User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Drive Tire Issues

I operate a 2006 Mack CH613 for an owner-Operator. Truck was bought brand-new and I was the first driver in the truck. I was offered what I thought was an awesome opportunity with a union LTL carrier that filed for bankruptcy 15 months later. I was off for approximately 5 weeks before being hired by a non-union LTL carrier. I was laid-off in March due to lack of work. The last two months I have since been hired again by the owner-op, thankful just to be working in thses dire economic times. Long story short I bob-tailed up to MI. to pickup tank for asphalt season. Truck in motion it did'nt take long to realize something was'nt quite right. the truck seemed to be wobbeling down the road at 35 mph. and up. At 60 the wobbeling was obviously worse. I noticed the left front steer tire was showing signs of un-even wear on the outside edge of the tire. The drive tires all show signs of un-even wear and cupping? The drives I'm guessing were improperly under/over inflated and might not have been rotated at specific intervals. I have respectfully voiced my concern for the tires. I have also thought to myself that this wobbeling? can't be good for certain components of the truck. I do NOT think that owner-ops are made of $$$. I'm more concerned with my safety as well as others around me and hold on to the steering wheel with more than the usual amount of effort in case the steer tire goes. I have approached the owner multiple times, and He says He has no money to put tires on. I realize that tires range in price from $300.00-$500.00 a piece and there is 10 tires...so I know it is not cheap. Am I being unreasonable when I wonder where and when something bad will happen? Also who would receive the citation if the creeper-cops catch site of the tires? Any of your time and insite would greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Does the whole truck wobble, or is it just in the steering? Sounds like a toe out issue to me. It would cause cupping of the steer tires as well.

When was the last time the shocks were replaced as well?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply and questions. The steering wheel has no negative movement. The whole truck wobbles. The bulldog on the hood shacks His tail-feathers all day. Not an enjoyable ride at all. Truck has 180,000+ miles. If taken care of correctly how long do drives under normal conditions last? I-m sure that there is an allignment issue from visible wear on the outside of front left steer. Although it does'nt pull hard to the left it does eventually.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Rookie

Also if someone could explain the process of rotating the drives. What about balancing the drives again...Would this help the wobble? Thanks again for your time,insight and knowledge.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

That would be fixing the symptoms, not the problem. You NEED to take it to a competent mechanic.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Rookie

You could'nt be more right. Just wondering if the drives could be rotated and balanced till my owner can print some $$$. Any idea how the drives are rotated? Front to back, cross rights with lefts etc...anything to make my day a little less annoying. Maybe I could take the bulldog off the hood and replace it with one of those hoola girls with a grass skirt. lol. Thanks for your insight.