User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Spreadsheet question

I'm using Open Office. There are a couple things that seem intuitive but I can't figure out how to do them.

1) I want dates in the form "06-31" I go into formats and set it up that way. I try to enter "0631" so that it will automatically assume the form I want, "06-31". It doesn't work. If I enter "0631", it comes back with something like "09-01". If I enter "06-31", only then do I get the desired result. The problem is, it defies my reasoning to think I have to enter a hypen everytime when, on every occasion, I'm just entering 4 digits.

2) Similar problem, I just want to enter something in the gallons column like "12345" and have the program automatically give me "123.45". Any way to do this so I don't have to enter the decimal everytime?

TIA
Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

i think you have to have the seperator in the number/date you're entering. I know you do in MS Office. For example, if I have a date format set to "mm-dd-yyyy", I have to at least enter "12/03" or "12-03". Office then adds the current year and formats the date correctly. The reason for this is that the computer uses a number code for the date & time. Most, but not all, use Midnight, January 1, 1970 as the start. January 2nd would be 1, 3rd would be 2, etc. So, entering "0631" tells the computer to use the date that matches that number, which would be the 631st day from when it calculates the dates.

For the number itself, you definitely have to enter the decimal point.

Last edited by Malaki86; 12-15-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
i think you have to have the seperator in the number/date you're entering. I know you do in MS Office. For example, if I have a date format set to "mm-dd-yyyy", I have to at least enter "12/03" or "12-03". Office then adds the current year and formats the date correctly. The reason for this is that the computer uses a number code for the date & time. Most, but not all, use Midnight, January 1, 1970 as the start. January 2nd would be 1, 3rd would be 2, etc. So, entering "0631" tells the computer to use the date that matches that number, which would be the 631st day from when it calculates the dates.

For the number itself, you definitely have to enter the decimal point.
I believe you, but that is ridiculous! If I thought of it, millions of others have thought of it as well. You're entering a large string of numbers (I entered 43 fuel purchases today), each number has a two digit decimal, you're also able to format each cell, and yet the computer can't be told, 'hey dumbass, I'm going to enter numbers in each cell, the last two digits are hundredths'!?!?

Now that I think about it, there still must be a way. If nothing else, couldn't you enter a formula that divides the number you put into the cell by 100? I'd have to play with it, but I'm pretty sure it could be done. At worst, it would use up two columns.

Same thing with the date, too. If you are setting the format, the software ought to be able to receive dates coming in different forms.

All that aside, boy, I surely love this spreadsheet! It was a bit ominous at first, I didn't know where to begin. Then, I found a tutorial like Rev. said, and started working on it. I was actually having a lot of fun with it once I got comfortable with how to do it. Everything is a puzzle, how are you going to manipulate the data? I even figured out a good way to do it for those occasions when I didn't fill my tanks thus throwing off the standard mpg calculations.

I was really proud of myself, I've got all my fuel receipts posted as well as running totals on gallons pumped, cost, mpg. Your can really track your fuel useage closely this way. Who knows, maybe I'll start tracking more info regarding when I'm getting my best fuel mileage. Anyone notice you get great mileage coming back from California?

Soon, I'll have to set something up for all my other receipts, and figure out a way to get my fuel costs on this sheet to automatically post to that one. I've also got to figure out a way to back it up, too. I may go with one of those online services because I'd like to trade in this laptop while it's still under the Circuit City warranty.

Too much fun, today. I learnt something! Hey, that avatar is just like Stewie, too! :lol:
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There should be a way to format those cells to get rid of the zero's. Check the top of the tool bar and look for one or more zero's. You can reduce or add decimal points using this tool. That is the way it works with Excel.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Board Icon

Spreadsheets are great, as long as you keep up with them. Once you start to slack off, it's hard to catch up.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There should be a way to format those cells to get rid of the zero's. Check the top of the tool bar and look for one or more zero's. You can reduce or add decimal points using this tool. That is the way it works with Excel.
It's not about getting rid of zeros, Gman, it's this:

I want to type in "12489", enter, and have the cell record 124.89. That's sounds like a small thing until you have hundreds of numbers like that.

I want to type in "0918", enter, and have the cell read 09/18. I guess it doesn't matter too much with this one, only it looks better with the back slash.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Spreadsheets are great, as long as you keep up with them. Once you start to slack off, it's hard to catch up.
I always add up my own receipts every year anyway, so it'll still be a time saver for me.

Where have you been? CDLofit? Blowing Kevin or bashing him? (aren't those the only two things anyone does over there?)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post

I want to type in "12489", enter, and have the cell record 124.89. That's sounds like a small thing until you have hundreds of numbers like that.

I want to type in "0918", enter, and have the cell read 09/18. I guess it doesn't matter too much with this one, only it looks better with the back slash.

You should be able to set up the cells to make those changes. With the zero's in Excel you can either totally eliminate the decimals or increase them to the number you wish. You should also be able to set the date field or cell up to show the date any way you want as well. The software should have a help on the page. Sometimes it just takes some time to work through the learning process.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post

You might check to see if you can set the cells up the way you want using "format."
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Ok guys...I'm pretty sure Open Office works very similar to MS Office

Try this...

For one cell...simply right click on the cell & click "format cell" then chose the format you choose to how the cell will display the content.

For a column of cells or a row for that matter...click the Number of the row or the Letter of the column so the entire row or column is highlighted then right click & choose "Format" & choose the formatting you want for the group. You can also choose the amount of decimals, whether you want negative numbers displayed in red or what have you.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"

Last edited by wildkat; 12-19-2008 at 11:17 AM.