User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree GMAN,and I think it wouldn't be as bad if the media would tone it down a bit. A lot of this psychological I think. People get cautious and hold there money some people lose their jobs, that's reported and more people hold their money and more people lose their jobs and so on. It's a tailspin that will be broke when things get cheap enough that people can't resist the temptation to buy, then we start the upward cycle again.

I think cheap energy will help to spur the upward cycle, as well as cheaper food prices, which should start coming down here eventually. There recouping some of the money they lost when fuel went up drastically.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
So in the long run I don't think high fuel benefits anyone, and I still say you can't have growth with high energy prices, it stifles it.
I think you are right on Rosty and I am pretty sure at some place in this thread I even said I was being selfish and narrow minded. I just want my FSC BACK! (pouts)
Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw View Post
I think you are right on Rosty and I am pretty sure at some place in this thread I even said I was being selfish and narrow minded. I just want my FSC BACK! (pouts)
:lol: I know it probably does suck. Hey, did you get the plow set up for your truck?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I agree GMAN,and I think it wouldn't be as bad if the media would tone it down a bit.

I think the media hype has had a lot to do with what is going on and was primarily the catalyst in getting the bail out through. They scared people who were afraid they were going to lose their 401k's and they started calling congress to bail them out. Media used to report the news. Today they seem to be the ones who make the news. issedoff:
Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Rookie

I agree with GMAN and Rosty. I am not hurting for money but when gas started to rise above 3 dollars a gallon I really stopped spending money on stuff I really didn't need. I have a chevy avalanche and at the time when gas was 4.15 it was taking me at least a 102.00 a fill up and thats every two weeks. Now take it for instance a guy making 10 bucks an hour and he is spending almost half of his salary on gas you don't think that will soon hurt the overall economy when half if not more is going to gas and home heating oil. There will be no need to go to WALLY WORLD and spend on stuff you really don't need because you can't afford to do it anymore. I am going to go out on a limb and say this if the politicians want this economy to move soon give every taxpayer at least 5 to 10,000 dollars tax free and lets see how people spend that money. Giving these corporations money is not going to solve the problem because if people don't have the money to spend then they are not going to buy anything I will not. They think buy giving corporations money it will have a twickle down effect i don't think so. Last, ford can make a nice fuel effecient car that cost 15,000 but if no one has the money or means to get that car then the sells fall in the toilet because no one is buying anything. Thats the situation we are in no one is really wanting to spend money because we don't know if we will even have a job tomorrow or just don't have the money to spend.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Rookie

I made more money when our FSC was .50 cpm. Now that it's .22 cpm the profits are lower. A lot of people don't understand how if fuel is cheaper, why are we making less money? It's a no win situation out there....
Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyky00 View Post
I made more money when our FSC was .50 cpm. Now that it's .22 cpm the profits are lower. A lot of people don't understand how if fuel is cheaper, why are we making less money? It's a no win situation out there....

Yeah, you're right, when fuel was $4.00 plus , our fuel surcharge was .58 plus, now it's at .22, made more money when fuel was higher.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Board Regular

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA When it was going up many was complaining cause it was going up, i lost 2 jobs cause it went up, now it going down your complaining it going down.. HAHAHAHAHA Sorry I just have to laugh.

Forget about the FSC, work on getting your cost of Operating down, and freight charges up. Years ago, not that far in the past FSC did not assist, and truckers made money.

Last edited by coastie; 12-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Board Icon

I wonder how all those people who were calling for truck strikes earlier this year are doing right now?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyky00 View Post

The fsc is only masking the real issue which is cheap rates. We need higher rates rather than relying on a fsc to make money. It is almost like a shell game. It makes some feel better when they get a nice fsc. Don't get me wrong, the fsc does help balance the books, but it is a farce. Carriers don't seem to want to address the real problem and that is cheap rates. The issue is that there are those who have nothing to sell but a cheap rate and that brings rates down for everyone when each one lowers their prices to meet or beat the competition. I have never tried to play the cheap freight game. It is a game that when you win you lose.