User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

papa ya there anal abought logs and running legal.but as i said they will never give you a load that u cant pull in your 11 hrs most are 500 to 550 miles which is no problem to do legal.i have never been deducted anything for my plates maby they have changed the way there doing it from when i hired in.there inspections are relly not tuff to pass if your truck is road worthy it will pas no problem.on average i will say 1.80 per mile total this is with fuel some loads pay over 2.00$ with fuel and some pay 1.40$with fuel but im at abought 1.80 average.they also used to have a sign on bonus i dont know if they still do or not.
draw backs=rail yards pain in the azzz sometimes but u get to use the express gates.most loads are heavy as well.another draw back would be getting used to running like they do when i was over the road it was more laid back here you will get your miles and u will run 5 days a week avg 2500 miles a week every week ive had a couple weeks at 2300 but just a couple.
personally to me it is perfect i get home every day make as much money as i did otr and old dominion is a huge company that is very stable.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey why is log hauling slowing down out there?? my fam over here in va is hauling logs and chips all through the night... are u just pulling logs to woodyards and lumber mills?? or are you going to paper mills also?? it's odd to hear that...

Also i had a plan 2 to 3 years down the road if everything worked out to buy a truck and to pull containers for old dominion out of their tidewater terminals in virginia as i would like to move down to the hampton roads area one day.. but is the pay really that bad?? it sounds like its terrible?? i do see some pretty bad equipment, and the usual 99-03 century class or columbia yanking them around down there but is they pay really that bad???
Old 09-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Board Regular

As for the log hauling, I hauled off the wood yard, and a huge mill contracted with our wood yard to store all the hardwood 12,000 ton starting August of 08, and paying them the same price as they would to haul it 65 miles to their mill.

They did this believing it is going to be a wet winter and will use this stored wood to hedge against running low. So everyone who lives close to our wood yard is hauling the hardwood in here like crazy, (not cutting anything else right now) and we cannot touch it until at the earliest November 1st (at which time after 3 months the weight will be light) and getting a good paying load may not be easy.

So this left me and another driver trying to find other hauls, which has not been easy, but it is looking better.

As for Old Dominion, I talked with them in depth on their Container Hauling and if I was closer to Huntsville AL, I would for sure be looking at them much closer.

1 Job they have right now is (They pay % of load and fsc) 146 miles round trip. It pays to the driver $226.80, plus fsc which is done off the whole amount not just the driver part and it comes to $116.50.

Total is $343.35 for a 146 mile round trip, which is $2.35 per mile. They do your permits, file your IFTA reports FREE. Pay Detention Time: after 2 hours, $65.00 per hour. Overweight pays 20% more to the driver.

It really is a great deal for someone that lives closer to the terminal, or if they had something going my way, which they don't. They may in the future as they are just now starting the Huntsville terminal up.

You must get your tractor inspected every 90 days, they do have a escrow program 50 per week until it reaches 2000. Lease on Bonus 500.00 you get half at 6 weeks and the other have in 90 days, but must pay it back if you leave before 6 months. Must have Haz-Mat.

I have the number for anyone who may want to call about this, jut let me know.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Rookie

Is it the same number to call that is on the ODFL website. Or is this a different O/O division? Do they have one division for their containers and one for their LTL freight? Had some tell me last week that it was getting harder to find companies to move intermodal in the Atlanta market. Never really gave much thought to the container business. Old Dominion does seem to be doing well in a down market. They are branching out a specializing, now with their warehousing business.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Board Regular

check this OD Site out and it has several numbers to it.

http://www.odfl.com/locator/USSouthEast.jsp