User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Sounds like my dispatcher deserved something really nice compared to all these others.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I have always gone out of my way to not be part of that majority. When I have been asked to do things that were unprofitable, I usually have accepted without much complaint, but also reminded my dispatcher that being a team player doesn’t mean ALWAYS taking one for the team… that it only works if sometimes you get the juicy loads as well. I’ve found that if you are always on-time and have a pleasant disposition that you get the best loads. I have also gone out of my way to develop a personal connection with dispatchers and customers. People love you if you seem genuinely interested in them. Also, most people love talking about themselves. Learning about the people you do business with, whether a dispatcher, broker, shippers or receivers, or your mechanic is just a good business practice that always pays back many, many times more than you ever put into it.

Sometimes it's the sqeaky wheel that gets the grease. you can get taken advatage of if you never complain. then there are the dispatchers who have their pets & no matter how you perform, you will never get considered for the best freight. I have never been late on a pick up or delivery. the current dedicated run I'm on, I have mentioned right from the start that I would take any load they needed.. the heavy, the narrow& tall, the tarped loads, e.t.c. whatever they needed. but still the shipper who loads us has her pets & they will get their picks first & if there is not enough loads, I will not work that day. makes no difference how my attitude is or how well I perform my duties. however having said that.. I never complain. I accept the fact that this is the game here. no one forces me to work where I do.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
I have always gone out of my way to not be part of that majority. When I have been asked to do things that were unprofitable, I usually have accepted without much complaint, but also reminded my dispatcher that being a team player doesn’t mean ALWAYS taking one for the team… that it only works if sometimes you get the juicy loads as well. I’ve found that if you are always on-time and have a pleasant disposition that you get the best loads. I have also gone out of my way to develop a personal connection with dispatchers and customers. People love you if you seem genuinely interested in them. Also, most people love talking about themselves. Learning about the people you do business with, whether a dispatcher, broker, shippers or receivers, or your mechanic is just a good business practice that always pays back many, many times more than you ever put into it.
Perfect. Good attitude towards life in general.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post
Let's put it this way, it can't hurt! I came back from the NASCAR and Indy Car races at Texas Motor Speetway in June and gave each of our 3 dispatchers a little $7 car with a Danica Patrick hero card in the package. While some of our drivers were sitting complaining about no miles, I was running my rear off. Not saying it was in any way related to the gift but, yes, mine will be getting a little something when I get back to the yard tomorrow!
I was kinda thinkin' the same thing. With this day and age of crooked politicians and CEOs and what not, might as well. Thinkin' i might start doing something like that, figure what....25% of my paycheck a week should do the trick. ;-)