User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Spec'ing a Transcraft 53' step ... Boy, this thing is heavy!

A brand new 53 ft long combo Transcraft with a 10' upper deck, 43' lower deck, tandem axle (rear axle slider), 17.5" tires, all steel wheels, weighs 12,279 lbs! It's not a trailer, it's a tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53' Tandem 17.5 Rubber.jpg (88.8 KB, 32 views)

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

that's not a combo. visit their website. the DTL-2100 is a steel trailer. The Eagle is a combo. Least I think that's what I'm seeing.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 AM

Whats your truck weigh? I'd make sure I could scale 48,000lbs with all your gear. I was told a sliding axle added 400 lbs to the weight. That was on a Transcraft or a Fontaine combo.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Rookie
Default another option

I have a 07 transcraft 53 ft three axle. and yes its heavy. i have an 07 coronado with a 260 wb and can scale about 86000, in texas. has a 43 bottom. 22.5 tires. ride height can get to around 37 with all three axles down. you can run spread, tandem and tridem. back two can lift with just a swith. done very good with it. It is for sale. it is a 3100 series transcraft all steel. only reason i am selling it is i just bought an extendable so i am looking to unload it. wanted to keep it but economy is what it is time to dump it i think the price is right at 25000 US. rubber about 75% brakes the same. just a thought. oh and because of the axle set up even if you have to run tandem you dont get the sway they were talking about. and california legal as trandem and all three down as long as you are permited.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Transcraft steel trailers are heavy, but they seem to hold up well. I have the sliding rear axle and container locks. Both add weight. I believe my empty weight on the trailer is around 13,200. There have been few loads that I can't haul with it. I would buy another, but I don't know if I would buy the container locks unless I was planning on hauling a lot of containers. It sure saves a lot of time when you load a container.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
that's not a combo. visit their website. the DTL-2100 is a steel trailer. The Eagle is a combo. Least I think that's what I'm seeing.
rank, you scared me I thought the salesman mixed EVERYTHING up! i went to the transcraft website and then talked to the seller. dtl-2100 is a combo, but it's a weird combo because they use aluminum only on the floor and railing! no wonder it's so heavy. the all steel trailer is called dtl-3000. and you're right again, the REAL combo trailer (the one that has alloy cross members) is called an Eagle. The model is D-Eagle. The dealer said it's more expensive but he's going to send me the new specs in an hour. Will keep you guys posted. The "tank" DTL-2100 came in at US$32,000. It's be curious to see what the price tag on the D-Eagle is going to be. All the specs are going to be the same (10' upper, 43' lower deck, 17.5" tires with a rear sliding axle)...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
Whats your truck weigh? I'd make sure I could scale 48,000lbs with all your gear. I was told a sliding axle added 400 lbs to the weight. That was on a Transcraft or a Fontaine combo.
i think about 19k lbs. it's an international 9400 with a mid-rise sleeper and 230" wheelbase.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Transcraft steel trailers are heavy, but they seem to hold up well. I have the sliding rear axle and container locks. Both add weight. I believe my empty weight on the trailer is around 13,200. There have been few loads that I can't haul with it. I would buy another, but I don't know if I would buy the container locks unless I was planning on hauling a lot of containers. It sure saves a lot of time when you load a container.
we don't haul containers so i'm not going to spec the locks. but light weight would surely help. according to the transcraft website, d-eagle (combo) should weigh 10,120 lbs with standard options (plus sliding axle weight and heavy suspension on 17.5"tires). Transcraft: Drop Decks : D-Eagle

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
rank, you scared me I thought the salesman mixed EVERYTHING up! i went to the transcraft website and then talked to the seller. dtl-2100 is a combo, but it's a weird combo because they use aluminum only on the floor and railing! no wonder it's so heavy. the all steel trailer is called dtl-3000. and you're right again, the REAL combo trailer (the one that has alloy cross members) is called an Eagle. The model is D-Eagle. The dealer said it's more expensive but he's going to send me the new specs in an hour. Will keep you guys posted. The "tank" DTL-2100 came in at US$32,000. It's be curious to see what the price tag on the D-Eagle is going to be. All the specs are going to be the same (10' upper, 43' lower deck, 17.5" tires with a rear sliding axle)...
I bet you can get a real combo (not a steel trailer with an aluminum floor) from Wilson for ~$32,000 US. 17.5" rims, fixed tandem, no tool boxes.

I don't want to sound like a Wilson salesman because I'm not. I've just been down this road that's all. Sometimes it comes down to the dealer more than the trailer. I've talked to Doonan, Manac, Transcraft and Reitnouer. Some aren't very helpful.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member