User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have had them on my truck for almost 6 months. I 100% recommend them. There are MANY advantages: Weight savings, less rolling resistance, improved fuel mileage, less tires to check the air on, better traction in snow and a MUCH smoother ride. They are a little scary bobtailing in the rain on my truck.

If you are running them on your trailer as well, you can have your virgin drives capped and run them on your trailer. The caps cost about 35 to 40% what a virgin does.

What if you get a blowout? We all know you are not suppose to drive with a blown dual, but we "limp" in with it. Michelin will pay the service call if you can't get a service to you in less than 2 hours. All you have to do is call 1-800-tire-911.

Check out the "blowout" videos at: Michelin Americas Truck Tires Videos and Demos Page Very impressive

I just purchased my second truck and can't wait to get them installed. I will wait till I wear out the duals that are on it though.

Good luck,

scott
Old 05-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
Are (Our?) newer tanks have super singles, and the boss has his pete set up with them, can't tell the difference myself.
Is that Heniff by chance? Or Altom?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I believe 100% of the New Century trucks are running them. Also, a few guys at my agent run them, but mainly for the weight savings which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300lbs v.s. a set of 8 out back.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrissel View Post
I have had them on my truck for almost 6 months. I 100% recommend them. There are MANY advantages: Weight savings, less rolling resistance, improved fuel mileage, less tires to check the air on, better traction in snow and a MUCH smoother ride. They are a little scary bobtailing in the rain on my truck.

If you are running them on your trailer as well, you can have your virgin drives capped and run them on your trailer. The caps cost about 35 to 40% what a virgin does.

What if you get a blowout? We all know you are not suppose to drive with a blown dual, but we "limp" in with it. Michelin will pay the service call if you can't get a service to you in less than 2 hours. All you have to do is call 1-800-tire-911.

Check out the "blowout" videos at: Michelin Americas Truck Tires Videos and Demos Page Very impressive

I just purchased my second truck and can't wait to get them installed. I will wait till I wear out the duals that are on it though.

Good luck,

scott
Most people that argu against SS aren't arguing over the controllability, but the fact you are stuck on the side of the road, instead of just driving on to the next shop.

Cool video though, always fun when you strap C4 to something

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I thought they would be a good idea, and on a newly spec'ed truck or trailer they probably would be a good investment. Here are my personal issues with the product as a whole.

1.When you ask a dealer about them,..they are clueless. Why would I spent that kind of money on a product that most dealers or tech know nothing about,...other than they are one big tire instead of two smaller ones.

2.Truck and trailer manufacturers failed to put the info out that their spindles, axles, etc would flex under the strain.

3.When you ask the tire dealer about their offset rim sizes, they are clueless.

4.When you call the "Guru" of SS Kevin Rutherford,...he babbles on throwing all kinds of HDXTA,1,2,XTA blah, blah, blah, leaving the caller more confused than when he called in the first place.

The product is a good one, but I think the rush to get them onto the pavement was poorly planned and some people bought them once and went back to duals.

Just my personal experience with the product, I might had leaped on them if every time I called about questions,...I wasn't met with confusion and misinformation
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Board Member

We converted over to them for the touted weight savings not too long after they came out- maybe a year later? Michelin had some deal they were promoting if you swapped your duals & rims for X-Ones- can't remember quite what the deal was.

It wasn't worth it, IMO.

The weight savings came to just 200 lbs - 100 lbs per axle- since we already had aluminum rims (they were doing their weight savings literature based on swapping from duals with steel rims to X-Ones/aluminum rims).

We didn't see a change in our fuel mileage at all.

We had to replace one that was barely used because it had a nail too close to the sidewall and the shop we were at wouldn't repair it and we had a deadline to meet- one X-One costs about what two regular drive tires cost, so that was a damned expensive nail.

If you get a nail, you can't rely on the other dual to limp to a shop. For me that's a big one. God forbid one blows. We've been told by several shops that the average cost of repairs, tire aside, is $1000 when one blows- it'll take out everything around it. That 2-hour deal from Michelin doesn't make up for the cost of the service call- I'd rather get to the shop.

And we never used to get stuck like that when we had duals. Ice and X-Ones are a bad combination- we had to start watching where we parked. We had A LOT better traction with the duals. In winter weather AND rain.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Was thinking bout putting on a set of those super singles on my rig, but doubt it now since it is a passing fad.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I think honestly "limping to a shop" is what causes a lot of damage to tires, and eventually another blowout.

For example:

Inside tire blows, buddy drives on outside tire 20 miles to a tire shop. 6 months later due to damage, the outside tire blows, so buddy drives 20 miles on new inside to a tire shop. Rinse, repeat, etc... Especially if you have any sort of weight. Probably won't do much if you're empty. I wouldn't even consider limping if I had more then 20,000 lbs on the trailer. Would rather do a service call and save the other tire.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Rookie

On my 4th set of SS and won't change. Already said here is the weight savings with aluminum rims and they ride a lot nicer. Had a Pete 386 loaner for a month with duals and was like riding on go cart rubber tires compared to SS.

All 4 sets are/were Michelin XDE. Had a couple of flats (company driver) my first set running on shoulders like I was driving a tank but learned to be more careful not to touch shoulders like 285 around Atlanta and the past 3 sets haven't had a flat. The fuel mileage pays for the tires. I get 7.3 to 9.5 empty but the trailer has to have SS too from what I'm told and the company I leased to do . Getting my authority in August and buying a dry van with SS so action speaks louder....
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Where I work, we've had singles on some of the trucks (most of the Columbia's, a very small amount of T660's, and a small amount of the Cascadia's). Most of those trucks (except for the Columbia's) were sent to terminals to have the singles removed, and were fitted with duals on aluminum rims. In between KW's, I had a Columbia with singles for a week. The ride wasn't bad, when compared to Century's with duals. The rim offset, well, lack thereof, bugged me. The outer edges of the singles were much closer than the outer edges of duals. Also, none of the singles on that truck were Michelin's. Two were Greatec? and I think the other two were Bridgestone. These tires were also 3" shorter (37" for the singles, versus 40" for fresh duals), which made coupling to a trailer a royal pain, when the rest of the fleet runs duals.
Our company has a VERY small number of trailers with singles, but those are for Buttwiper, er, Budweiser account. The customer I haul for doesn't have singles on anything, and neither customer nor carrier have stated any intention of buying singles in the future.