User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What does your trucking software do for you?

I've got to get organized. Your trucking financial software does what?

Adds your receipts by type, gives you monthly totals?

Keeps track of individual loads so you can calculate things like average length of haul?

Is everything on a monthly basis- expenses, fuel usage, number of miles...? What time frames do you use to track mpg?

I learned to 'program' Lotus maybe 15 years ago but haven't since used it. What does your trucking software do for you? What brand do you use? Is spreadsheet software you program yourself enough or is there a better way?

Really, this is the last major area of being an O/O where I'm still pretty clueless (maintenance is a real close second, but at least I know what a three-axle alignment is now...thinking about charge air cooler...thinking about a bypass...). I've got stacks of paperwork and I need to get help with 2007 taxes soon. Good advice related to software will be very helpful. It's time to get a handle on this. TIA
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

www.foglinesoftware.com watch video of truckin pro software.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
www.foglinesoftware.com watch video of truckin pro software.
Thanks, Mike. I'll probably watch that when I get to a hotspot. I'm way up there on my Broadband usage and I'm trying to keep it down so they don't force me into a 5 gig plan.

I see there is a lot there I don't care about- entering my VIN, credit card no.s, fuel taxes, customer info...

I suspect the functions I actually need are pretty minimal. I need to get on top of my receipts and my fuel usage, probably not too much more than that.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I looked at a number of different software packages before I bought my first. I use Trucknpro and Easy Trucking. You only need one, but I have been using them for a while now. I am currently trying Truckers Helper. It depends on what you want from your software as to which one I would recommend. If you are leased to a carrier and they do your fuel taxes, Trucknpro would be a good one. I like the menu's and ease of use it offers. If I could do my IFTA I would probably keep using it. I may anyway. It will keep track of your IFTA miles, but won't do the actual calculations and report that you can send to the state. He keeps making improvements, so I am sure it is only a matter of time. It will keep track of maintenance expenses, etc., Easy Trucking is a fairly comprehensive program, but I don't care for the way we have to put information into the program. It will do your fuel tax calculations but you will need to key in the tax rates. I am just checking out Truckers Helper, but it seems to do about everything including payroll. For my operation, it may be the best choice, but I have more than one truck. I also run my own authority. Truckers Helper does have different packages, depending on your operation. I believe all three packages were developed by truckers. The guy who owns Trucknpro still drives. Other than a few things, I prefer the Trucknpro to most of the others that I have checked out. A good friend of mine uses another package and likes it.

Most trucking software packages will automatically do your fuel calculations as you input the data. Most will track your fuel and expenses. You can see a demo or try all of these programs. There are others on the market. These are three that I am most familiar. You need to check out the trials or demo's and see which one works best for you.

If you prefer, you can always set up a spreadsheet to keep everything together for you. I have some things in a spreadsheet. You can get all the information you need with a spreadsheet. It may be faster to get what you want from software specifically geared to this industry. The main thing you need to do is get organized and stay that way. No matter what software you elect to use, it does you no good unless you use it. The best software is the simplest to use. If you designate a specific time to get everything into the computer it would help. Most of us detest paperwork, but it is part of this business. If you don't want to deal with it you can always hire an accountant or bookkeeper. Just put all of your receipts together in an envelope and send it to whomever you hire to do your books.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I looked at a number of different software packages before I bought my first. I use Trucknpro and Easy Trucking. You only need one, but I have been using them for a while now. I am currently trying Truckers Helper. It depends on what you want from your software as to which one I would recommend. If you are leased to a carrier and they do your fuel taxes, Trucknpro would be a good one. I like the menu's and ease of use it offers. If I could do my IFTA I would probably keep using it. I may anyway. It will keep track of your IFTA miles, but won't do the actual calculations and report that you can send to the state. He keeps making improvements, so I am sure it is only a matter of time. It will keep track of maintenance expenses, etc., Easy Trucking is a fairly comprehensive program, but I don't care for the way we have to put information into the program. It will do your fuel tax calculations but you will need to key in the tax rates. I am just checking out Truckers Helper, but it seems to do about everything including payroll. For my operation, it may be the best choice, but I have more than one truck. I also run my own authority. Truckers Helper does have different packages, depending on your operation. I believe all three packages were developed by truckers. The guy who owns Trucknpro still drives. Other than a few things, I prefer the Trucknpro to most of the others that I have checked out. A good friend of mine uses another package and likes it.

