User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Michigan has been taking licenses as bond for years. When I started 15 years ago they were doing it. Does Canada issue passports like the U.S. does? If your license was taken in Michigan couldnt you use your passport as indentification?
I had a ticket once in California - believe it or not for my wheelbase being too long but the cop just gave me a ticket and didn't require any bonds or cash. I went online, found the court website and paid the fine with my credit card.

As for other IDs, I have a ton of them: citizenship card, passport, heck even a library card counts as an ID

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM

If you have a CAA(AA in the states) card you can give them that. It acts as a bail bond card. They took my actual card once but returned it when I paid the bill. The next year I got a bail bond card when I renewed my CAA card. I've never used it since. The trooper whined a little when I gave him the card but went and checked around (I guess) and didn't have a problem any more. For the renewal fee it's cheap insurance. BTW I run Mi and they like to those Ont plates. I worked for a Mi co. for 5 years and never got pulled over. In 8 months with an Ont plate back on my truck I get 3 random inspections.:roll:

Last edited by specialkay; 01-01-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Question: the cop took my driver's license "as a bond" because I didn't have $100 on me. He said it's the law because I'm from "out of state". When I asked him how I am supposed to drive without a license, he gave me the infraction/inspection report and said to show it to the next cop - if I get stopped. I'm supposed to call the court's phone number within the next 14 days and buy out my license - either in person or by mail. Can they do that? What kind of a law is this when they take a driver's license from a commercial driver "as a bond"?
Well, now... This brings out a question from me...

In the State of Wisconsin, if you are stopped and do not have your driver's license on your person, or within arm's reach, you will be cited for driving without a license. So, if MI is holding your driver's license, what do you do if other states do not honor the paper that MI gives you?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Board Regular

driving without your CDL in your possession is considered a serious violation. Never, ever relinquish control of your license, have him take you to the nearest ATM if necessary.

New CDL Laws

As a commercial driver, several new laws will affect you on September 30, 2005:

* Holders of commercial driver's licenses are not required to immediately report their driving history to the MVA. The requirement to report ten years of driving history is applicable only when applying for a new license or renewing your current license.

* All commercial drivers are required to report any driver's licenses, (Commercial Driver’s Licenses CDL’s and non-CDL licenses) they have held for the past 10 years. Your driving record history will then be applied to the driving record Maryland keeps on you.

* Your employers will be able to obtain a complete driving history (instead of a 3-year history) and a record of any Probation Before Judgment (PBJ) rulings. The employers and/or perspective employers must submit certification that they are eligible to receive the information and that a commercial license is a condition of employment.

* The new law will disqualify you for:
o Driving while suspended or disqualified
o Causing a fatality through the negligent or criminal operation of a commercial motor vehicle
o Driving a commercial motor vehicle without obtaining a CDL

**** o DRIVING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE WITHOUT A CDL IN YOUR POSSESSION ****

o Driving a commercial motor vehicle without meeting the minimum testing standards for the class of license you hold or for the type of cargo being transported (hazmat, passengers, etc.)
Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
In the State of Wisconsin, if you are stopped and do not have your driver's license on your person, or within arm's reach, you will be cited for driving without a license. So, if MI is holding your driver's license, what do you do if other states do not honor the paper that MI gives you?
Technically I could easily get another ticket in this situation... I went back on the road after this incident and asked our Safety Dept to fax me a copy of my driver's license (I left on a weekend when the Safety was closed). Went from Guelph, ON to St.Paul, MN and back and the only paperwork I had was:

- a paper copy of my driver's license with my old address (!)
- a ticket from the MI cop saying my license was held in bond
- the inspection report the cop gave me together with the ticket.

Needless to say I felt vulnerable. On the way back I was passing the spot in the Lapeer County on I-69 where I got the darn ticket a week ago and I made sure there was nothing a cop could find a fault with:

- My rear and front licenses were clean
- I had all new stickers (2009) on the truck (IFTA and plate)
- I was doing 57 MPH with the cruise control activated (maximum truck speed: 60, minimum speed: 55)
- I stayed in the right lane 99.9% percent of the time
- My logbook was perfect
- I used signals

Somehow I managed to sneak through Michigan on Dec-02 without running into any cops on I-69. I guess they were all at home drinking beer after working thru holidays harassing long-haul drivers. I called the Court and paid the ticket over the phone and they said they mailed my license to me on Dec-30. Just checked my mailbox (Jan-02) and it's still not here

I'm not sure what I'd do different next time. Wait, actually I know - I'd make sure the trailer wheelbase is between 37' and 41'! So, I did learn something from this experience

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
Never, ever relinquish control of your license, have him take you to the nearest ATM if necessary.
And how would I manage that? The first thing they ask when you open the door or roll down the window is "Can I see your driver's license and cab card?"

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And how would I manage that? The first thing they ask when you open the door or roll down the window is "Can I see your driver's license and cab card?"
She meant have the cop take you to an atm so you could give him money instead of your licsense

Last edited by Fredog; 01-03-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Most people are getting gifts on Xmas Day; others - like me - are not as lucky. I was pulling a rental trailer on X-MAS day and a Michigan cop gave me a ticket for "operating a 53 ft trailer with improper wheelbase; legal: 37-41 feet; actual: 35'4" My load was only 6,000 lbs so I moved the wheels all the way to the front. Usually there's a bar in the chassis that limits how far the boggies can go ... Because this was a rental it had nothing. I wasn't aware that I was in violation and I drove with this 35'4" wheelbase from Laredo, TX to Pharr, TX and then to Lapeer, MI; where almost after 1800 miles of carefree travel they finally caught me

Question: the cop took my driver's license "as a bond" because I didn't have $100 on me. He said it's the law because I'm from "out of state". When I asked him how I am supposed to drive without a license, he gave me the infraction/inspection report and said to show it to the next cop - if I get stopped. I'm supposed to call the court's phone number within the next 14 days and buy out my license - either in person or by mail. Can they do that? What kind of a law is this when they take a driver's license from a commercial driver "as a bond"?

I was cruising at 59 MPH and my logbook was perfect, so he couldn't find anything else besides the "improper wheelbase". I wished the cop "Merry Xmas" as he was leaving the truck. He gave no reply and shut the truck's door. What a guy.

fyi
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Loads_dim_87014_7.pdf
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Board Regular

What I meant is, do not let the cop keep it, and take off. Do whatever you can to get the money for the bond.

P.S. I'm a girl....a she

Sabine

Last edited by Sabine; 01-04-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
What I meant is, do not let the cop keep it, and take off. Do whatever you can to get the money for the bond.

P.S. I'm a girls....a she

Sabine
okay girlie, I corrected it:thumbsup: