The low pay,don't care carriers will still hire them just as they do now.
If you read the regs, a driver can lose his CDL at some point if he has to many points. And a carrier can lose his authority too if to many points are accumulated. I think this will put many of those guys out of business rather quickly. Remember every scale house in the country will have your number.

I would say though, that in the big picture, it is pretty even across the board, just because of the way this rating system works. And the fact that it will be retroactive for the prior 36 months for drivers and I believe 24 months for carriers. Violations that have never been counted are now going to be counted against the driver and carrier, including warnings. Log book violations being one, just a few over a period of time can really put a driver and a company in a bad spot.

And how will these scores be rated? How many points before a driver is deemed unemployable? And remember, the carrier points for equipment go on the drivers record too. I have yet to see anything on that. My example of not putting a shipper or BOL# in the remarks section of their log book can cost a driver a minimum of 6 points or even 12 if another one of the rules is used for an incomplete log. That is 12 points right off the bat for not having this info on ones logs. Now lets say some of the reflective tape on his trailer is there but not up to the DOT man's expectations, that is another 9 points. This driver just racked up 21 negative points against him and the carrier. I could go on, but you get my drift. It would be nothing for a driver and carrier to rack up points rather quickly for what amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

Last edited by Justruckin; 10-19-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

What is the proposed regulation # that that shows disqualification of the driver?(other than what is currently in place)
For the carrier it is not much different than now. At least it will put all carriers on an even field. Quite a few carriers now have never had a CR inspection. A new entrant doesn't count.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Angry

6 points for the tail light, and 4 points for brakes? That's real safety.....
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
What is the proposed regulation # that that shows disqualification of the driver?(other than what is currently in place)
For the carrier it is not much different than now. At least it will put all carriers on an even field. Quite a few carriers now have never had a CR inspection. A new entrant doesn't count.
I made a phone call... And spoke with Steve Kessler over at the CSA2010 website, and this is what I learned.

The 175,000 number came from one of the carriers that are under investigation under the new CSA rules. The 175 number is said to have come from a CSA inspector as to the results of what they have seen so far in the "numbers" that have come out from the seven state test period. So, take the 175,000 number for what it is worth, but these investigated carriers are already firing drivers under the new rules. And if you are a driver or a carrier, don't poo poo this 175,000 number, as this gets interesting as the points can add up rather quickly, especially if a carrier has an accident. Remember that x 3 multiplier.

Intervention in regards to drivers will take place when they reach a score of 90.

Intervention in regards to carriers will happen when they reach a score of of 72.

Again, the negative driver scores go right to the carrier, say you have 400 trucks, how long do you think that it will take to hit a score of 72 and fall into an intervention? An intervention that may cost you thousands of dollars if you are a carrier and force you to fire a few drivers. What the heck, cash and good drivers are real easy to come by, no? (sarc)

We spoke on quite a few things, and the bottom line was, that this was less about safety and more about control and revenue collection.

I'll get back later with the rest of the story as it was quite an interesting conversation.

Last edited by Justruckin; 10-19-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Board Member

As the scoring is based on the number of power units/drivers there is no difference between a carrier with one truck or a thousand. Again it would put everyone on the same level. Under the current rules it is nothing to see a carrier with one or two trucks that have an OOS rate of 50% or higher with no CR audit and a low(pass) ISS. If a larger carrier even approached anywhere near that number there would be a high(inspect) ISS and an audit.
I have yet not been informed of the regulation that results in the suspension of the CDL for these points. Only the carrier termination of the driver(voluntary)if it fits their employment guidelines.