User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Excess Idle Question

GMAN (Or others)

I have a friend who is a company driver for a major reefer carrier. This company now charges their company drivers for fuel idle usage above 30% idling. Also this company does not and I hear has no intention of installing APU”S. I believe they call it Excess Idling Charge, don’t quote me there. Depending on where the drivers are routed and both delayed unloading & loading waits, idling times can vary, if one is in the SW for an extended time in summer months and the Temp. Is staying at the triple digits, the tractor / condo will not stay comfortable very long (Not a whole lot of insulation in these) when you shut the engine off to keep idle percentage down. Also when your in the SW and are down for your ten hour rest, a 34 hour reset it or waiting 24+ hours for the next load it does become very unbearable to rest or sleep in a cab that is at 90+ degrees with out idling to keep it decent. Trying to keep at 30% or less is really showing on these drivers. Loss of sleep & they are getting very fatigued. I would guess this is leading into a safety condition and not meeting the required DOT required rest time. Then on top of this are the Company phone calls & Computer dings while one is trying to sleep. This is presently a summer issue but soon it will be a Winter issue to keep warm. . OK off my bandwagon. Ready for good, bad & ugly responses.

Question:
With this company now deducting each week or two from the drivers pay for excess idling fuel use will this deduction be an item that can be used as a deduction at tax time for the drivers to get some recoup?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

This is the opposite of drivers who (even before all this anti-idling stuff) tried to meet fuel usage quotas to get bonuses. I remember JB Hunt drivers back in the day sleeping in those mummy sleeping bags so they wouldn't have to idle the truck for heat in the winter. I don't recall this being an issue in the summer- of course, there's only so much you can do.

I agree that this practice (and anti idling legislation in general) often poses a safety hazard when drivers can't sleep.

Do you know what the charge is? Does the company allow Idleaire use (I'm not a fan of Idleaire, but I suppose it's better than nothing when you need a/c).
Old 10-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Rookie
Question Tweety Bird

What I have heard is the charge the drivers what the company pays by the gallon.

The do not pay for idleair. If driver wanto use it is on their dime.

Thanks for your reply.

Any comment on my question?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
What I have heard is the charge the drivers what the company pays by the gallon.

The do not pay for idleair. If driver wanto use it is on their dime.

Thanks for your reply.

Any comment on my question?

Yez,WHAT idiot would want to keep driving for thiz company and keep putting up with itz nonsense. This past August there was a KLLM driver that waz complaining of heat stroke becauze he cannot idle for thiz much time. WHY keep driving for theze companiez and put life and health at risk if they are too cheap to put in APU or pay for IDleaire? There are companiez that have apu and pay the same or better. IF your only choice is to stay with company that have idle limitation with no APU than it iz time for another line of work,no?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Digit Bob View Post
Yez,WHAT idiot would want to keep driving for thiz company and keep putting up with itz nonsense. This past August there was a KLLM driver that waz complaining of heat stroke becauze he cannot idle for thiz much time. WHY keep driving for theze companiez and put life and health at risk if they are too cheap to put in APU or pay for IDleaire? There are companiez that have apu and pay the same or better. IF your only choice is to stay with company that have idle limitation with no APU than it iz time for another line of work,no?
You haz gaz heat in your truck wit your fartz, right bobby boy??
Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
You haz gaz heat in your truck wit your fartz, right bobby boy??

Yez but I pay no extra for idle. I get nize hotel. IF I want idle that iz my choice.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Carriers are trying to save where they can. Unfortunately, some drivers will keep their trucks idling 24/7. If they have to absorb some of the costs of idling they will keep a closer eye on their idling. I don't think most companies want their drivers to be uncomfortable, they just want them to be more conscious of what they are doing. It costs about a gallon per hour to idle a truck. There are many times when it isn't necessary to idle. For some it doesn't seem to matter. They idle no matter what. I don't idle unless I need to do so to be comfortable. I don't expect my drivers to be uncomfortable but do expect them to use common sense. I think that is the way most carriers look at it. There is usually no reason to idle a truck more than 30% unless you are laid over. Even then you are probably not going to be in the truck 24 hours a day.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:51 AM

Even then you are probably not going to be in the truck 24 hours a day.

You be surprized. There are doofuzes that stay in truck for 3 days and idle the whole time. Company that haz limit on idle time muzt have apu or pay for hotel or idleaire for anything extra above 30%. We don't have thiz nonsense in hungary.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

We don't have thiz nonsense in hungary.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Carriers are trying to save where they can. Unfortunately, some drivers will keep their trucks idling 24/7. If they have to absorb some of the costs of idling they will keep a closer eye on their idling. I don't think most companies want their drivers to be uncomfortable, they just want them to be more conscious of what they are doing. It costs about a gallon per hour to idle a truck. There are many times when it isn't necessary to idle. For some it doesn't seem to matter. They idle no matter what. I don't idle unless I need to do so to be comfortable. I don't expect my drivers to be uncomfortable but do expect them to use common sense. I think that is the way most carriers look at it. There is usually no reason to idle a truck more than 30% unless you are laid over. Even then you are probably not going to be in the truck 24 hours a day.

well when I was on the road and stuck sitting I felt anything above 75 in the daytime sun warrated idle time while in the truck as even with windows open it gets hot in the daytime sun...and since I'm not a fan of hanging out in truck stop lounges I spet nearly 24rs in cab and the company did not pay for idleaire or hotel I ran the truck ...I sat many times last summer for 2 days straight and 3-4 a week and many times lot temps were 105-115 daytime and around 90 early morning B4 sunrise ...I idled nonstop...while sitting... I got wrote up and asked to sign a charge back plan ...HE!! NO...shortly after logs audited my last 6 months logs by comparing QC TO paper hell half the time I had a dead QC that didn't even work ,but this was all they had on me and started nit picking ,so I resigned ...well I was going to anyway ,but the BS just made it easy with no guilt ...

now who are you kidding and what math do you use... running 2500mi at 50 mph only gives 24.75 hrs idle time a week b4 going over 30% ...that's only about 3.5 hrs a day...now at 3000 mi you get about 4hrs a day but only if you don't average better than 50 ,which I always did...That BS doesn't even cover an 8hr sleeper portion of a 10hr break ...I know basic math and 30% at 2500-3000 mi doesn't cover jack for atleast haf the year .THNX