User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
How cold do you guys think you can get away with shutting off your engines and not heating the block? If I don't always need the bunk heater, and I need the block heater on still fewer occasions, I might be able to get by with one without the other. I could have an awesome satelite TV system for the price of a block heater.

I don't use my espar block heater very much,probably less than 10 times since install but you only run it for the 2hrs right before you start up and it defintely helps with starting. I use it when it gets down around 25 or so and that seems to work. I judge when to start using it when the truck starts hard in the morning.

I think alot of it has to do with how well your batteries are. If they can handle a few 10 degree mornings then I say skip it,but if they are like mine I need the extra help.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Same here. When the temp is in the 20's, this ol' truck spits, sputters and barely cranks at times. Then again, it does have 896k miles on it.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I had an Espar heater that was installed with the Thermoking TriPak we had on our last truck. My only complaint was that the damn thing would burn you out of the truck if you weren’t careful. Even parked on I-80 near Rawlins with a 40mph wind and -15 degree F temperatures it would burn you out. The other thing I didn’t like is that it was not an instant on and off device. It starts up and blows cold on low fan until it heats up, which only takes a minute or so, but then when it would shut down, it would slowly “wind down” over the course of maybe five minutes (I guess to burn off any fuel that was in the burner, or maybe cool the system down first). The result would be that it would get a little warmer than I would have liked in the truck by the time it would shut off. Also, they mounted it under the bunk and put one vent in the front where my legs would be if I were sitting on the bunk at my computer. The thing blows so hot that it will literally cause skin burns if you let it hit your bare skin for too long. Also the cat would freak out when it would kick on for the first few weeks we used it. I think he thought the truck was on fire or something because he would howl like crazy for the first few minutes after it would fire up.

It certainly did do the job or warming the truck up though. Also, if you have weak batteries, I might be concerned that it could run them down. That’s not a problem if you are using it in conjunction with an APU that will keep your batteries charged, but as a standalone product, I don’t think the Espar has the ability to charge your system.

All in all it is a very efficient way to heat your truck, if not a perfect solution.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I couldn't just buy new batteries and put them in for the winter, and then take them back out in the spring and get the rest of the life out of the ones I have, could I? Batteries don't like to sit being unused, do they? I'm just looking for the best strategy, particulary since I might not use the block heater very much either. For ten or fifteen nights a year, I could idle my engine for eight hours in the worst weather.

If I wasn't concerned about running my batteries down, that electric blanket :thumbsup:
I knows how to tuff it if it means getting more money to all the various places I need it besides the truck.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

You cannot possibly exist in this business without a bunk heater. Period.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
You cannot possibly exist in this business without a bunk heater. Period.
If you stay south of I-40 you could easily get away with it. In fact, when I bought my first truck, I remember shutting down overnight in Elgin, IL. It was -12 degrees F when I woke up in the morning. It was close to 0 in the truck, but I was nice and comfy in my sleeping bag. The trick is to gut it out long enough the start the truck up and then get back under the sleeping bag 'til the truck warms up. It all depends on what you are willing to deal with.

Now I wouldn't dream of doing that... success makes you wimpy. I wouldn't dream of having another truck without a good APU. I love my Comfortmaster!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
If you stay south of I-40 you could easily get away with it. In fact, when I bought my first truck, I remember shutting down overnight in Elgin, IL. It was -12 degrees F when I woke up in the morning. It was close to 0 in the truck, but I was nice and comfy in my sleeping bag. The trick is to gut it out long enough the start the truck up and then get back under the sleeping bag 'til the truck warms up. It all depends on what you are willing to deal with.

Now I wouldn't dream of doing that... success makes you wimpy. I wouldn't dream of having another truck without a good APU. I love my Comfortmaster!
:lol: Ok, so I'm not alone in this.

Yeah, I guess I do need a bunk heater. What we were talking about is staying out on the road even if it means sitting around waiting for loads. That means getting really comfortable and really content spending time in your tractor.

Where would I go to get someone to take out my lower bunk and put a recliner in it's place? (no, I'm probably not there yet financially, one thing at a time)

Check it out, a really comfortable recliner on the floor, the bed on top, satellite TV, internet access, bunk heater...Now, I could wait contentedly for days with a set up like that! Who does that kind of stuff? Chrome shop mafia?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Board Icon

I've been planning to do that very thing for a while now. I'd also like to add a kitchenette and a bathroom with shower.

In the event that I do put a recliner in, it will have heat and massage.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
I've been planning to do that very thing for a while now. I'd also like to add a kitchenette and a bathroom with shower.

In the event that I do put a recliner in, it will have heat and massage.
Why not buy the Dog House? Isn't he out of business now along with Pepe, Merrick ad Steve?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Why not buy the Dog House? Isn't he out of business now along with Pepe, Merrick ad Steve?
I miss Pepe!

Steve's over on CDLofit.com, it didn't sound like he's out of business. Doghouse got that new truck (had low miles one morning) is he out? Merrick, what's he doing?