User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Clutch ?

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why I can't get truck into gear after sitting for 8 months. Parked my W900 and put my authority on hold about 8 months ago. Have been starting it every week or so and letting it run. Only have taken it out on the road twice during this time. Went out there this afternoon, truck started right up, let it warm up tried to put it in gear, no go. What can I check or do to get it to go into gear. Thanks in advance, Scooter
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might check to see if any of your linkage in in a bind. You may also want to check to see if there are any air leaks around the transmission. Class 8 trucks use air for about everything.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There is also a chance that the clutch plates might be "set" to the pressure plates. Much like brakes "stick" after sitting for a few months. If the linkage is working, and the fork in the bell-housing is working, one of the things you might try...

With the engine stopped, put the truck in gear. Hold the clutch in, and crank the engine. (If the truck starts moving, you can immediately shut down before it goes anywhere) Unless you have ceramic clutches, the friction surfaces should be "metal composition". Much like brake shoes, when left sitting, they can begin to rust and "seize" to the pressure plates. It may take a "jolt" or load like starting in gear to get them to break loose. I've never had to do that, but I guess I would try about 3rd or 4th gear for this.

For a time after you get them to free up, you may also experience them to "grab" when you try to take off easy.

By all means, make certain that everything else associated with the clutch is working properly.

The other thing that crossed my mind. If, while sitting, any lubricant might have seeped onto the clutch-brake surface, it will have a very hard time trying to stop the disks from rotating so that you can shift. Not sure what to tell you if that's the case.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies, I will try these and see if it works. If you have any more suggestions feel free to post them. Thanks again guys!!