User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What are non IFTA miles on the MN-101/MN105 form?

[QUOTE=rank;454948]We write the mileages down at the state line as well. Some of out trucks' speedometers are out 5% - 10%. Also the drivers always have OOR miles that don't show up on S&T. It's not that big a deal to write the mileage down. Sometimes you forget and that's when I use S&T.[/QUOT

I just hauled a load from an auction directly for a shipper who never asked for my w-9 but just my insurance.I got paid a check when I delivered, and I don't think he reported it on any w-9.
Are those miles I ran considered NON_IFTA miles that should be reported?
Are the DH miles also non-IFTA miles?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
We write the mileages down at the state line as well. Some of out trucks' speedometers are out 5% - 10%. Also the drivers always have OOR miles that don't show up on S&T. It's not that big a deal to write the mileage down. Sometimes you forget and that's when I use S&T.
Exactly, so neither way is ever going to be 100%. The previous company I worked for had their IFTA tied in with the Qualcomm systems. It tracked ever mile you did in every state, and was completely automated.

Much better for audits.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

[quote=henboy1;455729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
We write the mileages down at the state line as well. Some of out trucks' speedometers are out 5% - 10%. Also the drivers always have OOR miles that don't show up on S&T. It's not that big a deal to write the mileage down. Sometimes you forget and that's when I use S&T.[/QUOT

I just hauled a load from an auction directly for a shipper who never asked for my w-9 but just my insurance.I got paid a check when I delivered, and I don't think he reported it on any w-9.
Are those miles I ran considered NON_IFTA miles that should be reported?
Are the DH miles also non-IFTA miles?

IFTA has nothing to do with your W9 or income tax. You should track ALL miles you run in your truck regardless of whether you are empty or loaded. It doesn't make any difference whether you haul direct for a shipper or broker or if they issue a W9 or not. IFTA has do do with the miles you run in a commercial truck in your state.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=GMAN;455733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post

IFTA has nothing to do with your W9 or income tax. You should track ALL miles you run in your truck regardless of whether you are empty or loaded. It doesn't make any difference whether you haul direct for a shipper or broker or if they issue a W9 or not. IFTA has do do with the miles you run in a commercial truck in your state.
IFTA has to do with the miles you run in a commercial truck IN ANY STATE. You do NOT NEED IFTA stickers or file returns if you operate ONLY IN YOUR HOME STATE...

Georgia Dept. of Revenue IFTA FAQ - https://etax.dor.ga.gov/motorfuel/ifta_faq.aspx

Rick

Last edited by SickRick; 07-11-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=SickRick;455735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post

IFTA has to do with the miles you run in a commercial truck IN ANY STATE. You do NOT NEED IFTA stickers or file returns if you operate ONLY IN YOUR HOME STATE...

Georgia Dept. of Revenue IFTA FAQ - https://etax.dor.ga.gov/motorfuel/ifta_faq.aspx

Rick
So we seem to be juggling both "IFTA" threads which I feel is crucial in this business.Earlier, we argued about using computer generated software to calculate route and miles.
Chris you are right about not using any software to calculate miles but the question is, which software not to use?We all know PC MILER/HHG or "wherever the crow flies"(aka straight line miles) is what is used in this industry to pay drivers.

I ran from griffin, Georgia to Dallas and then back to Georgia.I used my Odometer in calculating the amount of miles I ran through each state.As G man adviced, I also used the microsoft streets and trips in making comparisons.If most of you don't know, Streets and trips is close to hub miles unlike pc miler or Randy McNally mile marker.In comparing both, I had a +/-2 in difference when comparing the ODO and my street and trips.So you know what that means?Streets and trips will be my friend.The actual physical route that I run will be routed on streets and trips, as long as I don't make any U turns , get lost or take a route other than what I have on streets and trips.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Board Regular

I use google maps to get my miles out on each state.It is fairly simple,since you can drag the route from one state to another fairly easy.It does a very good job,with pin point accuracy.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Board Regular
Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
I use google maps to get my miles out on each state.It is fairly simple,since you can drag the route from one state to another fairly easy.It does a very good job,with pin point accuracy.
Thank you BOOM!Amen!Who said you have to keep looking at your ODO through every state.I just exited from the horses mouth(Ga Revenue dept.)The lady who helped me do my IFTA told me what triggers an audit.Streets and Trips tells you how many miles you will run in each state.I rather use a program than depend on a website that is based on internet access.
Can't wait to get Pro Miles or Truckers Helper.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I never really thought that it was a big deal to simply write the mileage down at the state line. If the software works for you and the state doesn't mind then I would probably do which ever I was most comfortable. When they do a audit they run your trips on their computer. I don't think they will say anything as long as the numbers are close.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT View Post
Henboy,
Check your PM and call me. Load It
Now, LOAD IT I am trying to reach you.I left you a vm and so did another independent friend of mine.
Check your aol email.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Another way to easily track your IFTA miles is to keep a handheld tape recorder on their dash or in the seat next to them. When they cross a new state they pick up the recorder and record the odometer reading. At the end of the day or trip they can listen and record it on their trip sheet.