User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am over 21k and closer to 22k if full of fuel,I can haul up to 45k but anything over that and I start getting pretty heavy on the steers and drives.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I am over 21k and closer to 22k if full of fuel,I can haul up to 45k but anything over that and I start getting pretty heavy on the steers and drives.
Putting 2 AND 2 together, if you are sometime 3k over on your drives, that means you sometimes pull 48k loads, is that right? How does that work, they put on you whatever they want and you pull it?

The reason I ask, I'm wondering how common it is for tanker O/O's to kindly say go 'f' yourself when they want you to pull, 46k, 47k, 48k... Not that it matters too much, I'm just kind of curious whether or not I still have a job. :-)
Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
Putting 2 AND 2 together, if you are sometime 3k over on your drives, that means you sometimes pull 48k loads, is that right?
no with most loads over 44,800 I am over on my drives because I have a low fifth wheel.It has gotten better since I changed to tall rubber but I still could use 3-4" on my fifth wheel.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
no with most loads over 44,800 I am over on my drives because I have a low fifth wheel.It has gotten better since I changed to tall rubber but I still could use 3-4" on my fifth wheel.
Quote:
Mike3fan: I'm 37-38k on my drives often
That leaves the impression that the tall rubber took 3-4k off your drives, is that what you mean?

Mike, you switched to tall rubber instead of getting a raiser!?!? You aren't listening to Kevin Rutherford, are you? :-) (I'm not trying to be a menace, it just makes perfect since to me that there is a lot of profit potential in fuel savings.)
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That leaves the impression that the tall rubber took 3-4k off your drives, is that what you mean?

Mike, you switched to tall rubber instead of getting a raiser!?!? You aren't listening to Kevin Rutherford, are you? :-) (I'm not trying to be a menace, it just makes perfect since to me that there is a lot of profit potential in fuel savings.)
I drive mostly in the northeast in the winter because some won't :-p so no thanks to the low traction high mileage tires.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It took off a good portion of it,to be honest I never weigh myself anymore,I have a air suspension gauge so I pretty much know when I am over on my drives and then I will weigh.But to be honest I worry about gross more than anything,if I am over gross then I make a call and make sure someone other than me makes the decision to run it heavy.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I still want to know what happens when you get an overweight ticket. Nothing on your MVR? No court appearance? Some money? How much money?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I still want to know what happens when you get an overweight ticket. Nothing on your MVR? No court appearance? Some money? How much money?
I don't think it's considered a moving violation so I don't think it would go on your MVR,but (knocks on wood) I haven't got one so I don't know for sure,but I make sure if I pull overweight that someone in the company gives me the go ahead so that I won't be paying the fine,I have heard of some fines from $6 to several thousand....
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'll go dig out that scale ticket in a bit. What exactly happens when you get popped?

In TN I send them a check of $37 for 850 over on the drivers. For MD I send them a check for $32.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Putting 2 AND 2 together, if you are sometime 3k over on your drives, that means you sometimes pull 48k loads, is that right? How does that work, they put on you whatever they want and you pull it?

The reason I ask, I'm wondering how common it is for tanker O/O's to kindly say go 'f' yourself when they want you to pull, 46k, 47k, 48k... Not that it matters too much, I'm just kind of curious whether or not I still have a job. :-)
Carl...when I get to the load rack, I tell the loader how much to put on me. For a rear unloader i tell them 45K is ok, but 44,500 is better.

For a center unloader(or side) I tell them 44,000. I always tell them about how much I will be over weight on my drivers if they put more on. I have only had one company refuse to cut the weight. I left the plant and scaled at a Pilot, went back with the scale ticket and they took off the excess...which I had told them to cut before loading me. They then had to change my delivery time...because they refused to listen to me.

I have not received an Over-weight ticket since last november because I do this now. I had 5 last year.