User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have rarely idled over 30%. When temperatures are excessively cold or hot then idle times will go up, but if I can do it others can as well. I was usually comfortable. You don't need to idle or run the engine 24 hours a day. During summer months you could get a windshield reflector to keep the cab and sleeper cooler. I didn't have one when I was closely checking my idle time. Just turning the truck off while you run in to pay for your fuel or eat can save quite a bit in idle time and fuel. It might surprise you to see how much you can save with only a few minor behavior modifications without sacrificing comfort. In any case, the current economic times will require some adjustments from both management and drivers. Many companies are teetering on the edge right now. Unless they cut expenses they will not make it. Fuel is the most expensive part of running a truck these days. Paying a driver is the other major expense. A good driver will try to save his company as he can. He will also try to find ways in which to do his job more efficiently. When a driver saves his company money he is actually doing his part to protect his job. If a driver is only concerned about himself then he is driving the nails in the coffin for himself and his company. When times are difficult, it is a team effort to stay afloat and survive.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

The industry is barreling towards major change.

Efficient operations, rather than lifestyle trucking is becoming the only way to survive in today's economy. The carriers that are resisting the installation of APUs realize this, and are hard pressed to install them as the bean counters have made it clear to the management types that the days of trucking as we know it are coming to an end. The writing is clearly on the wall. If APUs were a cure all, they would already be on every truck.

Feeder networks, while certainly not a cure all, curtail much of the waste and expense incurred when operating a vehicle as living/waiting quarters.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things turn out.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have rarely idled over 30%. When temperatures are excessively cold or hot then idle times will go up, but if I can do it others can as well. I was usually comfortable. You don't need to idle or run the engine 24 hours a day. During summer months you could get a windshield reflector to keep the cab and sleeper cooler. I didn't have one when I was closely checking my idle time. Just turning the truck off while you run in to pay for your fuel or eat can save quite a bit in idle time and fuel. It might surprise you to see how much you can save with only a few minor behavior modifications without sacrificing comfort. In any case, the current economic times will require some adjustments from both management and drivers. Many companies are teetering on the edge right now. Unless they cut expenses they will not make it. Fuel is the most expensive part of running a truck these days. Paying a driver is the other major expense. A good driver will try to save his company as he can. He will also try to find ways in which to do his job more efficiently. When a driver saves his company money he is actually doing his part to protect his job. If a driver is only concerned about himself then he is driving the nails in the coffin for himself and his company. When times are difficult, it is a team effort to stay afloat and survive.

Well in 90-110 degree weather a cleverly placed piece of refletive foil really does nothing major
and at night in the 90 deree weather they do nothing...now turning off the truck when not in it accounted for very little idle time in my case ...Now I myself do not much care if a person like yourself is willing to "sacrafice" his basic level of comfort that's your choice ,but DO NOT look at it like it's every other drivers place to subject themselves to the same ...Infact I think a driver sitting in a 90 degree cab with a foil sunglass in his window a bit slow and low expectation in nature ,because while he/she sits like that the other part of the "TEAM" is sitting in an office temp controlled between 68-72 degrees ...And it's this other part of the "TEAM" that seems to dictate what is acceptably tolerble on my end from their ac'd / heated office...You want drivers to feel it's a team effort then remove the ac/heat from the offices ...after all it costs alot of cash to run those hvac units 24/7 365 infact at GTS they ran 24/7 with only 3 people in the buildig from 1700-0700 and this is typical of all large companiies I guess some members of the team are more important ...TEAM EFFORT MY A$$ !

Last edited by BIG JEEP on 44's; 10-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I stay comfortable and expect my drivers to do the same. A solar reflector in the windshield can make a huge difference in the heat factor in a truck. If you are going to be in a truck stop or at least out of the truck you could leave the reflector in the truck and it will keep the temperature much cooler. If it is 90 degrees then it will probably still be necessary to idle to be comfortable, but there are many who will idle whether the temperature is 50 or 90. Since they don't have to worry about paying for the fuel they don't worry about it. Some of this is common sense. There have been times when I have idled more than 30%, such as when I have been in freezing temperatures or extreme heat for days on end, but for the month I usually manage to keep my idle at or below 30%.

As far as comparing office workers to truck drivers, it is a different profession. No one is suggesting that you never idle, just use common sense. It is cheaper to keep the temperature in a building at a somewhat constant level than it is to constantly be changing the temperature. I would say if present trends continue some will start to raise the thermostat in summer and lower it in summer to save money. It hasn't been that many years ago since trucks and most buildings didn't have air conditioning. :eek:
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
The industry is barreling towards major change.

Efficient operations, rather than lifestyle trucking is becoming the only way to survive in today's economy. The carriers that are resisting the installation of APUs realize this, and are hard pressed to install them as the bean counters have made it clear to the management types that the days of trucking as we know it are coming to an end. The writing is clearly on the wall. If APUs were a cure all, they would already be on every truck.

The problem with APU's is that they may not be acceptable to all states. California pushed for APU's and then decided to not allow all of them without modifications. Many carriers are waiting to see what will happen before they start spending money on something that may not be permissible to use in all states.

This entire country is about to undergo a major change, not just trucking. You are correct about companies operating efficiently. Difficult economic times will require more attention to the bottom line. I would not be surprised if some started cutting pay rates. If you think it can't happen, then you should do some research about the last Great Depression. My grandparents worked for as little as $0.50/day. That is right, per day. :eek:
Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I stay comfortable and expect my drivers to do the same. A solar reflector in the windshield can make a huge difference in the heat factor in a truck. If you are going to be in a truck stop or at least out of the truck you could leave the reflector in the truck and it will keep the temperature much cooler. If it is 90 degrees then it will probably still be necessary to idle to be comfortable, but there are many who will idle whether the temperature is 50 or 90. Since they don't have to worry about paying for the fuel they don't worry about it. Some of this is common sense. There have been times when I have idled more than 30%, such as when I have been in freezing temperatures or extreme heat for days on end, but for the month I usually manage to keep my idle at or below 30%.

As far as comparing office workers to truck drivers, it is a different profession. No one is suggesting that you never idle, just use common sense. It is cheaper to keep the temperature in a building at a somewhat constant level than it is to constantly be changing the temperature. I would say if present trends continue some will start to raise the thermostat in summer and lower it winter to save money. It hasn't been that many years ago since trucks and most buildings didn't have air conditioning. :eek:
Fixed it for you, Gman.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon