User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just got a quote from PROGRESSIVE - who WILL write 500 mile radius insurance for the 1st year. $10,000 IF I have an Ocala (or likewise in the sticks address), 13,000 for Jax and $16,000 for 'Lauderdale. Lauderdale is essentially USELESS to me - but - Jax gives me most of the SouthEast and Ocala/Gainesville gives me more of the Mid-South. Been checking the 'boards to see which direction might be in my best interest - there seems to be enough van/reefer stuff to keep me relatively busy.

My SoFla income from what's left of my computer biz,would pay for my basic needs, trucking revenues would essentially make my business overhead (truck, insurance, tags, fuel, etc.), with a small profit if I keep my foot out of the pedal and my joyriding/OOR miles to a MINIMUM.

Run around for 3-4 weeks, come home for 1 week. Between the two, I should do well enough to keep both gigs afloat and bank some $$.

A company gig with NO OVERHEAD (except for basic road expenses) would have been preferable - but since immediate relocation to a hire friendly area is not in the cards for at least 6 months - Plan b may be the the better option. At least I'm getting some more solid numbers on paper, so I can make a more (better) informed decision.

Thanks to all for their input...

Rick
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Board Regular

You keep insisting on Progressive. Why? I gave you the link for less expensive 48 state insurance. I have called and they quoted me right at $8000/yr and I have no experience, but no tickets or accidents. That was for a $30K tractor and $10k flatbed trailer, $1k deductible, $1million liability, $100,000 cargo.

Other than calling this guy I have no affiliation. I just hate to see someone get ripped off on their insurance. His name is Eric Lutz and he writes in 9 States including Florida.

Clemens Insurance
Lebanon, TN Office
505 Castle Heights Ave.
Lebanon, TN 37087
(309)212-2640 (cell phone)
(615)444-5514 (office)

Last edited by charged; 08-07-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
You keep insisting on Progressive. Why? I gave you the link for less expensive 48 state insurance. I have called and they quoted me right at $8000/yr and I have no experience, but no tickets or accidents. That was for a $30K tractor and $10k flatbed trailer, $1k deductible, $1million liability, $100,000 cargo.

Other than calling this guy I have no affiliation. I just hate to see someone get ripped off on their insurance. His name is Eric Lutz and he writes in 9 States including Florida.

Clemens Insurance
Lebanon, TN Office
505 Castle Heights Ave.
Lebanon, TN 37087
(309)212-2640 (cell phone)
(615)444-5514 (office)
I called his FLORIDA OFFICE and they do NOT WRITE 48 State for newbs. I WILL call Eric on Monday. I was under the impression that ALL THE PRODUCERS for this company, would have the same companies to write for. Perhaps I was WRONG.

$8K makes it more viable - but also understand there was a $6K difference with Progressive - between FLL (16K) JAX (13K) and "the STIX" (10K) so a lot depends on WHERE you're declaring as "home port".

Thanks again for your legwork - I PROMISE to call this guy on Monday and see what he has to offer...

Regards,

Rick
Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Other than where you domicile, where you run and what you haul can also impact your premium. I am not sure about Progressive, but with every insurance company that I have been affiliated in recent years they want a list of major cities where I run. If you run New York, Atlanta and some of the other major cities your premium could increase. Starting out you have no real way of knowing where you may run. Beginning the second year in business you will have a track record and have something you can submit. If premiums are that high with Progressive they should come down once you have a year behind you.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Board Regular

Heard back from our buddy Eric 2 Clemens Insurance this morning. It is NOT LOCATION - there is NO OPTION for 48 state insurance, due to the fact that I have not had my CDL for a year or more - END OF STORY.

Progressive is my ONLY OPTION. Now to find a FLOP HOUSE near PANAMA CITY to rent a room from and ESTABLISH RESIDENCY - so I can actually have a USABLE 500 miles - even though I'll still be insuring myself to run most of the GULF OF MEXICO.

This is AMPLE PROOF that, despite the sunshine, beaches, nice weather and pretty/scantily dressed woman - South Florida is the frikkin ARMPIT OF THE NATION. I'm 3/4 of the way to walking AWAY from $1,500 a month of GUARANTEED INCOME from my other (computer) business (which is earned whether I have to walk in the door or not) and just moving to Georgia.

Will keep all here posted as things progress...

Thanks for the input.

Rick