User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting into the biz question.

I know I'll get blasted by some of you for this question.. :sad:

But, simply put, are there any companies out there that will allow an owner operator WITHOUT any recent verifiable experience to contract with them?

I'm a former driver, but, it's been many years. does Burlington Motor Carriers ring a bell with anyone? Been that long. So, while I'm not experienced in the way many of you would like to go into this biz, I'm no complete rookie either. yea, I know, a lot has changed. I'm even willing to go back to school to "polish up", but, I've got a truck at my disposal (family member who can't drive anymore) It's paid for and he wants very little in compensation.

I'm just researching my options here....so don't hang me on the gallows just yet. I've been lurking here long enough to know far too well how many of you are going to react to this kind of question. :lol:

Thank you in advance to those who seriously answer my question.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Thats a long time. You have dust on top of dust. LOL I would have to say no to your question. But I am sure that you will get alot more other posters on here that will be nicer. :lol: BOL
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Not a chance, most want at least 2 years recent experience..The only way would be to lease to an owner operator with his own authority
Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Insurance will be your biggest hurdle.
That depends. I'm not familar with leasing onto a company and what they'll require for insurance, but if he was to get his own authority the insurance companies go by the length of time you've held a cdl.

For example, I haven't driven since late 1999 but I've held a cdl since 93, I had no problem securing insurance, matter of fact I've been working on quotes all week and put a down payment on a policy today.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on my experience with the process because it was interesting how broad a range of prices I got. I might.....after Kudlow. 8)
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Getting into the biz question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrt1989
does Burlington Motor Carriers ring a bell with anyone?
LOL I remember them. In fact, I saw one of their old trailers about 2 weeks ago. It looked as crappy as the company it originally came from. :lol:
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrt1989
does Burlington Motor Carriers ring a bell with anyone?
LOL I remember them. In fact, I saw one of their old trailers about 2 weeks ago. It looked as crappy as the company it originally came from. :lol:
Oh believe me, I'm not at all suprised THEY went belly up. Drove for 'em for a few years, then I took a job running for an O/O guy I knew who needed a driver for awhile.

I was never completely unhappy there, but, I can certainly remember some of those "shaking the head in bewilderment" times with them. Honestly, the company had it's problems, as all do apparently, it's their equipment that scared me at times. The first unit they assigned me to had a blown head gasket from the get-go. The 2nd one they "tried" to pin me to had a bent passenger side door from where some guy had slapped his passenger mirror on a toll booth in NYC and bent it all up.. I refused that truck, didn't make any friends that day. They then proceeded to keep me sitting around the terminal for two days waiting on another truck.

I could go on and on here. :roll: :lol: But, they served their purpose for me a the time.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Rookie

I appreciate the answers so far guys....I'm honestly looking to see what, if any, options I have here. I dropped out of the business about 12 years ago to go into business with a buddy. We've done well, but, I'm bored and have sort of had that "itch" since I left. Now, I've come into this opportunity to own a truck for a heck of a deal and just curious what, again, if anything, I can do with it.

Thanks again,
Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most any carrier will want to see recent driving experience. The least I have heard is 6 months. Most insurance companies want to see 2 years driving experience within the last 3 years. The insurance companies go by how long you have held a CDL, but carriers want to see your actual experience. If you have a clean MVR, you might find a smaller carrier who will work with you, as long as he can get you by his insurance company. I know that I sometimes need to forward a copy of any driver's application so that they can see their driving experience before they will cover them. You may want to look at getting your own authority. It might be easier for you to get started. You should check with different insurance companies before making a decision, rates can vary widely.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You should check with different insurance companies before making a decision, rates can vary widely.
You ain't kidding either, my rates were as follows:

Progressive........12000.00
Canal.................9000.00
Great American...7600.00
Northland............8104.00
Northland.............6954.00

Northland is twice because we restructured the policy to fit my operation. Northland has a program for operations that are mostly under 500 mile radius but not confined to under 500 miles. It's based on a 80/20 percentage, eighty being within the 500 miles.