User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Are Owner Operators and Truck Drivers business people??

Most are just steering wheel holders, the difference being some have bills, others get a pay check.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller View Post
Are Owner Operators and Truck Drivers business people??

Most are just steering wheel holders, the difference being some have bills, others get a pay check.
Every wheel holder that I have known tells me about his bills, trucking and non-trucking bills. I've seen company drivers happy with weekly pay checks ranging from $250 to $1600, so what is a paycheck? Are they business people? Who is and who isnt?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT View Post
My point is the company driver's actions do directly affect THEIR BOTTOM LINE, so they affect the bottom line of the BUSINESS. If every company driver screwed up and cost the company profit each day, the company would go broke quickly and the company driver is out of a job, not a comfortable place to be.
The same thing could be said of any employee in any business. Are you claiming that every person working for a wage is a businessman?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
On the surface, I agree 100%, but we know we have to DIG for true understanding. For the record, let's put lease-purchase operators into the employee column until they own the lease. Most never will own the lease because the company doesnt want them to own the equipment, so consider fleece-purchase operators employees. Good employees should do their jobs practicing good business principles, therefore thinking like businessmen.
:hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Just exactly what is YOUR DEFINITION of "Owner Operator"?

I am an "Owner Operator", leased to a Carrier. I own my truck, no payments, but plenty of repair bills. I consider myself a business-man. The IRS considers me a business-man, and the company I am leased to considers me a business-man.

Since you...a "Broker" have asked a question....answer one or more.

Are you an ACTUAL broker....or are you an agent of a broker? Do you possess a DOT number that identifies you as a broker?
DO you consider yourself an employee , a piece of equipment, like your computer, your telephone, or your copier machine? :moon: :moon:

You can stop being a horse's azz any day you want... Why not start now??

For the record...operators like Big Diesel, Steve Booth, or Solo379, are officially classified by the DOT and the IRS, as "Motor Carriers" since they operate under their own DOT authority, not under a lease, such as Mike3 or I do.

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 08-31-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Are truck drivers really part of this economy and the business they driver for or are they just a piece of the equipment, ie tractor, trailer, driver???

I remember talking to an ad executive some years ago. He stated that he was in the only business where their assets go up and down the elevator each day. I suppose a driver could be considered an asset if you want to stretch things a bit. I am not sure how you would depreciate him. Drivers are not businessmen. Any owner operator should consider himself a businessman. I think many still consider themselves a driver. It seems to me that their attitude can make the difference between success and failure. The owner operator who considers himself a businessman and runs his business accordingly has a much better chance of success than someone who doesn't. Unless you have responsibility for paying the bills I would not consider a driver a businessman.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
:hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Just exactly what is YOUR DEFINITION of "Owner Operator"?

I am an "Owner Operator", leased to a Carrier. I own my truck, no payments, but plenty of repair bills. I consider myself a business-man. The IRS considers me a business-man, and the company I am leased to considers me a business-man.

Since you...a "Broker" have asked a question....answer one or more.

Are you an ACTUAL broker....or are you an agent of a broker? Do you possess a DOT number that identifies you as a broker?
DO you consider yourself an employee , a piece of equipment, like your computer, your telephone, or your copier machine? :moon: :moon:

You can stop being a horse's azz any day you want... Why not start now??

For the record...operators like Big Diesel, Steve Booth, or Solo379, are officially classified by the DOT and the IRS, as "Motor Carriers" since they operate under their own DOT authority, not under a lease, such as Mike3 or I do.

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
OrangeTX, your icons show me your true intellect.
I'm not bashing lease operators. I just wanted to see who considers themselves businessmen and who's just waiting and waiting for the next good paying load to hopefully pay the bills on Friday.
The IRS considers you a source of revenue and your company considers you a source of profit.
My MC numbers start with 3XXXXX and 4XXXXX, so that will let you know how long I have been doing this under my own authorities. I am a businessman who happens to know how to run a trucking company and broker transportation.
If you think I'm being a horse's azz, look at your icons (you juvenile delinquent posing as an adult).
And for the record....Dont mention Steve Booth to me in this context. Where is he now?? One year wonder, I liked his blog, but a businessman-trucker he wasnt. He was a hobbyist.
By the way, werent you running your own authority a few years ago?
Good luck with the bills on Friday, get your transflo done on time.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
You coulda went the rest of the day with out saying that curse word!!!

Thats right....you cant afford to deadhead when you dont really know how much revenue you made on the last load or where the next load is coming from. Go get a company truck. This comment is straight from the horse's azz.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Yawn................
Yawn............snore..........
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
The same thing could be said of any employee in any business. Are you claiming that every person working for a wage is a businessman?
I'm only concerned with truck drivers and company drivers need to think like businessmen. We move the economy and we do it through customer service and motor carrier safety. We have too many drivers that have no idea what they are doing. Before Jimmy Hoffa, drivers had to do whatever to make a buck and get the load delivered. Since that time, we have had Teamsters, and then deregulation and now it looks like we have come full circle to drivers doing whatever to make a buck. This aint rocket science and we dont need to be rocket scientists to make it work profitably.