User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

A lot of the guys on the tradeshow circus are slow. My agent deals mainly in electronics as well, with well over half of our business in medical machines. My buddy at bekins is starving, or close to it. Having the right agent with right accounts in the way to go.

I won't talk any more about the money, it just causes graet debate. But I will say, having someone behind a desk putting together LTL freight pushing the back doors every trip helps.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Doing those trade shows he had to do a lot of sitting.
I don't do much sitting for shows. We have the connections to freight somewhee else to keep moving. If I unload a show in Boston, I might go down to Philly and DC to reload
(for example). A lot of drivers do sit on shows though until they break. I've done it a few times, but it is few and far between.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that I would be bored stiff if I had to sit around waiting for a show trailer to be loaded or unloaded. I met a couple of owner operators several years ago in Jessup at the TA. Apparently, these owners traveled with a major entertainer. They had a show in Washington DC at the time I met them. They dropped their trailers and had to wait until the show was over and then load up and go to the next city. During their time off they could do anything that they wanted as long as they were there when the show ends. One told me that they had to commit to staying with the show for as long as it went on and didn't have time to go home during that time. That particular tour was to have lasted for several months. It would be difficult for these people to stay married with their schedules.

I also met a driver who worked for the PGA. He hauled their trailer around which had all sorts of exercise equipment. It was basically the same type of deal as the show trucks. It would be interesting and the money is pretty good. If you don't like sitting around then this is not something you would probably enjoy.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 PM

On of the instuctors at my school to get my cdl once drove a 18 wheeler for a traveling surgeon. She drove the truck right up to the hospital and would even assit him with the surgery (in the trailer). I think she said the equitment in the tralier was worth like half a million dollars. She made a salary of over 1,000 a week plus if she ever got sick or anything, he would just write her a perscription. She said she liked it and would have stayed but the guy was a workaholic and she needed a place with better hometime. I always thought that was an iteresting position rather than just pulling general freight.