Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
All right,
No problem at all and no offense taken

The rebuilt is around 10k or more.Radiator , air to air and all the hoses are around 2k or more, ac work would be around 1k, body work on the hood 5-6k, and things can go on and on.All these would cost me money out of pocket which i don have .This truck ate me last year around 24k in repairs.Small stuff here and there,headaches with lost loads etc.I'm just sick and tired of really dealing with it anymore. The truck that i'm looking at is around 25-35k financed for a period of no more than 30-40 months.I'm looking at a truck in the high 400's to low 500's miles.By the time the truck gets to 800-900 miles it would be paid off and i will get rid of it by buying a better one.I came to find out that there is no reason to keep a truck over a million miles, like i had this one.Stuff that starts breaking down, big or small is just too much and can add to the headaches.Trust me i have been there this past year with it and decided that it was enough.The amount of repairs almost knocked me down.

But anyways, right now i would consider a volvo too.It is a central refrigerated, cummings engine,10 sp, 355 rears.I guess these would be pretty nice too.I really like volvo but i'm kind of afraid of the electronics part.Oh well, let me know what you guys think.
I pretty much agree,if you get an old fleet truck, at least you know it has been maintained, at my last job, my truck was an ex werner it went fine for a million and a half miles ,when the engine spun a main bearing, the head mechanic said, put a bearing kit in it and trade it in, the boss said no, put a rebuilt motor in it, so then I had a truck with a nice new motor and a million and a half miles on the rest of it. it still spent every weekend in the shop for other stuff
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Rookie

"How do you figure? It's almost dead on to an OD13sp and 3.55's. People see the 2.93's and **** themselves. They fail to realize the fact the the tranny is direct drive..."

It is not a direct drive. I have a x-swift classic same specs they come with 9spd direct drives then when they are converted they become a 13sdp o/d not a big o/d it is a 0.86 final gear but still an OverDrive.
All eaton 9 spd conversions turn it into o/d go to there website and look for your self.

As for the specs they are ok while pulling my stepdeck around 65,000-74,000lbs I ran between 6.5 and 7.5 mpg depending on what part of the country I ran and no you don't spend a bunch of time trying to climb the hills you don't have to constantly keep spliting the gears either.I guess if you have not driven one you would not know.Now that I went back to pulling reffer @ 78,000-80,000 all over the country again
im running 6.2mpg so far.I keep my speed down to 63 and that puts me @ 1325rpm with the 22.5 lopro rubber.
I will prolly be going to 255/70-22.5 all position next go around and see what that does for the mpg.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 AM

Like I said, it's almost dead on to a 13spOD(.73) and 3.55's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgar50 View Post
"How do you figure? It's almost dead on to an OD13sp and 3.55's. People see the 2.93's and **** themselves. They fail to realize the fact the the tranny is direct drive..."

It is not a direct drive. I have a x-swift classic same specs they come with 9spd direct drives then when they are converted they become a 13sdp o/d not a big o/d it is a 0.86 final gear but still an OverDrive.
All eaton 9 spd conversions turn it into o/d go to there website and look for your self.

As for the specs they are ok while pulling my stepdeck around 65,000-74,000lbs I ran between 6.5 and 7.5 mpg depending on what part of the country I ran and no you don't spend a bunch of time trying to climb the hills you don't have to constantly keep spliting the gears either.I guess if you have not driven one you would not know.Now that I went back to pulling reffer @ 78,000-80,000 all over the country again
im running 6.2mpg so far.I keep my speed down to 63 and that puts me @ 1325rpm with the 22.5 lopro rubber.
I will prolly be going to 255/70-22.5 all position next go around and see what that does for the mpg.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
Like I said, it's almost dead on to a 13spOD(.73) and 3.55's.
You are correct.

An easy way to figure this out is to determine the overal ratio of both combinations of trans & rears by multiplying the highest ratio of the trans x the rear axle ratio.

13 speed; .73 x 3.55 rear ratio = 2.60.

9 speed converted to 13 speed; .86 x 2.93 rear ratio = 2.52.

Converting the 9 to a 13 results in having a .86 overdrive when the stick is in 9th and the splitter button is in overdrive.

When the splitter button is in direct, all the ratios are the same as if it was still a 9 speed, therefore you still have the same amount of reduction in lo gear that you always had.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM

The final in mine is actually .85, but he was close enough.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgar50 View Post
That would put you at 1387@60mph.

Revs per mile for that tire is 557! That's insane. That's near 1620 or so for 70mph.