User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default If you were me what would you do?

I grew up with trucks ,spending my summers going on trips hauling steel with my dad in the north east, driving the PA and Ohio turnpike when I was 15. Going in the Air Force and spending 27 years in a construction unit ( yes mostly drove trucks ie.flatbeds, van and low boys). I also owned a truck in the 80's hauling steel when I could. After I retired from the service I went to work overseas for about 4.5 years. Now there is no work and I decided to buy a truck and do what my friend s were doing , hauling containers. I figured that would get me back in the groove. So I bought an older pete and made sure I had everything I needed to go . physical, truck dot.d, hazmat. class a with doubles triples and tanker, new twic card(for port entry) BUT now here I sit. I have tried to put my truck on but most companies say that while I have plenty of experience the experience is TO OLD. I thought old was the definition of experience. I know that I have been out of the cab for 4.5 years but what has changed that I would not pick up? Do the trailers still go behind the cab? Is there any hope for me? don't profess to know everything but I really want this to work or I'll be back working overseas (not what I want). I have no payment and have the funds to keep a truck serviced. I also am ASE certified so I should be able to do alot of the service myself. WHAT AM I MISSING?
If my dad was around it would not be an issue but here I sit, help???
Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by team49 View Post
I have tried to put my truck on but most companies say that while I have plenty of experience the experience is TO OLD.
Who have you applied to? Sounds to me like they prefer to have inexperience behind the wheel so they can pay him $.25 cpm. There may be some legitimate insurance reasons but nothing that a little refresher course wouldn't fix I am sure.

Are you sure you want to do this? Things are tight and about to get tighter. Can't you get the army to pay for some school or something?

If times were better, and if you're not too old, with your drop trailer experience you could probably get on with maverick or TMC as a company driver for a while then take a stab at it on your own when things get better. Sounds like you have the mechanic side of things locked up and that is a huge benefit to the guy who wants to go it alone.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Sounds like you might be too old for TMC but you never know. They're probably laying off anyway. Just buy a used RGN and move equipment. Or find out how to move those wind turbines.

Last edited by rank; 12-03-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Board Member

I think you are a perfect candidate for trucking. i.m.o. though I do remember lately a lot of co's weather co, or o/o driver, stipulates must have verifiable exp last 3 years. so it does not seem to matter how many years under the belt. the most recent it seems to matter more . I got this info on this board looking at req. for flatbed trucking co's. best of luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Rookie

It seems that only experience in the last 2 yrs will work no matter how much experience you have. I would go to someone like tmc or maverick but I don't want to be a company driver, not that that is bad but I spent alot of my life going to places and doing things without the option of saying NO. At least with my own truck I have that option. Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Board Regular

Team49, not trying to be condecending...but why didn't you check this out BEFORE you bought the truck?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Rookie

I didn't think it was an issue. I did talk to the company I tried to lease on with before I bought the truck. They did not mention about my experience being to old until later, but I did not talk with safety person first. I am stuborn and will make this work. Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

check out powersourcetrans.com, maybe you can put your tractor to work there until you get some recent experience, you might like it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Rookie

I talked to them but my EXPERIENCE is to old!?! I never worked 48 states either. Thats ok because I would rather stay regional anyway(southeast). Thanks for the advise though

Last edited by team49; 12-04-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Get own authority, get trailer. Carry on.

Seriously, if there's a will there's a way. BOL
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You may check with some of these larger carriers who do training and see if you could run with a trainer for a few weeks and then lease you on. Much of the reason carriers won't lease you on is due to their insurance company requirements. If you have kept your CDL up since you last drove then that is about all insurance companies usually check. They want to know that you have held your license for at least a couple of years.