User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Nice thing to do for your dispatcher. But, remember your good mood when your dispatcher sticks it to ya when things are hitting the fan. Most dispatchers will hang anything on the poor driver if it will make his/her sorry ass look innocent.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a nice present i love to give to my dispatcher... It's Seven Letters and Two Words... I'm Just Can't Wait for the day i can give it to him!!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Board Regular

Sure, bribes are always good.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrucker1 View Post
Nice thing to do for your dispatcher. But, remember your good mood when your dispatcher sticks it to ya when things are hitting the fan. Most dispatchers will hang anything on the poor driver if it will make his/her sorry ass look innocent.
Trust me, I’m not sticking up for dispatchers here, but just about every place I have ever worked as a company driver or O/O, I have had a good relationship with most of my dispatchers. I think a lot depends on driver attitude. Dispatching could be an easy job, but imagine being responsible for 150 trucks, 140 of which are driven by whiners that you cannot depend on to get the job done right. If some dimwit misses a delivery because he or she overslept, it’s going to be the dispatcher’s ass that gets chewed by management.

I have always gone out of my way to not be part of that majority. When I have been asked to do things that were unprofitable, I usually have accepted without much complaint, but also reminded my dispatcher that being a team player doesn’t mean ALWAYS taking one for the team… that it only works if sometimes you get the juicy loads as well. I’ve found that if you are always on-time and have a pleasant disposition that you get the best loads. I have also gone out of my way to develop a personal connection with dispatchers and customers. People love you if you seem genuinely interested in them. Also, most people love talking about themselves. Learning about the people you do business with, whether a dispatcher, broker, shippers or receivers, or your mechanic is just a good business practice that always pays back many, many times more than you ever put into it.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Rookie

point taken music man, I try to do my job, but there are times I wish I never got into trucking after a day of nothing but trouble to get or drop a load. Seems like these days nobody cares about what the driver has to do to try to make a buck. I am glad you have a good dispatcher. The dispatcher I have has never been in a truck and tries to tell me how to do my job. I will be moving on in the spring, hopefully, if the rotten economy picks up.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

never done that, always thank them if they are doing a good job and let them know I apreciate them. Even wish them a merry christmas or what ever holiday it is regardless of how good a job or bad they are doing.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrucker1 View Post
point taken music man, I try to do my job, but there are times I wish I never got into trucking after a day of nothing but trouble to get or drop a load. Seems like these days nobody cares about what the driver has to do to try to make a buck. I am glad you have a good dispatcher. The dispatcher I have has never been in a truck and tries to tell me how to do my job. I will be moving on in the spring, hopefully, if the rotten economy picks up.
I have had plenty of bad dispatchers in my years in this business. I had one that was a little Napoleon Syndrome, Jersey born and bred SOB that liked to verbally run all over people. This guy had one driver so angry that he turned around with his load, drove several hundred miles back to the yard, forced his way into the office, picked the dispatcher (Steve was his name) up by his neck and promised to kill him if he ever talked to him in the same manner again. Steve and I had a rocky start, but we came to an understanding after a while. The deal I have with everybody is that I will do my job to the best of my ability and always respect them and they will do the same for me. Steve got to the point where he would call me up just to vent about his personal life. Did I really like this guy? Not really, but I understood him and he understood me.

The operations manager of the same company had a similar problem with being verbally abusive. We got into an argument about whether or not I had the trailer loaded correctly. It was one of those loads where no matter what you do, it is going to be over axel weight. The company trucks didn’t have a sliding 5th wheel and there was only so much you could do, grossing 79,900 lbs. Mike (the ops manager) started cursing at me, so I hung up on him. He called back with the same attitude and I hung up again. We went through this a few times before he figured out that I wasn’t going to listen to his BS and he finally calmed down. After that we never had problems.

Perhaps it was a somewhat unique situation in that this is an LTL company that has a very hard time keeping drivers, even those who are bottom of the barrel types, for longer than a couple of months. At a company like that, if you are truly a good and dependable driver, you can get away with murder and not get fired.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-27-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
I've never done it, never even sent a dispatcher a card. Even so, my dispatcher is my sole point of contact with my company and I do appreciate the relationship we have and how he treats me.
What you need to do is promise them you will get them a gift but then never get it. That way they will understand what it is like to be promised something and then be lied to.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 AM

It never hurts to give a dispatcher a little something at christmas especially if they treat you good(sometimes if they treat u bad too). I usually gave a little something to my dispatchers even if it was only a card. I got a card this year from my boss and its nice to get something. It makes them feel appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post
What you need to do is promise them you will get them a gift but then never get it. That way they will understand what it is like to be promised something and then be lied to.
make them wait for the gift. give them a really crappy gift but really talk up how important it is. or give them a really good gift and the next day tell them they have to switch that gift for a crappy gift cause another dispatcher dispatcher needs it. :thumbsup: