User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm hip to formatting a cell or a column. Question, with MS Office, can you set it up so that inputting "19456" gives you "194.56"?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I believe you can...it should be in the same formatting options...I us MS Office 2007...but I will go poke around & see if I can find where...My daughter uses Open Office, & I *think* it runs basically the same, as she often uses my solutions to her spreadsheet questions...but I will go check.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

OK..this is how it works in Excel...hopefully Open Office will be the same..

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I can't make heads or tails of it just looking at it, I'll have to go back to Open Office and try it again.

I've been trying to back up my computer, I'm going with Carbonite, and that takes days to backup. I juggled my priorities around when I realized how tragic it would be to lose everything I've done so far.

The soonest, it'll probably be next week before I try Open Office again. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of my receipts, though. Like I said, it's kind of fun and I really have to get organized. I hope I can get the cells to format automatically. Thanks. I'll be clamoring if I get stuck again.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:35 AM

Speaking of spreadsheets, would a software program that allowed you to make a rapid informed decision on taking a load be worth something? I was thinking along the lines of being able to incorporate a truck mileage, broker pay history, do not call list, fuel consumption, and driver pay. It wouldn't be used for accounting or expense tracking, just making decisions faster. What would be more appealing, a run time version or web app. What would something like that be worth? $30, $50? I am working with a friend to try and develop something that could help the average trucker make more profitable decisions. Any input would greatly appreciated and maybe by March 09 we can have a beta version available for testing.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt602 View Post
Speaking of spreadsheets, would a software program that allowed you to make a rapid informed decision on taking a load be worth something? I was thinking along the lines of being able to incorporate a truck mileage, broker pay history, do not call list, fuel consumption, and driver pay. It wouldn't be used for accounting or expense tracking, just making decisions faster. What would be more appealing, a run time version or web app. What would something like that be worth? $30, $50? I am working with a friend to try and develop something that could help the average trucker make more profitable decisions. Any input would greatly appreciated and maybe by March 09 we can have a beta version available for testing.
LOAD PROFIT ANALYSIS
Old 12-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt602 View Post
We were speaking of spreadsheets, anyway. Fine, I don't care, somebody who actually chooses their own loads can answer. When I did it, there were so many variables to consider, I felt only your brain and your own mojo could determine whether or not the shipper and the deadhead and the weight and the price and the destination and the pick up time and the available freight on the other end and the other alternative loads and your timetable for getting back to the house etc., etc. You've got to feel it, I don't know if a program would be helpful.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
I don't know if a program would be helpful.
Actually, you'd be surprised how well a program like LOAD PROFIT ANALYSIS can work. You put in all your expenses, and when you are looking at a load, you simply enter in the number of days, the number of miles, and the revenue, and it will tell you exactly what your profit (revenue minus expenses, since there are some who don't understand the concept of profit) will be per day and per mile on the load.

No, I don't get a kickback from Tim Brady. I just know his software does what it says it will do.