User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is your opinion on running light?

Offered identical loads, except one is 40 and one is 15, how much less cpm would you take the 15 for, if any. If you ALWAYS hauled below 20, exactly how much benefit do you believe your equipment would realize all around, as opposed to usually running around 38 to 40 thousand pounds with a few light loads sprinkled in? Also, what is your opinion regarding fuel savings if you were to always haul below 20 as opposed to running the regular mix?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I assume that the numbers you are using are thousands of pounds? In most cases, it seems that lighter loads pay more than heavy ones. I think it has more to the value of the cargo rather than the weight, unless you are talking about something that pays by the hundred weight (i.e.-steel) or bag (i.e.-onions). You should have some fuel savings with lighter loads, but the amount depends on a number of factors such as equipment, gearing, terrain traveled, speed and driving habits. The type of trailer you pull can also make a difference. For instance, a flat bed may have less wind resistance than a van or reefer, depending on the type of load.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
Offered identical loads, except one is 40 and one is 15, how much less cpm would you take the 15 for, if any. If you ALWAYS hauled below 20, exactly how much benefit do you believe your equipment would realize all around, as opposed to usually running around 38 to 40 thousand pounds with a few light loads sprinkled in? Also, what is your opinion regarding fuel savings if you were to always haul below 20 as opposed to running the regular mix?
You're probably looking at a difference of 1/2 mpg at best, which equates to about $0.05 per mile at current prices.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Rookie

You're probably looking at a difference of 1/2 mpg at best, which equates to about $0.05 per mile at current prices.
Would you personally subtract any cpm for equipment wear and tear also, 15,000 being easier on equipment (tire heat, engine, everything) than 40,000?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unless you are pulling household goods your load weight will vary from one load to another. I would use the highest calculations when figuring costs. In fact, I recommend calculating expenses high and income low. If you can live with the numbers doing it that way then you have a better change of success. If you pull general freight your loads will usually not be light. It will be a mixture. Wear and tear should be calculated high, at least for the first year. Once you have a full year running you will have actual figures from which to work. If you wish, you could track different loads by weight and check fuel mileage often. It will begin to give you a more accurate picture of your business. I don't think you will see a significant difference in operating costs over a year.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Rookie

Let me re phrase this for those who don't understand. I'm interested in knowing opinions of what people think is the actual cost, (which would be reflected in rates accepted normally), for always hauling loads which are light. I got the answer regarding $.05 for the mpg reduction at present fuel costs, which is the type of thing I'm after.

But there is also the fact that cost are reduced by less wear and tear. I was thinking that perhaps someone had an opinion on the actual cost that would be saved hauling light, like perhaps on a dedicated light run verses an identical heavier run. 15,000 vs 40,000.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

To answer the question, NO DISCOUNTS for lighter weight, fuel taxes the same, most tolls the same, time and mileage are the same, weight is insignificant, because it just isn't that much in savings.

Yeah, better mileage out of a set of tires, maybe a little better fuel mileage, BUT why should the shipper get anything out of it? Screw them, they would screw YOU in a second.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with Maniac. I don't think your savings on wear and tear will be significant. Your biggest savings will likely come from fuel savings due to a little lighter weight. You may see little or no real fuel savings unless you are hauling light weight loads in mountains. You need to understand how rates are determined. For the most part light weight loads pay more than heavy loads. Light loads tend to be higher value and can justify a higher rate than heavy loads.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Board Regular

I always love light loads,especially when pulling through the mountains and hills.There is less wear on the engine,transmission,tires,etc.Also, if im in a hurry i can really push my speed up, being more light on the back.Something that obviously you can't do that with a 45k load.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon