Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
This ass kept calling to me make sure I got those docs.I definitely cannot run my business with those rates but I have so far found 4 brokers that will keep me busy and I need about 3 more to go.

Then as an Independent, sometimes you sit all days waiting for a confirmation sheet/rate agreement after you fax them your W9,authority and insurance.Some may say Landstar is better becasue you can keep moving quicker since you don't wait.This is true but I bet you, most of the times you cannot book 2 loads in advance on 2 800+mile runs.It is more like one 200mile run and maybe an 800+ mile run.
Not too many options, and this is what I am giving up, but I also have 30 days to come back if this does not work out.
I would not necessarily count on any one or handful of brokers who tell you they can guarantee that they can keep you busy. This business changes daily. You can sometimes book loads in advance, but most brokers don't want to book anything too far in advance. Some of them don't even get notice of loads until they receive an email or fax from the shipper. When they are notified they may only have a matter of hours to get a truck to the shipper. You can sit with Landstar as with any other carrier, especially when you are in a bad area or the economy is soft. And you are not going to have a good feel of how it is to run your authority in only 30 days. I would prepare for at least several months. If you should decide to go back with Landstar they will still approve you as long as you left on a good basis with them. If not, there are plenty of good carriers who are always looking for good owner operators. There are some where you can earn just as much or more without all the hassles and nickel and dime charges. I am not down on Landstar, but there are other options.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM

I'd wait till march or april, february is generally pretty quiet for open freight and there's a lot of competition for what is available.

Good luck HB
Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM

First of all most ins. companies won't let anyone with less than 2 years verified driving work for you, so forget your friend. I got authority in 96 and still have it. While still maintaining my ins. and authority I am leased to someone else because I was working to hard to find good loads. Right now broker freight is down. I worked with many good brokers thru the years but when it's a shippers market as it is presantly they can't help much. I went from 1 truck in 96 to 7 trucks in 99 (3 mine- 4 lease operators) I did well but life is much easier now. I do highly recomend you taking the plunge but not right now. keep saving, don't bother checking on rates as much as freight availabilty. The more loads out there the higher the rates. One more thing, the more work you can do on your own equipment the better chance you have of surviving. Also on the landstar issue. For a period of two years we had a steady run going thru landstar. The rate was very high and to my knoledge it was never offered to L.S O/O we did three or four a week and if we couldn't get to it they would change p/u or del. time so they wouldn't have to put it in the system. I got the impression than that they were't very faithful to thier own. Sorry for the long winded answer but now is not the time. I think if things turn around it will be like it was in the '90's when even slow people like myself thrived.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwhatdahey View Post
I'd wait till march or april,
2009, or 2010 possibly...
Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Doing a search of available freight on L/S for flat/step in a 50 mi. radius of Chicago turned up 47 loads this morning, I've never seen less than 130 or so. I'd say it's pretty slow, up where I live (nw of Green Bay, Wi.) it's worse, I guess I'll have more time to get things done at the house.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwhatdahey View Post
Doing a search of available freight on L/S for flat/step in a 50 mi. radius of Chicago turned up 47 loads this morning, I've never seen less than 130 or so. I'd say it's pretty slow, up where I live (nw of Green Bay, Wi.) it's worse, I guess I'll have more time to get things done at the house.
I also think it is a good advice to wait until april.
Chief, are these loads on the broker side or the BCO load board.I am currently at home and I am quite scared to go out there and get stuck with someone else' cheap freight.I am trying hard to book 2 loads ahead before leaving the house and be back in at least 10 days.

Last edited by henboy1; 10-21-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't sit all day waiting on a rate confirmation. If a broker is taking that long they are trying to find someone who will take the load for less than you. Unless there is a good reason for a delay you should have a rate confirmation in a few minutes. It should not take more than about 20 minutes in any case. I usually don't set up with a lot of brokers until there is a load that I want to haul for them. Most brokers don't want to expend the time to set you up in their system until you take a load. You could set up with a few of the larger brokers such as Landstar, CH Robinson, etc., but I would not waste a lot of time setting up with brokers that you don't know if you will haul for them or not. Since you are already with Landstar that would be a good place to start. You already know some agents to call for freight. Whether it is Landstar or some other broker there are loads they will not give you until you prove yourself. I have gotten loads before due to my safety rating. There are some brokers and/or shippers who will not do business with you until you have been in business for at least a year. There isn't much difference in leasing to Landstar and running your own authority. There are differences in that you have more options for freight as an independent. You also will need to do more paperwork as an independent. As an independent you don't have the safety net of a carrier. You are the carrier. Landstar charges you 2% off the top for insurance so you will not really be paying much, if any more running your own authority than you are as an independent.
henboy,

The above post is well said. I cannot comment on the flatbed/stepdeck side of the business as I do not have any experience in that world. But in regards to starting out, sign up with the big boys, CHR, TQL , Landstar etc... and yes they do have cheap rates, but you can always negotiate with them.... and you don't need to worry when the check will arrive or if it will be good....
Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Board Regular
Angry This is why I made my decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
2009, or 2010 possibly...

Step/Single Drop Deck/flat Loads posted
starting within 100 miles of ATLANTA
1.www.landstaronline.com
25 loads posted within the last 3 hrs

2.www.getloaded.com
70 loads posted within the last 4hrs
3.www.eflatbed.com
1 load posted within the last 4 hrs

4.CH ROBINSON
2 loads posted within the last 4 hrs

5.www.internettruckstop.com
91 loads posted within the last 4 hrs.
6.memebersedge
31 loads in the past 4hrs

Last edited by henboy1; 10-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
I also think it is a good advice to wait until april.
Chief, are these loads on the broker side or the BCO load board.I am currently at home and I am quite scared to go out there and get stock with some else' cheap freight.I am trying hard to book 2 loads ahead before leaving the house and be back in at least 10 days.
BCO board HB. I'm not in too big a hurry to go out there and sit given what is showing up in the Chicago area either. Like I said earlier, I have plenty to do at the house to keep me busy for a while and I have cash squirreled away so I'm not too worried for now.

When you get moving with your gig and if you aren't afraid to tarp call 2 Brothers Trans in Ca. ask for Frank, you could also call Aloha Freightways in Addison, Il. ask for Jim. Both these co's move a lot of ltl tool machinery and the rates can be pretty good.

If you're feeling really ambitious go online and search for used tool machine dealers either on Google or Thomas Register, many of the smaller dealers have a hard time getting carriers that are worth a darn, the ones I dealt with when I was an indie could be demanding but it was worth it.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"I called a couple of brokers that will keep me busy from GA."
Sounds like RSL or TD. Or maybe Bennett.