LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
Yeah..stay driving a company truck.

With the attitude like this, i'd hate to see you hang it up like many do.

So are you saying you can't make it with a Pete 379 all tricked out? While I agree this poster should keep his expenses to a minimum starting out, I also feel it is much more important leasing onto the correct carrier instead of what truck he buys.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzeme View Post
What company pays $1.90 to the truck? Must be expedited freight.

They are out there and no they are not expedited freight, in fact those guys usually make way less than that after all deadhead is figured in. Why would anyone want to run 4k miles a week? Find a carrier where you can work less not more for the same money.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
So are you saying you can't make it with a Pete 379 all tricked out? While I agree this poster should keep his expenses to a minimum starting out, I also feel it is much more important leasing onto the correct carrier instead of what truck he buys.
No, am not saying that...

Its like a 16 year old wanting a Mercedes as their first car....

And why would you want a tricked out truck, expecially starting out in this economy? If they made me more money then I would understand...and the pool of these ,,correct'' carriers is getting smaller by the day. Is Dana hiring?

The kind of truck that one buys I think has alot to do with ones financial buttom line I think, but thats just me.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The kind of truck that one buys I think has alot to do with ones financial buttom line I think, but thats just me.
I'll put my bottom line up against anyone leased to a McMega carrier, I don't care if they got their truck as a birthday present. Thats why I say it's more about who you lease onto and not what truck you buy. I net more than they gross.

Not sure about the hiring thing, but if you had a truck around Charlotte friday you would've had a job, busy as hell.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I'll put my bottom line up against anyone leased to a McMega carrier, I don't care if they got their truck as a birthday present. Thats why I say it's more about who you lease onto and not what truck you buy. I net more than they gross.

Not sure about the hiring thing, but if you had a truck around Charlotte friday you would've had a job, busy as hell.
I know you've been looking for a reason to tell us youre doing goo there at Dana, am happy for you but, you misunderstood my point.

If one, who just starts out, goes out and buys that Pete which is pricey, he or she will not only pay more for the truck, but also pay more in interest and everything else concerning it. You arent just starting out?

As far as your terminal here, i had a talk with that menager of yours who runs the place and found the guy to be very anal and disrespectful. I've talked to Maniac about it. I wish that I can see him in a local Wal-Mart just to give him piece of my mind.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I know you've been looking for a reason to tell us youre doing goo there at Dana, am happy for you but, you misunderstood my point.

If one, who just starts out, goes out and buys that Pete which is pricey, he or she will not only pay more for the truck, but also pay more in interest and everything else concerning it. You arent just starting out?

As far as your terminal here, i had a talk with that menager of yours who runs the place and found the guy to be very anal and disrespectful. I've talked to Maniac about it. I wish that I can see him in a local Wal-Mart just to give him piece of my mind.
But you won't even acknowledge my point that the company you lease to could run you bankrupt no matter what truck you buy. I said that the OP should not buy a Pete 379 starting out, considering what companies he's looking at. I took exception to your comment that made it sound that you had to buy a cheap truck in order to make it as an O/O. If I mis-understood your point I'm sorry.

I work out of Michigan and only have limited dealings with the guy you speak of in Charlotte, but can't say I disagree with your statement. Stay away from that Maniac guy, he's trouble.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It would be much better if he starts out with something less expensive than a tricked out 379. Starting out it is much more important to make money and most 379's get lower fuel economy than some of the more aerodynamic trucks. They will usually cost more to purchase. You can sometimes buy 2 of a different brand, such as a Freightlineer and get better fuel economy. I understand what Dejanh is saying. All of that chrome won't make any more money for you. The more you pay for a truck the higher your operating costs. Collision insurance will be more on a more expensive truck. Since you pay more for the truck other expenses will also be higher, such as interest. If he is determined to buy a 379 Pete, I am sure he will find plenty of them on the repo lots.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Question for GMAN and Dejanh, which of these companies would you lease to?

Swift
CR England
JB Hunt
US Express
Celadon

Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Board Member