Most trucking software packages will automatically do your fuel calculations as you input the data. Most will track your fuel and expenses. You can see a demo or try all of these programs. There are others on the market. These are three that I am most familiar. You need to check out the trials or demo's and see which one works best for you.

If you prefer, you can always set up a spreadsheet to keep everything together for you. I have some things in a spreadsheet. You can get all the information you need with a spreadsheet. It may be faster to get what you want from software specifically geared to this industry. The main thing you need to do is get organized and stay that way. No matter what software you elect to use, it does you no good unless you use it. The best software is the simplest to use. If you designate a specific time to get everything into the computer it would help. Most of us detest paperwork, but it is part of this business. If you don't want to deal with it you can always hire an accountant or bookkeeper. Just put all of your receipts together in an envelope and send it to whomever you hire to do your books.
Hey Gman! It's been a long time! Between my politics board, my football board, and checking out Kevin Rutherford's board, I've been pretty busy for quite awhile. There still have to be some of the most knowledgeable, helpful O/O's on this board, however.

Another vote for Trucknpro, huh? Ok, I'll have a look-see. I was just thinking off the top of my head what functions I'd actually need, I was wondering if it can be done with Quickbooks, or something like that. My bank downloads information into certain programs, and Quickbooks is one. I don't even know if it's a spreadsheet, or what it is. Then, if I went with a spreadsheet, I'd have to spend all the time learning it again. Maybe I ought to just take the advice and let this guy spoonfeed it to me.

I stumbled upon a hotspot tonight! Problem is, I've chosen to download a Webster Tarpley video about 9/11! If I download too much, the Vista is sure to crash. I'm really a crummy businessman, but only because I don't have that much interest in it. If I could have some contol over the if, when and where, I'd be much better off as a company driver. I'm thinking about getting a motel this weekend to watch football :!: Maybe I can look at the demo then.

OOPS! My old laptop has my old login.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Hey Gman! It's been a long time! Between my politics board, my football board, and checking out Kevin Rutherford's board, I've been pretty busy for quite awhile. There still have to be some of the most knowledgeable, helpful O/O's on this board, however.

Another vote for Trucknpro, huh? Ok, I'll have a look-see. I was just thinking off the top of my head what functions I'd actually need, I was wondering if it can be done with Quickbooks, or something like that. My bank downloads information into certain programs, and Quickbooks is one. I don't even know if it's a spreadsheet, or what it is. Then, if I went with a spreadsheet, I'd have to spend all the time learning it again. Maybe I ought to just take the advice and let this guy spoonfeed it to me.

I stumbled upon a hotspot tonight! Problem is, I've chosen to download a Webster Tarpley video about 9/11! If I download too much, the Vista is sure to crash. I'm really a crummy businessman, but only because I don't have that much interest in it. If I could have some contol over the if, when and where, I'd be much better off as a company driver. I'm thinking about getting a motel this weekend to watch football :!: Maybe I can look at the demo then.

OOPS! My old laptop has my old login.

Hey, Cam. How have you been doing? I have been wondering about you lately. I hope things are going well. Cam, if that is all you really want to do the Quick Books program will probably do everything you want. Since you don't like the business side of things and your banking information will download into Quick Books, that is probably all you really need. If you want to check your fuel mileage or usage, a calculator or spreadsheet will suffice. Most banks will download into Excel or some other spreadsheet. Since most computers have already have a spreadsheet installed, it would save you money. If you want to buy a fairly inexpensive trucking software package, then the TrucknPro might be just the ticket. I believe you can get a 10% discount with TrucknPro or any of the other programs I listed if you are a member of OOIDA. But again, if all you want is to track your receipts then the Quick Books would work. They have a Premier Edition for Small Home Businesses. They have about 3 different versions. I think the Premier is the one for your business. I would just look at them and see which one you like. If you have an accountant you may ask them what they use and then you could just input your receipts and give them a CD.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Diesel, thanks Gman. I thought what I actually need to do ought to be relatively simple. Even so, I'll check out Trucknpro for ideas and cost and then maybe go with Quickbooks pro if it's significantly leaner and cheaper.

