User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrontofu
charged u may be better off with your own authority i have mine as well and am better off leased to old dominion.inaverage 1.20 to 1.50 a mile most of the time plus my fuel surcharge..i know im hauling cheap dont need anyone ragging me abought it.it is a choice i made for me and my kids.i actually enjoy seeing them every day.and i do.ive only spent 2 nites in the truck science ive been with them.they are a great company.hiring within 75 miles of all their rail terminals.
atlanta huntsville,north georgia,charolette.harrisburg.and all the ports on the east coast.
im not trying to recruit anyone just posting info to help out someone that asked and it is very close for him.
and charged my truck is paid off od provides my plates and permits at no cost to me my insurance is less than 100$ a week no trailer rent.my biggest expense is maintance and fuel.which by the way i filled up at od,s terminal in white pine tn for 3.65 a gallon yesterday.
my point is my operating cost is apparently much lower than your daddies.i may not have a big new shiny large car to strut around in but my little volvo gets the job done all the same.
That's cool if you choose to make less money and be home each night.
Anyone who does not have a truck or trailer payment is going to have a lower operating cost than someone who does. Equipment does have to be fixed or replaced some time.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Rookie

see that is where you are wrong i dont make less money probably more i bet at least the same. with my cost what they are.and ofcourse i have been in the buisness long enougfh to know trucks have to be fixed and have planned accordingly.it will however never be replaced when this one is done with my trucking career will offically come to an end.and i dont have to book loads i dont have to mess with brokers i dont have to call agents 39 times a day.it is ok to be leased to a carrier and not run your authority.and you can still be very profitable.and i get to watch my boys at their football games and go to my girls birthday party go fishin take a week off if i want to.truckin has been good to me and now im relly gettin to enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Board Regular

infrontofu, do you pull out of the Huntsville Area?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Rookie

they do pull out of there and i do drop up there quite a bit.i am based out of whitepine tn i do mostly atlanta and back huntsville and back charlotte and back and so on.i dont mess with any ports and hardly ever get in the rail yards their local drivers do that.i usually pick up on there yard and drop on a diffrent yard or pick up deliver to customer [some live unloads but usually pretty quick]and then back to the yard and home.the huntsville terminal is pretty large.based out of there you would probably deliver into say birmingham just for example or anywhere within 250 miles of huntsville.ive only had 1 week less than 2300 miles and that was the first week.monday of that week.sort of did an orientation sat down with terminal manager he went over a few things with me and i was on my way.still got 1900 that week.i start my day around 1 or 2 am most of the time[u chose when u want to leave or start your day]and am usually sitting at home at 1 or 2 that evening.unless u get an overnite load there are some than u might be out a nite every now and then.they try to rotate it so u never have to do it very often.if you are out overnite you park at their terminal they have 208 service centers and they foot the bill for the room.i dont have a doubles end and have never been asked to get it.need any more info just ask.and also delta express runs out of huntsville,they relly only do huntsville to nashville or huntsville to memphis.i hear there decent also.i dont want you to use me as a referal although they do pay a bonus but im just trying to help it is a decent gig for someone wanting to be home.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Board Regular

Do They pay % and is fsc included in this?

Do they offer a Fuel Card, and or can you fuel up at their terminal?

Do you pay someone to haul fron their yard into the dock for you?

How long have you been with them?

Is it hard to get on with them?

Are they a good company to work with?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Rookie

they do pay% plus fuel surcharge
they will give u a t check fuel card like comdata can fuel anywhere and can fuel at there terminals where it is usually 10 to 20 cent a gallon cheaper.
ive never paid to have anything hauled anywhere with them.ie they wont give u a load that u cant do in your 11 hours unless it is an overnite load.
its not hard to get on with them takes a week or so to get through the red tape.ie drug test and u do have to do a road test in one of their day cab columbias straight 10 speed.
they had my tag and insurance for me before i ever left the house.
been there not long 3 months so far
they are great so far dont know the terminal manager in huntsville thou.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Board Regular

When I was speaking to them, they informed me that they were very safety minded and did not push their drivers to do hot running and cook the books. That was refreshing.

He told me that the logs would be really watched and that every 90 days your truck had to pass a inspection in case of accident, it could not be pinned back to OD being lax on safety.

I asked him about going from port to port, and he told me that linehaul (Company Drivers) did most all of this.

About the paying to have something hauled in: what I was talking about was in some ports he said that the oo would pay a fee to have a company driver pick up the load at the terminal and take it in and put it on the ship and sometimes the co driver had to wait awhile for this.

He said that the Huntsville port would not be doing this as it was operating on railyard.

What do you avg per mile including the % and fsc added together?

He told me that my permits were free, but the base plate would cost me so much (I forgot the amount) per month. I asked him is I could keep my base plate and he said yes, it was up to me.

What are some of the drawbacks to working doing this and working for OD?

Any information you can add to what you already have would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks Much

Papa Rick
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrontofu
see that is where you are wrong i dont make less money probably more i bet at least the same. with my cost what they are.and ofcourse i have been in the buisness long enougfh to know trucks have to be fixed and have planned accordingly.it will however never be replaced when this one is done with my trucking career will offically come to an end.and i dont have to book loads i dont have to mess with brokers i dont have to call agents 39 times a day.it is ok to be leased to a carrier and not run your authority.and you can still be very profitable.and i get to watch my boys at their football games and go to my girls birthday party go fishin take a week off if i want to.truckin has been good to me and now im relly gettin to enjoy it.
Do you have any information about OD's operations in the western PA/ eastern OH region ( mainly Pittsburgh and area ) ? Do they have a similar setup there for owner ops ?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick
When I was speaking to them, they informed me that they were very safety minded and did not push their drivers to do hot running and cook the books. That was refreshing.

He told me that the logs would be really watched and that every 90 days your truck had to pass a inspection in case of accident, it could not be pinned back to OD being lax on safety.

I asked him about going from port to port, and he told me that linehaul (Company Drivers) did most all of this.

About the paying to have something hauled in: what I was talking about was in some ports he said that the oo would pay a fee to have a company driver pick up the load at the terminal and take it in and put it on the ship and sometimes the co driver had to wait awhile for this.

He said that the Huntsville port would not be doing this as it was operating on railyard.

What do you avg per mile including the % and fsc added together?

He told me that my permits were free, but the base plate would cost me so much (I forgot the amount) per month. I asked him is I could keep my base plate and he said yes, it was up to me.

What are some of the drawbacks to working doing this and working for OD?

Any information you can add to what you already have would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks Much

Papa Rick

Sounds like a good deal so far Rick. Are you going to drive in an chat face to face??
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Rookie

greay misht i know they pull some out of harrisburg pa.im not sure abougt oh thou.they have an add on 1099trucker and u can fill an online app out there as well.