User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Planning expenses

I'm trying to work out the best way to calculate the truck expenses and break it down by the mile and need some advice.

I'm looking at buying an older truck - '02 Volvo with 900k on it. The entire drivetrain has been rebuilt within the past few years (engine, trans & both rears). Of course, hopefully, they'll hold together for a few more years before they need any more major work done.

Because of the age of the truck, I'm allowing 8cpm to go into a repair "fund".

Now, with regular maintenance items, such as tires, brakes and PM's, should I calculate those items separately (create a new maintenance "fund") or figure on paying the regular maintenance out of the repair "fund"?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Owners calculate their estimated expenditures differently. When most put money into a maintenance account they usually do so for major expenses such as an engine, transmission or rears. I prefer paying for tires, pm's and other expenses out of regular operating costs. I have known of some who put everything into the maintenance account and withdraw money as needed for tires, etc., If you plan on withdrawing money from the account for tires and pm's, etc., I suggest putting more into the account.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I'm trying to work out the best way to calculate the truck expenses and break it down by the mile and need some advice.
The trucking company I'm leased to offers to take money out of the paycheck for the maintenance fund. Then if I use their shop to fix my truck, they first take the money of that fund... But I found it's easier for some reason just to let them bill me for repairs - the do the work and then deduct the expense from my next paycheck. I use my line of credit or VISA for large emergencies ...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

That's sort of what I was thinking - using the maintenance account for major repairs. Also, if (hoping) I don't use it much, a portion of that account can be used towards financing a newer truck later on.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't set aside any cpm for repairs, it just works better for me to take as needed from the business account. I have a high limit mastercard to cover anything that I don't have the cash on hand to pay for.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
That's sort of what I was thinking - using the maintenance account for major repairs. Also, if (hoping) I don't use it much, a portion of that account can be used towards financing a newer truck later on.

If you don't need the maintenance account you could use those funds to pay cash for your next truck. I like to pay cash when possible. I knew an owner operator who used this method to buy his trucks. Money that was in his account and wasn't needed for major repairs was used to either pay down the amount he would finance or pay cash for his trucks. It worked very well for him.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:29 PM
BANNED
Rookie
Talking Grape Jelly has saved me 15k in the last year

Quote:

I'm looking at buying an older truck - '02 Volvo with 900k on it. The entire drivetrain has been rebuilt within the past few years (engine, trans & both rears). Of course, hopefully, they'll hold together for a few more years before they need any more major work done.

Because of the age of the truck, I'm allowing 8cpm to go into a repair "fund".

Now, with regular maintenance items, such as tires, brakes and PM's, should I calculate those items separately (create a new maintenance "fund") or figure on paying the regular maintenance out of the repair "fund"?
I have to say one of things that has decreased my expense is putting grape jelly in my fuel tanks. I had a friend at Knights turn me on to this product and I have been saving an averge f 2200% per trip per tank. This has been a huge drop off my ussual expense, and has allowed me to actually create fuel plus grape jelly for my toast that I make on my engine block!

If ever anything that has come to me after trying hudreds of things to get better MPG and save some money with my small fleet it has been this product. Here is the Site go visit I had the question about warrenty on my truck and contacted this company, and they sent me free grape jelly!

I was told this is not a fuel Additive but a new type of supplimental enhancer i is the best hing I have ever done for my truck.........and my belly!

For those who are still reporting this post..........read it before you click that little "report" button.

Thanks in advance,

~Management.

Last edited by Rev.Vassago; 11-29-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spam is evil and will give you acne
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

It doesn't really matter, how you call it, maintenance, business...etc. As long as you have it. Just never forget, that not all of the revenue left after regular(fuel, tolls, ins...) expenses is yours to keep. Part of it still belongs to the truck. Also, i believe, that $0.08 cpm, is kinda on a low side. $0.1-.15, is a safer bet.
Better to have it, and don't need it, than need it, and don't have it. After all, it's still your money.
I hope you have a work for that truck. It's getting offly quiet around...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I set 25cpm aside in a separate, high interest account. This is for both taxes and very high dollar repairs. I never touch this money unless I have a repair that I do not have money to cover in any other account (which is pretty much just an inframe). Tires, PMs, etc. are all paid out of my general business account. Actual maintenance costs including an inframe should be between 8cpm and 12 cpm for the life of the truck. Taxes generally do not (for us) exceed 10cpm (odometer miles). What this does is give us the money over time to buy our next truck and trailer for cash and we never miss the money we put into that account. It’s an all around good deal... or at least for us it is.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I met a man once who did what you are doing, Musicman. He puts money into the account and uses it to buy a newer truck. He still uses the funds to take care of any maintenance costs, but uses any excess for the next truck. He will either pay down on the newer truck or pay cash for it.