User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "Your wheelbase is too short" - a ticket in MI

Most people are getting gifts on Xmas Day; others - like me - are not as lucky. I was pulling a rental trailer on X-MAS day and a Michigan cop gave me a ticket for "operating a 53 ft trailer with improper wheelbase; legal: 37-41 feet; actual: 35'4" My load was only 6,000 lbs so I moved the wheels all the way to the front. Usually there's a bar in the chassis that limits how far the boggies can go ... Because this was a rental it had nothing. I wasn't aware that I was in violation and I drove with this 35'4" wheelbase from Laredo, TX to Pharr, TX and then to Lapeer, MI; where almost after 1800 miles of carefree travel they finally caught me

Question: the cop took my driver's license "as a bond" because I didn't have $100 on me. He said it's the law because I'm from "out of state". When I asked him how I am supposed to drive without a license, he gave me the infraction/inspection report and said to show it to the next cop - if I get stopped. I'm supposed to call the court's phone number within the next 14 days and buy out my license - either in person or by mail. Can they do that? What kind of a law is this when they take a driver's license from a commercial driver "as a bond"?

I was cruising at 59 MPH and my logbook was perfect, so he couldn't find anything else besides the "improper wheelbase". I wished the cop "Merry Xmas" as he was leaving the truck. He gave no reply and shut the truck's door. What a guy.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Most people are getting gifts on Xmas Day; others - like me - are not as lucky. I was pulling a rental trailer on X-MAS day and a Michigan cop gave me a ticket for "operating a 53 ft trailer with improper wheelbase; legal: 37-41 feet; actual: 35'4" My load was only 6,000 lbs so I moved the wheels all the way to the front. Usually there's a bar in the chassis that limits how far the boggies can go ... Because this was a rental it had nothing. I wasn't aware that I was in violation and I drove with this 35'4" wheelbase from Laredo, TX to Pharr, TX and then to Lapeer, MI; where almost after 1800 miles of carefree travel they finally caught me

Question: the cop took my driver's license "as a bond" because I didn't have $100 on me. He said it's the law because I'm from "out of state". When I asked him how I am supposed to drive without a license, he gave me the infraction/inspection report and said to show it to the next cop - if I get stopped. I'm supposed to call the court's phone number within the next 14 days and buy out my license - either in person or by mail. Can they do that? What kind of a law is this when they take a driver's license from a commercial driver "as a bond"?

I was cruising at 59 MPH and my logbook was perfect, so he couldn't find anything else besides the "improper wheelbase". I wished the cop "Merry Xmas" as he was leaving the truck. He gave no reply and shut the truck's door. What a guy.
It may be due to the fact that you are not a US citizen ????
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
It may be due to the fact that you are not a US citizen ????
I think it may be due to the fact that this was Michigan, eternally cash-strapped and always looking for ways to milk Canadian drivers.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
That's par for the course in Michigan. If you don't have the cash on you, they take your license.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

One more reason I don't need to haul loads to Canada. If I don't go to Canada...................I won't have to travel in Michigan again.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Can they do that? What kind of a law is this when they take a driver's license from a commercial driver "as a bond"?

It varies from state to state, but it is (or at least used to be) pretty common practice. I don't know if they still do it or not, but Illinois used to engage in this practice. In fact, many auto policies in IL used to give you a "Bond Card" when you took out your policy that the cop would accept in lieu of your license.

As a side note, I would never consider hitting the road without a couple grand in cash stashed in the truck somewhere. What would you do if you got nailed at a scale for something in a state where they require immediate payment before they allow you to leave the scale? What would you do if you required roadside assistance in an area where the only mobile repair operation accepted nothing but cash? Both situations have happened to me over the years. Thankfully, I was prepared to make cash payment.

BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-27-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd simply refuse him taking your licence, you need it. Customs won't give a **** about what cop did in Michigan. They could refuse you from entering Canada.

I'd simply tell the cop it ain't gonna happen. If he has a problem, take me to jail. We'll sort it out there.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Michigan has been taking licenses as bond for years. When I started 15 years ago they were doing it. Does Canada issue passports like the U.S. does? If your license was taken in Michigan couldnt you use your passport as indentification?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

i was issued a speeding ticket just south of detroit and was told since i was out of state i had to post bond, or give up my license, he didnt give an amount, i just told him i had $40, he took that as bond, they only do that if your from out of state. You cant refuse to give them ur license.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I'd simply refuse him taking your licence, you need it. Customs won't give a **** about what cop did in Michigan. They could refuse you from entering Canada. I'd simply tell the cop it ain't gonna happen. If he has a problem, take me to jail. We'll sort it out there.
Yeah, I thought of doing that... But first he asks you for the license. I can't refuse to do that, right. He's a cop, I'm a driver. Then - when he has my license in his hand - he starts asking about $100 cash. I wasn't worried about crossing the border because I had 2 extra documents: 1) citizenship certificate 2) Canadian passport.

Watch my YouTube videos