User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anyone leased with Barr-Nunn??

Just wondering... I have looked it over and they seem to be the best fit for me and the new truck. I can get home most weekends and such. I would like to get someone a refferal if I can, but will be calling them tomorrow.... so make it quick. i need a name and truck number!!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I looked at Barr Nunn last fall when the carrier I was with for 9 years sold out. I followed a lot of posts here and elsewhere regarding them and decided against linking up with them.

I went with Fremont Contract Carriers, out of Fremont, NE instead. Got on with them the first of the year. They are a real solid outfit that has a Midwest Region setup, along with 48 state, van and flat, that would work real well with you living in NW Indiana. I live in Central Iowa, and I primarily run back and forth from the Chicago area and NW Indiana to Nebraska. I am on target to putting away close to 150K miles this year with them and that is with being by the house a number of times during the week and off on the weekends. No sit time with this outfit. They are production oriented and want that truck turning wheels during the week and then getting you home on the weekends. Even the 48 state guys are getting home most weekends. The company policy is that before any "travel agent" can go home at night, they have to have 80% of their assigned trucks pre booked for freight the following day.

They are a smaller 300 truck outfit that is real family oriented and staffed with a fantastic group of people. The equipment is pretty decent and very well maintained. I was real apprehensive about having to make a move to another carrier, but in retrospect, wonder why I didn't make the move sooner. After 25 years at this game, FCC is just about the best carrier I have ever been with. The customer base is a good, friendly one and broad based so that there is always freight to move. I recently put a tractor on with them, and the level of support I got in doing so was nothing short of fantastic.

They are a real stickler for only taking on excellent drivers. They have a low turnover rate so they can afford to be a little pickier than the big boys. They don't need to advertise in the glossy truck magazines. They primarily get their drivers and O/O's by "word of mouth" and referals. And for O/O's who read this... your truck better be in top quality shape or they will turn it away. They have an inspection program for new hire trucks that will make your ancestors cry for mercy. I have a 2006 International 9400 on with them now, and I can't even imagine working anywhere else.

The pay for company drivers is up to .36 per mile with a .04 bonus program that is easy to achieve. I had no problem getting the extra .04 each quarter without a sweat. The medical insurance is a Blue Cross / Blue Shield plan and with excellent pricing. Maybe you can get a better offer of pay rate per mile, but you will never get the job satisfaction or the consistent high miles. Excellent, no touch freight with a high amount of preload drop and hook runs. Fantastic people to work with. A maintenance shop that will call you "sir" when you pull in for lube or full service. They even paid for a motel with jacuzzi for both my wife and I, even though she is not a driver, for the 3 day orientation and provided all meals during that time.

Not saying that Barr Nunn is a bad carrier, but you can do better if you "beat the weeds" and search for the primo carriers. They are out there.

Last edited by Copperhead; 10-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM

am on target to putting away close to 150K miles this year with them and that is with being by the house a number of times during the week and off on the weekends.

You havz to drive 150k miles a year to make money at Fartz Contact Carriers? What a Jokz. Another cheap carrier with slow truck.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

No... I don't have to drive 150K miles a year with them... I chose to so to make a real nice net. My gross will be WELL over $215K. My net will be real respectable as well. At least I can turn those miles and be home regularly, be on the weekly bowling league, and be to family functions when I want.

Slow truck? I have no idea what my truck will run. I have had it to 80 and still had power. I have no desire to run like a scared rabbit. Not when I can get well over 7 mpg now which makes, with my fuel surcharge, my cost for fuel nearly ZERO.

It aint about running fast and getting to that next load before anyone else.... it's all about what you net at the end of the day. For all those "smokey and the bandit" wannabes out there, You will have to run over 30K miles more a year just to meet my net. That's ok.... I'll be at home on my farm with my truck sitting next to the barn, on my ATV enjoying the countryside. while you are shoving your money out the stack and burning up those tires.....

Oh well....
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

That's about $1.43/mi for those who need the ath (215K on 150K mi)
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Board Member

ummm... you forgot the "well over" before the $215K.....

Some of the runs have included little extras that have helped out on the gross. From my calculations on this past year..... the revenue divided by the paid miles is a little higher
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
ummm... you forgot the "well over" before the $215K.....

Some of the runs have included little extras that have helped out on the gross. From my calculations on this past year..... the revenue divided by the paid miles is a little higher

My guess CH is after fuel your grossing somewhere in the neighborhood of 150k... If your truck payment is reasonable or maybe none at all, their is certainly enough to put away for expenses, have a nice paycheck and profit too ! Good For You !!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
That's about $1.43/mi for those who need the ath (215K on 150K mi)

That iz cheap. I make more than 2.00 dollarz a mile. I like ripping off borkerz,yes?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Digit Bob View Post
That iz cheap. I make more than 2.00 dollarz a mile. I like ripping off borkerz,yes?

True... I am not getting 2$ a mile, so most would think that I am pulling freight cheap, but....

I don't have to search out freight. Got someone doing that for me.

I NEVER sit for more than an hour before I am moving to get the next load.

I don't have to worry or fool with anything other than getting the job done. You might say that I am giving up some of the potential gross earnings that someone else might get so that I can have all the "back office" stuff done for me including negotiating fuel discounts (usually 12-15 cents off of pump price), negotiating excellent fuel surcharges from the customers (based on 5.5 mpg and $1.28 base fuel price), group discounts on truck and occupational accident insurance, etc.

The real value is not what you gross..... it's what you NET that counts. I will not disclose what I net, but suffice to say it allows me to have a well maintained 2006 truck, 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel, almost paid for, with a lot of modifications, a 40 acre hobby farm, a 2006 New Holland ag tractor I paid cash for, a heated shop to work on truck and equipment, a 20/80 major health/vision/dental PPO plan, and the list goes on. And the wife doesn't have to work for us to have these things or to get in on a company health insurance plan. She just does a little home based business stuff on the side. And I get to be home on the weekends and by the house numerous times a week.

And I can do all this without being in so much debt that I can't see day light. All the bills are paid and the future looks bright (even with the current economic mess) that I just about have to wear shades. Freight hasn't slowed a bit for me. This month I will EASILY put in close to 14K miles. When I am out, I run high productive freight with a reasonable cost of operation and excellent net. No sitting around or time to play with Mary Jo Rottencrotch at the truck stop. I drive, eat, sleep, drive then I go home to enjoy the weekends with wife and friends, be a part of a local bowling league, and maybe a little maintenance on the truck.

Don't believe me.... call anyone of my neighbors and they will confirm my particular situation. You don't have be someone special in with a unique carrier hauling specialized freight to get this as well. You just have to have a little business savvy and the diligence to manage it well, including using sound business sense in selecting the carrier you will do business with. You can't select a carrier like you select a car. You have to do a LOT of research on any carrier you decide to do business with to minimize risk and maximize rewards. Nothing is fool proof, but you don't have to feel like you are at a playing a slot machine when you are choosing a carrier. And, to be sure, you don't have to settle for the "One Size Fits All" carriers out there. And I believe you know what I mean.