User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Only time I use Howes is when I buy fuel down south and run up north for anti-gel purposes only. I live in the Chicago area, and every time I buy fuel in FL or MS and run back up north (espically with the ULSD) i always have problems so I add Howes to the tanks on fill-up if need be.

I can say if you want to clean t=your fuel system use Bio-diesel. I tried it once and had to change my fuel filter 3 times in 7000 miles!!! I was a bit crazy. Well worth the money but untill it;s more readily available, i will stick to locations with LSD though. Although I did notice at the Road Ranger that there ULSD is a 20% Bio-blend?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgordon212 View Post

I can say if you want to clean t=your fuel system use Bio-diesel.
ULSD has an almost "solvent" quality to it, and works quite well for mucking up a fuel filter from cleaning the system. ATF is not a fuel system cleaner any more than a bottle of laundry soap is.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I dunno, with the extreme cold I deal with Howes is no good for me...we just keep it around our truck stops & stuff for you guys. Howes is no good for anything below about -25. I personally used a conditioner made by Kleen-Flo, it's an anti-gel to -70, a an ULD conditioner as well. 1 quart does most of the winter, a few ounces in each tank each fill does the job. But then in winter we run Diesel 50, which means it will not gel above -50, in reality it's heating oil.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgordon212 View Post
Although I did notice at the Road Ranger that there ULSD is a 20% Bio-blend?
Close Gordo. That is a 2% blend.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
ULSD has an almost "solvent" quality to it, and works quite well for mucking up a fuel filter from cleaning the system. ATF is not a fuel system cleaner any more than a bottle of laundry soap is.

Trying to follow you Rev. ULSD is simply sulphur reduced diesel. Were you referring to ULSD blended as 98% ULSD and 2% bio-diesel?

I can tell you from working with straight bio-diesel that it is some nasty stuff. Bio-diesel uncut will eat through Goodyear high pressure transfer hoses that we use in the fuel industry. It will eat the bottoms off of your boots. If it gets on your skin, it is similar to the sensation of battery acid on the skin. It burns and burns and keeps spreading as you touch your face, arms ummm you get the idea.

Rough stuff that bio-diesel. I'm just glad that I don't have to handle it anymore.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
But then in winter we run Diesel 50, which means it will not gel above -50, in reality it's heating oil.
Down here that is called #1 ULSD. It is virtually the same as heating oil (kerosene) but has 'lubricity' additives that are for motor vehicle (engine) use. Many do however use the heating oil/kerosene interchangeably.

The most common blend in Indiana is 90% #2ULSD and 10% #1ULSD. Although I have delivered loads that I have blended at customer request as high as 60% #2ULSD and 40% #1ULSD.

Makes sense Kat, the further one would go north, eventually the #2ULSD element is completely gone and you are running 100% #1ULSD (heating oil/kerosene).

Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Down here that is called #1 ULSD. It is virtually the same as heating oil (kerosene) but has 'lubricity' additives that are for motor vehicle (engine) use. Many do however use the heating oil/kerosene interchangeably.

The most common blend in Indiana is 90% #2ULSD and 10% #1ULSD. Although I have delivered loads that I have blended at customer request as high as 60% #2ULSD and 40% #1ULSD.

Makes sense Kat, the further one would go north, eventually the #2ULSD element is completely gone and you are running 100% #1ULSD (heating oil/kerosene).
Yup bel, you're right. I remember when I used to run down south we NEVER used #2 fuel only #1, your #2 is like our summer fuel...even winter fuel here is higher than your #1, but in a pinch #1 will do. I can recall putting just enough in to get across the border then get our winter stuff. I think the normal winter fuel would be good to -30, but haven't hauled fuel for probably 15 years so I don't recall what the blends are anymore...I just know that our winter fuel comes on-line around mid-October.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Trying to follow you Rev. ULSD is simply sulphur reduced diesel. Were you referring to ULSD blended as 98% ULSD and 2% bio-diesel?
I got my information regarding ULSD directly from one of the chemists who was initially involved in producing it for one of the major oil companies (Chevron Texaco, if I remember correctly. I moved her family back when I ran HHG.). I had asked her about the concern that many drivers were having regarding plugged fuel filters when they were changing over to the new fuel. She stated that they were having the same issues with their pipelines, that the ULSD was "stripping" them of residue, and acting almost as a solvent. At that time, there were many drivers who were swearing that putting used engine oil was "adding lubricity" to the fuel. She was shocked to hear this, and empathetically stated that they were likely recreating the problem over and over.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
That actually happened to me some years ago, partssman. Fortunately, I still had the empty container with me. Of course, an analysis would have confirmed what I told him. I think that was the last time that I had my fuel checked. I think that if you had your fuel receipts with you it would not be a problem any way.
When drivers come in the shop giving me a hard I threaten them with doing it and calling DOT and tell them they're running "switcher" fuel They know I wouldn't do it, but they wonder off to go pester somebody else.

Good thing your DOT man had a bit of common sense. A $10,000 fine would have messed up the months profit margin.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by partssman View Post
When drivers come in the shop giving me a hard I threaten them with doing it and calling DOT and tell them they're running "switcher" fuel They know I wouldn't do it, but they wonder off to go pester somebody else.

Good thing your DOT man had a bit of common sense. A $10,000 fine would have messed up the months profit margin.

I wasn't too worried about it. I knew that I hadn't done anything wrong. I have never put off road diesel in any of my trucks. I suppose a DOT guy could hassle you if they wanted but most won't hassle you much as long as you don't give them an attitude. We didn't have all the additives when I started driving. We had to improvise. Some used to put their old motor oil in their fuel. A lot of us used transmission fluid to clean our injectors. Alcohol works to help get rid of some of the water in your fuel. You need to use the highest alcohol content you can find. I have also used alcohol to stop gelling once. I was in the mountains of New York late one night and it was the only thing that I had. I wasn't sure that it would work, but it did. I still keep rubbing alcohol in my truck. Nothing works as well if you have ice in your air lines. It only takes a few minutes to open a line clogged with ice. Just pour some in your glad hands and pump your brakes and work everything with air. As soon as you can you need to evacuate your lines to get the moisture out. It is cheap and works very well. I have helped a lot of drivers over the years with rubbing alcohol. It saved them a lot of money on road calls. I know some drivers and owner operators who regularly use various types of lubricants. I don't. I have found the simple things work best for me.