User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You could do as Floored suggested and get your own authority. It is not something that I would normally recommend starting out, but if you need income and have already bought a truck then that may be your best option. One thing to keep in mind should you pursue this action is that it will take a few weeks to get through all of the paperwork. If you decide to run your authority it would be best to buy a trailer.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Yes I have kept my cdl as I have used it to haul equipment for the national guard to hurricanes and such. I have been thinking about getting my own authority but dont have confidence in my ability to stay loaded and get paid. I do realize the insurance companies are mostly the cause.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I am not saying you should do this or not do this. but... do you have a friend or relative at a co with o.t.r trucks that would say you drove there the last few years. I know of an o/o who leased to a co & did it this way & he figured it out as he drove along. he had exp too just not driven last 5 years. so yes he
lied. but he has done well & now no matter what, he does have the actual current exp needed.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Rookie

that is something we have talked about.

thank you
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by team49 View Post
Yes I have kept my cdl as I have used it to haul equipment for the national guard to hurricanes and such. I have been thinking about getting my own authority but dont have confidence in my ability to stay loaded and get paid. I do realize the insurance companies are mostly the cause.

Thanks for the advise.

Most insurance companies check to see how long you have held your CDL. Although my insurance company has asked for the names and length of employment I don't think they have actually called them. In fact, my insurance agent told me that they won't call driver's former employers to verify experience. Potential employers will contact your references to verify experience. We are required to check for the last three years. I usually go back further with any new applicant.

You could get your authority. Unless you have a decent amount of capital it may not be the best time to jump into that side of the business. It is a real challenge for most carriers to keep their trucks rolling these days. You find more of them sitting between loads. If you plan on getting your authority I suggest you buy a trailer. It is much easier to find freight. There are power only shippers but you can lose out on many better paying loads without having a trailer. There are load boards you can subscribe. Some brokers offer quick pay which is a way to get your money early without having to wait 30+ days. There are also factors who will advance money on receivables or outright purchase them. There are ways in which to do this, but there is an element of risk as with any business. The advantage you have leasing on to a carrier as opposed to running your own authority are the larger freight base of an established carrier and you don't have to worry about whether you will be paid. The carrier will also handle all paperwork. There can be advantages to doing both.