Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everytruckjob.com View Post
If you end up looking to finance a truck you should check out a company at www.wholesaletruckandfinance.com they can get almost anyone finance, as low as 450 on a credit score and they're pretty good trucks...

Watch out on lease purchase programs... I know of drivers that put almost every dollar they make back into the truck because they got conned and ended up with a breakdown waiting to happen truck...

Their prices don't seem all that cheap to me. If you need $5,500 down on a $39,000 truck and have a $1,200 payment then they must have a short payout time or very high interest rate. Of course, when you have dings on your credit you wind up paying through the nose for credit.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Default O/O

Check out Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers, type in whatever co. you're thinking about and you'll get an earfull.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll just insert this because I didn't see it yet.

At the current time, one of the best gigs in trucking I've heard of is a company driver pulling dedicated for JB in the Iowa/Minnesota area. His pay is the same as it's always been and he's getting 2700 miles a week.

I didn't like JB, but there aren't a lot of us who can say their pay is as much as it ever was. I'm doing ok, I spend a lot of time on the internet, but I probably did 700 miles last week. Did I say I spend a lot of time on the internet?

Ok, it was only 700 miles, but the good part is that it was $2.15/mi to the truck.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At least you got a good rate to the truck, lowrange.

JB Hunt has (or had) a program for those with their own authority to contract with them. Basically, you have your own truck, authority, insurance and they pay you 70% of the rate. In addition, you must carry insurance to cover any of their trailers that you pull and also general liability, which you really should not need. It is a sweet deal for JB Hunt. They approached me with this program last year. The recruiter who called initially told me that they paid 80%. After reading the contract I called him on it. He denied that he told me about the 80%. He conveniently left off the extra costs of general liability and trailer insurance in our initial conversation. The compensation was at the end of the contract in small type. I told him that I could make as much leasing to Landstar or any of the percentage carriers and not have the extra expense of my own authority or extra insurance. Apparently, there are some who are doing this program. It is comparable to a broker taking 30% of the line haul. Thanks, but no thanks. A company driver would probably do well with them. I don't see how anyone with their own authority could make it, at least with the terms they sent me. You need to look at the fine print very carefully with any of these companies.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
At least you got a good rate to the truck, lowrange.

JB Hunt has (or had) a program for those with their own authority to contract with them. Basically, you have your own truck, authority, insurance and they pay you 70% of the rate. In addition, you must carry insurance to cover any of their trailers that you pull and also general liability, which you really should not need. It is a sweet deal for JB Hunt. They approached me with this program last year. The recruiter who called initially told me that they paid 80%. After reading the contract I called him on it. He denied that he told me about the 80%. He conveniently left off the extra costs of general liability and trailer insurance in our initial conversation. The compensation was at the end of the contract in small type. I told him that I could make as much leasing to Landstar or any of the percentage carriers and not have the extra expense of my own authority or extra insurance. Apparently, there are some who are doing this program. It is comparable to a broker taking 30% of the line haul. Thanks, but no thanks. A company driver would probably do well with them. I don't see how anyone with their own authority could make it, at least with the terms they sent me. You need to look at the fine print very carefully with any of these companies.
JB seemed to have a sleazy corporate culture when I was there a short time. But, I had one friend who was there for years, and he was happy. Mostly, I was thinking about the company drivers who haven't been taking pay cuts and are still getting the miles. It'll be interesting to see if company drivers wages go down, or at least what they are offering new hires. Usually something like this will get mentioned when somebody talks about buying a truck in today's environment.

Come to think about it, I'm not in a bad niche. I probably cleared as much on that 700 miles as some company drivers will make in 2500 miles. But, with an old truck long since paid for, I have low fixed costs, too.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have met drivers who have been with JB Hunt for a number of years and are happy. I don't recall talking with many of their owner operators who are happy. Those with whom I have spoken over the years seem to be pretty mixed with their level of satisfaction. I don't see how an owner operator could be successful with them for the rate they want to pay. You would make more as a company driver.