User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Yet another IFTA question.....sheesh!

If you're at mile marker zero on a highway, do you have to count that mile on your
IFTA report??? Technically it doesn't exist, it's a zero, right?

I'm sorry I........................... couldn't resist.
Glad this week is over.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Lie about it. Before IFTA(remember fuel permits?) i would deliver to a warehouse that was on a state line. Address in one state,truck entrance in another. 900.00 fine for driving in the state and not purchasing a permit.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Lie about it. Before IFTA(remember fuel permits?) i would deliver to a warehouse that was on a state line. Address in one state,truck entrance in another. 900.00 fine for driving in the state and not purchasing a permit.
So, you are driving on I24E from Murfreesboro, TN to Chattanooga, TN. How do you record the miles when you dip down into Georgia? What is 4 or 5 miles?

I use a digitial voice recorder($20 at Walmart) to log all my mileage at state line crossings. I missed the first time the fact that I crossed into Georgia for those few miles before coming to Chattanooga. Actually, I was on my way to Florida so I reentered Georgia again very quickly.

For simplification of my trip report, I don't have a line for those 4 or 5 miles. I just report them as miles in Tennessee.

What about when traveling on NY17(Southern Tier Expressway) passing thru Waverly, NY? Doesn't the New York roadway cross into Pennsylvania? Maybe PA fuel taxes are less than NY, but what is it a couple cents difference?

I do record all miles, but it does happen that my trip report maybe incorrect for a couple miles from time to time. I would think that if the BOL delivery address for the load was one state but actually physically delivery location another state, the trip report would show a line but with 0 miles recorded.

BTW, back when Washington required 53ft trailer permits, the WSP would wait at the WA14 exit on I5 coming off the Interstate Bridge in Vancouver. They would stop drivers going to Camas, WA paper mills to check their permits. If the driver didn't have a permit coming into WA with a 53ft trailer, then he was suppose to drive up to POE to purchase it before making the delivery. That was 32 miles out of the way. What was the fine? I don't know as I was out of Oregon and had an annual permit.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
If you're at mile marker zero on a highway, do you have to count that mile on your
IFTA report??? Technically it doesn't exist, it's a zero, right?

I'm sorry I........................... couldn't resist.
Glad this week is over.
If I may hijack your thread for a moment. How does the fuel taxes work in Indiana and Ohio when using the Toll Roads? Are the fuel taxes deducted from the toll charges or are the toll charges in addition to the fuel taxes?

I ask because on another thread I have been trying to calculate and argue that Toll Road is cheaper than running US30/I71/I76. My company generally does not pay for the toll road, but I attempting to understand the reason from a financially decision. Hopefully, that an O/O here knows the answer definitely.

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/t...roads-not.html
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
If I may hijack your thread for a moment. How does the fuel taxes work in Indiana and Ohio when using the Toll Roads? Are the fuel taxes deducted from the toll charges or are the toll charges in addition to the fuel taxes?

I ask because on another thread I have been trying to calculate and argue that Toll Road is cheaper than running US30/I71/I76. My company generally does not pay for the toll road, but I attempting to understand the reason from a financially decision. Hopefully, that an O/O here knows the answer definitely.

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/t...roads-not.html

Hijack it I don't mind, I was just joking around.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I believe that New York is the only state that you are supposed to be able to deduct the toll miles if you travel on their Thruway. That is a major problem that I have running a toll road. These states expect you to pay the toll and report the miles driven on your IFTA so they essentially collect the tax on both ends. There is an exempt column on your IFTA tax form. Since I rarely travel the toll roads I don't use it.

I report those few miles traveled in Georgia on I-24 you mentioned, danske. It will come back and bite you if you fail to count those miles and are audited. The auditor can put your route into his computer and come up with the miles you should have reported in each state. If you come up short then he could fine you. You really don't want them on your case.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I was joking also when i said lie about it.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
I was joking also when i said lie about it.
Thank God, I thought maybe my humor was so lame no one got it.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Some take everything to serious.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I believe that New York is the only state that you are supposed to be able to deduct the toll miles if you travel on their Thruway. That is a major problem that I have running a toll road. These states expect you to pay the toll and report the miles driven on your IFTA so they essentially collect the tax on both ends. There is an exempt column on your IFTA tax form. Since I rarely travel the toll roads I don't use it.

I report those few miles traveled in Georgia on I-24 you mentioned, danske. It will come back and bite you if you fail to count those miles and are audited. The auditor can put your route into his computer and come up with the miles you should have reported in each state. If you come up short then he could fine you. You really don't want them on your case.
You are right that they COULD fine me(more like my company). All my miles are reported, but I choose not to complicated it by showing that small entry; I just account for them in Tennessee. Actually, I would imagine that this is a common error and Georgia is getting shorted many times.

Hey, isn't there a border dispute up there where Georgia Tennessee meet? Apparently, Georgia wants access to the Tennessee River for need of water and it claiming that stateline is further north then draw.

River Runs Through Georgia-Tennessee Fight : NPR

Oh, and I have noticed that my truck's odometer off by 0.8% under; So for every 1000 miles it records 992 miles. I have check this with my GPS and my trip reports(eg. I80 in Nebraska equals 451 miles) That means that I lose $2.88(I am paid off the hub 36cpm) for every 1000 miles driven which could translate to more than $360 a year. Should I complain? No, because I am aware of the issue and deal with it(just like when I got HHG and Practical Miles pay). Also, I am seeing how it changes as my drive tires wear down(eg. less circumference/more rotations per mile).

Question is how does the states like getting shorted those miles because of my odometer?