User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The engine had massive blow-by due to poor, if not non-existent maintenance. So it was covered under warranty. When they did the engine work they screwed up the rear main seal, so then that was replaced. After that, I was going home to find the clutch slipping like crazy bob tailing. I took it back to find out the clutch was soaked in oil. It wasn't like that when I had taken it in there. So after some intense "reasoning" with them, the clutch was replaced as well. Since then I've had no real trouble out of it. However my EGR valve needs to be replaced, but with how slow things are, I can't really afford to just throw 1200.00 at it.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Rookie

I'd stay out of the mountains with those gears. Be splitting all day. Wont be able to skip gears as easily also.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
Yes.You are correct.It is a swift truck. Right now, my t 2000 with a 10 sp,3.55 rears runs me at 1500 rpm @ 65.Over 1500 at higher speeds.The problem is that it really needs a rebuild and that would cost me over 10k.And once you put money into it,It never ends.According to my numbers from last year,i had quite some big numbers on repairs.That's why i decided to go with another truck,less expensive, since the economy is the way it is.A little protection from both sides.

But yeah, if any of you guys had any experience with this type of set up dont hesitate to post.

TY
A disclaimer....I'm not an o/o, but a company driver.

Upon reading your post, I became a bit curious about your logic, and I don't mean it in any disrespectful way.

On the one hand, you state that your existing truck needs a rebuilt engine at an expense of approx 10k, something which you're not keen on doing : yet, on the other hand, you're perfectly willing to spend even more money on yet another used truck, which has probably been run ragged by its previous owners, along with questionable maintenance. What is the guarantee that you won't have to spend even more money on this other truck that you're looking at ? It's not as if you're getting yourself a brand new truck. At least with the truck that you currently own, you're quite familiar with its functioning.

Don't you think that a known devil is better than an unknown one, especially in this economy ?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

While I am certainly no expert I hear alot of truckdrivers prefer "Eaton rearends". As a matter of fact some of them just love Eaton rearends.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Roehl runs a setup close to that. 10 speed direct with 2.64 rears. And that is why they,

R oll
O ver
E very
H ill
L ast
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
While I am certainly no expert I hear alot of truckdrivers prefer "Eaton rearends". As a matter of fact some of them just love Eaton rearends.
Its a joke. Eaton rearends, get it? No?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider76 View Post
I'd stay out of the mountains with those gears. Be splitting all day. Wont be able to skip gears as easily also.
what would you suggest....????
i thought the 13 & 18..were made for situations like mountains..heavy loads...etc.. YouTube - Shifting Jackass mountain :thumbsup:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider76 View Post
How do you figure? It's almost dead on to an OD13sp and 3.55's. People see the 2.93's and **** themselves. They fail to realize the fact the the tranny is direct drive...
Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
A disclaimer....I'm not an o/o, but a company driver.

Upon reading your post, I became a bit curious about your logic, and I don't mean it in any disrespectful way.

On the one hand, you state that your existing truck needs a rebuilt engine at an expense of approx 10k, something which you're not keen on doing : yet, on the other hand, you're perfectly willing to spend even more money on yet another used truck, which has probably been run ragged by its previous owners, along with questionable maintenance. What is the guarantee that you won't have to spend even more money on this other truck that you're looking at ? It's not as if you're getting yourself a brand new truck. At least with the truck that you currently own, you're quite familiar with its functioning.

Don't you think that a known devil is better than an unknown one, especially in this economy ?
All right,
No problem at all and no offense taken

The rebuilt is around 10k or more.Radiator , air to air and all the hoses are around 2k or more, ac work would be around 1k, body work on the hood 5-6k, and things can go on and on.All these would cost me money out of pocket which i don have .This truck ate me last year around 24k in repairs.Small stuff here and there,headaches with lost loads etc.I'm just sick and tired of really dealing with it anymore. The truck that i'm looking at is around 25-35k financed for a period of no more than 30-40 months.I'm looking at a truck in the high 400's to low 500's miles.By the time the truck gets to 800-900 miles it would be paid off and i will get rid of it by buying a better one.I came to find out that there is no reason to keep a truck over a million miles, like i had this one.Stuff that starts breaking down, big or small is just too much and can add to the headaches.Trust me i have been there this past year with it and decided that it was enough.The amount of repairs almost knocked me down.

But anyways, right now i would consider a volvo too.It is a central refrigerated, cummings engine,10 sp, 355 rears.I guess these would be pretty nice too.I really like volvo but i'm kind of afraid of the electronics part.Oh well, let me know what you guys think.