User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default IFTA and a few other questions.

I was still with Landstar when I was approved for my authority on 06/05, and on 6/8 I went and got my IFTA stickers.I did not start running under my own until 06/25 and yesterday I just cancelled my lease with LS.After my authority was approved I was still running loads as a BCO.Do I need to get my IFTA report from Landstar for the days in between when I was approved and the day I cancelled my lease?This will be for the 7/30 filing that is coming up.

Driver qualifications folder:
FMCSA called me to find out if I will need an audit as a "new entrant".They also said someone will be calling within 18 months to schedule an audit.All this stuff I knew and also expected.
MY driver folder:

Part of my driver qualifications folder will include a drugtest.I asked OOIDA if I would need a drugtest since I was part of a drug consortium while with LS, and they said NO.They asked me to get proof from LS and I did.I did get the results from a random drug test I took in March, their certification of being part of a drug test program and OOIDA sent them a form to fill out to show proof.
Does this unusual step seem familiar to anyone?This saved me $50 from taking another drug test.
I am also thankful for being out of that 120day inspection.Needing reflective tape on a headache rack at some inspection sites.Unbelievable!!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You only need to file an IFTA report on those miles you run under your own authority. Any miles you have run under Landstar or any other carrier should be reported under their IFTA. If you receive a form to fill out and have no miles under your authority then just put that on the form and mail it back.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You only need to file an IFTA report on those miles you run under your own authority. Any miles you have run under Landstar or any other carrier should be reported under their IFTA. If you receive a form to fill out and have no miles under your authority then just put that on the form and mail it back.
My next question is using Streets and Trips to gather miles.
I see many truckers use a sticky on their dash and they write down the Odometer mileage as they see the "welcome to state" sign.They do this for each state as they travel.I would hate to do something like this.At LS, I was always using street and trips.For ex...I have a run from atlanta, ga to lansing mi.
LS trip sheets would have this break down:

MILES FUEL
GA 112.7
TN 157
KY 137
IN 281
MI 81
total= 768

With this mileage breakdown from streets and trips, can I use it on the MN-105 ifta form?
I know streets and trips is not actual hub miles but at least it is closer than pc miler when comparing actual miles.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
With this mileage breakdown from streets and trips, can I use it on the MN-105 ifta form?
I know streets and trips is not actual hub miles but at least it is closer than pc miler when comparing actual miles.
I wouldn't want to go through a fuel tax audit using computer miles. They catch the odometer miles and there will be interest and penaltys that can be fairly high. It's a falsification of your miles.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I write my mileage down at each state line. I keep a ring binder on the dash and transfer those numbers to my trip report at the end of my run. I have been told that you can use computer miles as long as you use it for all miles/trips. This is hearsay, since I have not spoken to a IFTA person at the state level to verify. An audit should come from your home state so I would check with them to make sure you are in compliance before an actual audit, if you plan on using computer miles. I think it is consistency or continuity of the numbers that they are looking at during an audit. It seems to me that if you use the same process for all of your runs that you would essentially be reporting the same percentage of miles as you would by recording them as you cross the state line. Your mpg could be a little skewed using computer miles, which could effect how much you actually pay in fuel taxes. You might check actual odometer miles on a couple of runs and compare those to your computer and see if there is any difference.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Board Member

An audit can come from any state that you had miles in requesting it. It requires all miles on the vehicle. If you add the excess odometer/hub miles to your home state you may get away with it unless an audit turns up an odometer/hub that would have occurred in another state.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Board Regular

. You might check actual odometer miles on a couple of runs and compare those to your computer and see if there is any difference.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point, because there is no way I can always be on the look out for the state line sign.Sometimes I do miss seeing the welcome sign etc...
I will use the Odometer miles for the first week and then compare that to my streets and trips program.If they are pretty close then I will toss away the odo reading.
I called LS IFTA dept one day and they said they use Randy McNally Mile Marker to calculate our IFTA.Is that not software based for mile calculation?Is Truckers Helper or Promiles not used by calculating mileage from point A to B and then used in determining how you owe for each state?
If computer miles cannot be used then The Truckers Helper program that I plan on buying will do me no good.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I'll repeat what IFTA wants.
Mileage is to be true and accurate representation of what is done.(like logs) Have an audit that shows more miles on the vehicle than reported and it will cost you much more in interest and penalty's than the time writing down some miles.
BTW LS reconciles computer with hub/odometer. If your truck is included in an audit and found to have false mileage they will pass the fine on to the BCO.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

We write the mileages down at the state line as well. Some of out trucks' speedometers are out 5% - 10%. Also the drivers always have OOR miles that don't show up on S&T. It's not that big a deal to write the mileage down. Sometimes you forget and that's when I use S&T.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member