User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
Check it out, a really comfortable recliner on the floor, the bed on top, satellite TV, internet access, bunk heater...Now, I could wait contentedly for days with a set up like that! Who does that kind of stuff? Chrome shop mafia?
All you need is 120" sleeper and you'll be all set. Five more years and we'll have everything paid off including the mortgage, and I've been contemplating putting a driver in the truck I have now and getting a 120" custom and just running easy 8 months a year and taking the other four off. This job wouldn't be such a hassel then.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I miss Pepe!

Steve's over on CDLofit.com, it didn't sound like he's out of business. Doghouse got that new truck (had low miles one morning) is he out? Merrick, what's he doing?

I am around, thank you for asking. Not in the truck anymore. (I do miss it though). I'm in an office running trucks. Hate being cooped up but at least I'm in Florida with decent weather.

As for this topic,

The truck I was driving had a ComfortPro, it didn't keep me warm though not much does.The current driver says it's fine for him. On the other truck I bought, I got the Tri-Pak and the driver says what everyone is saying here, the bunk heater will burn you out of the truck.

I should be picking up another truck this week and it has some type of bunk heater already on it. I didn't know what it was and neither did the mechanic I brought to check out the truck (the dealer just made a comment that the mechanic has been in Florida too long).

Still debating whether to install another Tripak. I might shift drivers cause one I have now doesn't idle the truck at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
All you need is 120" sleeper and you'll be all set. Five more years and we'll have everything paid off including the mortgage, and I've been contemplating putting a driver in the truck I have now and getting a 120" custom and just running easy 8 months a year and taking the other four off. This job wouldn't be such a hassel then.
Isn't there something that can be done with a 70" sleeper? I lay in bed all the time propped up somewhat with a pillow and sleeping bag and such in order to spend time on the internet. I mean, I lay here a lot. I'd get a lot of use out of a comfortable chair if I could get one in here.

These trucks need to be customized, they aren't set up quite right. I really don't need that passenger seat, but to be comfortable, there should be one, good chair.

I like that idea of running eight months a year. That's what I miss about Landstar. You start to get your duckies in order and snow should be something you see out the window or on the Weather Channel and salt should just be something you put on your french fries. Set up a really comfortable tractor and drive when you want to break up the monotony.

I still want to know who customizes interiors for not too much. I'm learning to pay people to do a lot of the work around the house I used to do myself, it'd be cool just to get a bid on modifications to the truck.

Last edited by lowrange; 11-13-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Ha! I knew I could draw you out Merrick.

So you running only your trucks or are you dispatching for someone else also? I'd be real interested if you could show us what those two trucks are generating for profit. I aways kinda figured it would take 4-5 trucks running vans to enable a guy to stay home.

later man.
rank
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Isn't there something that can be done with a 70" sleeper? I lay in bed all the time propped up somewhat with a pillow and sleeping bag and such in order to spend time on the internet. I mean, I lay here a lot. I'd get a lot of use out of a comfortable chair if I could get one in here.

These trucks need to be customized, they aren't set up quite right. I really don't need that passenger seat, but to be comfortable, there should be one, good chair.

I like that idea of running eight months a year. That's what I miss about Landstar. You start to get your duckies in order and snow should be something you see out the window or on the Weather Channel and salt should just be something you put on your french fries. Set up a really comfortable tractor and drive when you want to break up the monotony.

I still want to know who customizes interiors for not too much. I'm learning to pay people to do a lot of the work around the house I used to do myself, it'd be cool just to get a bid on modifications to the truck.
They make trucks with swivel seats and sofas, y'know.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
They make trucks with swivel seats and sofas, y'know.
Yeah, maybe we should move this over to the recession thread or start a new customization thread. If I start laying over a lot, I hope to do some of the repairs and customiztion I keep thinking about. Not having a mechanic and a place to do all this, I keep putting stuff off. But, slow time and sitting down south...might be good time to pimp my ride!...No chrome, though, we're talking...creature comforts...:smokin:
Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

It's not perfect, but the fold-up table/seats in a Volvo 770 are a nice break from laying around all the time.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I like the sofa in my T800. Swivel chairs would be cool too bad I don't have them. Binders do tho.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:19 PM

I've been kicking around an idea for my next truck, though nothing is imminent: I'd buy a low mileage day cab and have the frame stretched. Get a cargo box from one of the companies that make them for one ton trucks, something in the range of 9' tall by 8' or 9' long. Then buy a small used camper for a couple grand and cannibalize all the components (shower/toilet combo, dinette, cabinets, hvac unit, windows/doors, holding tanks, water heater, fridge, range/oven, etc etc etc), and build my own custom sleeper. I used to build houses so I think I could handle most of it. If not there are camper service guys who might be talked into doing some of the work reasonably.

I'm thinking about the 9' height so that I could have a loft type queen size bed without taking up any floor space. Alternately I could have twin loft beds on either side of a 'galley' type layout with a rear door opening onto the catwalk.

It's just an idea that I've been noodling with while I drive, inspired chiefly by Doghouse. I think you could find a good used day cab for well under $20 grand, add an apu or diesel generator/inverter and probably have the whole thing ready to go for an investment of $30,000 or less.

Last edited by deep dixie blue; 11-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I think you could find a good used day cab for well under $20 grand, add an apu or diesel generator/inverter and probably have the whole thing ready to go for an investment of $30,000 or less.
I think you're dreaming if you think you'd pull that off for 30K or less. Building a sleeper isn't cheap if you want to do it right. I'd say $40K - $45K minimum.