Doing ok, Gman. The jury is still out on the tankers. I'm running profitably but it seems like there ought to be more to compensate for $7500 in equipment, $200/mo in Occupational Accident insurance, increased fuel usage and wear and tear.

There is upside, though. The load I'm on now, I was literally in and out in an hour. $20 to load. It's much more predictable than vans, you basically know what's going to happen when you pickup and deliver, even if I'm using my own compressor for an air off or if I'm surfing the net in the bunk while the consignee takes care of everything (no 10 hour bed loads, no 'go wait over there with those other trucks until...') And, if I do wait, they $$$ without hesitation or squabbling. For once in my life, I like waiting. :wink:

All these percentage guys may be doing better. It sounds like QC used to pay pretty well until they started changing things. Now, they are taking the fsc from the % guys and moving them over to $1.25/mi. Some of those loads had huge fsc (they still have to deadhead at $4/gallon). So, the jury is still out, but I'm running profitably. I can also take this equipment elsewhere should I identify a company and a job that I prefer.

I haven't been doing too much with the church. I got kicked out of my last one a couple of years ago and haven't done too much recently. (What kind of guy gets kicked out of church? It's a long story should anyone want to hear it sometime.) I need to get back, though.

I spend a lot of time on message boards. I'm a two time Bush voter who has become entirely disillusioned and flabbergasted at the neocon cabal behind that administration. Just to throw this out, this is the video I'm looking at this morning.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...1&hl=en&emb=0#

I advise against it unless anyone really wants to dig past layers and layers of fluff to start to try to figure out why this country has been so contrary to itself for so long. So, how about you, Gman?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

My leg has healed so I am doing fine. I have had to take about 2 or 3 weeks off to take care of my wife. She had surgery and is now doing well. She wants to start traveling with me, again. Rates have been pretty good until about 2 weeks ago. Fuel drops $0.50/gallon and all of a sudden people want to drop the rate from $0.50-1.00/mile. :roll: I am primarily staying on the right side of the country. It isn't worth the effort to run West with the rates being so low.

I am glad things are going better for you. It is good to hear you are making a profit. It sounds like you enjoy pulling a tanker around. You may want to check with OOIDA on your occupational accident insurance. I think they charge about $140/month for members. That should be an interesting story about the church. Stay in touch.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Back on my other computer. And, that was $1.25 a gallon, not $1.25 per mile.

Wow, things had been rough there for you for awhile. I'm glad both you and your wife are more healthy now.

I may check out OOIDA's insurance. I'm around hazmat so much, I'll probably pay more than most van drivers, though.

Let's see, I got kicked out of a church many years ago because somebody decided to be a Nazi about orthodoxy. Specifically, the Trinity, you don't have to be able to explain the difference between 'being' and 'personhood', you just have to believe it! :lol:

The last two were 'houses of prayer'. It's kind of a new model for church life beyond just the Sunday morning meeting where you go and listen to the pastor preach (believe it or not, the Bible never prescribes any such model). Anyway, I haven't been blessed with the ability to 'see in the spirit' yet, I don't get 'words of knowledge', can't sing, don't preach... What I can do is 'feel' the presence of the Holy Spirit, particularly during musical worship. I can sense and feel the things that are both ushering in and also prohibiting 'the manifest presence'/'glory'... I'll dance, clap, pace, pray... whatever it takes to draw down or usher in the presence of God. Man, cocaine has nothing on the manifest presence of God! :lol: Anyway, some didn't understand it, didn't like it, and the next thing I know, I'm driving home with instructions not to return. :cry:

Ah well, you don't get the left foot of fellowship for doing nothing. It's for certain I was doing...something...