User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need tips on buying a steel flatbed trailer

I called a local (Ontario, Canada) dealer and he said they need $1,000 deposit to order a Transcraft all-steel trailer from the plant... You get it after 2-3 months and have to pay $900 for bringing it from IL, USA, unless you want to pick it up yourself... It's possible to get a $0 down financing, but a regular lease-to-own plan for 5 years would cost about $500-600 a months. Does this seem like a good deal or will I be better off getting a cheap used trailer?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Senior Board Member

What model trailer? Thats about $30,000 to $36,000 for the trailer when all is said or done. I bought my flatbed for $17,000 and it was one year old. If you have the cash to buy it I would still say to finance it and keep your money, you may need it. How many straps does it come with? Headboard? Boxes? If this is the only trailer you will pull I would suggest getting all the grease off your 5th wheel and going with one of those Teflon pads right off the bat.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM

There's a lot of good used flats that can be had for much less than new, truckpaper.com has ads that you can break down by year, price, amount, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Need tips on buying a steel flatbed trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
I called a local (Ontario, Canada) dealer and he said they need $1,000 deposit to order a Transcraft all-steel trailer from the plant... You get it after 2-3 months and have to pay $900 for bringing it from IL, USA, unless you want to pick it up yourself... It's possible to get a $0 down financing, but a regular lease-to-own plan for 5 years would cost about $500-600 a months. Does this seem like a good deal or will I be better off getting a cheap used trailer?
Just so you know, the steel hauling world refers to Transcraft as Trashcraft. I would go with Reitnouer Big Bubba if you can afford it. The durability and light weight is what you want to have in this business. Go with a spread on air - 3-10's or 4-10's, being in Canada it might be better to buy one there.
JMO
Tribal
Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Board Regular

Not to be an A-hole but if you can't afford 2 grand you can't afford a trailer. People are almost giving away trailers in Ont. right now. Thereare tons of deals out there. Meechigan is right if you are going to haul coils Transcraft's or almost any combo trailers are pretty much a throwaway trailer. If you're are doing lumber and lighter non concentrated loads almost any good combo will work. Unless your truck is way light most people can't haul enough weight with a steel/wood trailer in this day and age to be practical, especially a brand new one.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
What model trailer? Thats about $30,000 to $36,000 for the trailer when all is said or done. I bought my flatbed for $17,000 and it was one year old. If you have the cash to buy it I would still say to finance it and keep your money, you may need it. How many straps does it come with? Headboard? Boxes? If this is the only trailer you will pull I would suggest getting all the grease off your 5th wheel and going with one of those Teflon pads right off the bat.
Hey steve

I was wondering what kind of trailer do u pull? Is it steel or aluminum? spreed fixed? are lift axle etc...

thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
Hey steve

I was wondering what kind of trailer do u pull? Is it steel or aluminum? spreed fixed? are lift axle etc...

thanks in advance
Mine is a mix of delicate metals with a touch of wood to accent the curves in the fenders. The rails are petite with just a tad of chrome which brings out the highlights of the rear fender. Ready to work but can always lay flat when the moment is right.

Sorry, dozed off a bit there.

Mine is a 2005 Great Dane. It's steel with 4 wood nailers. It has a headboard, 60" box and a 24" box just for my chains. My truck is an 80" condo with a 400 pound APU and filled with crap. I can scale 80,000 with 1/4 tanks. It also has a spare tire carrier with a spare in it. I paid $17,000 for the trailer.

Oh yea, it's a 10' fixed spread axle so I can throw 40,000 pounds on the back without even thinking.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What model trailer?
I've talked to two dealers already. One sells Transcraft, the other - Doonan. The price is pretty similar for the basic setup with 12 winches/straps, no box (don't need the falling-off doors...), no headboard

Quote:
If this is the only trailer you will pull I would suggest getting all the grease off your 5th wheel and going with one of those Teflon pads right off the bat.
Yes, this will be the only trailer I"d be pulling. Please explain about the 5th wheel are you talking about replacing the 5th wheel or installing this pad on top? What would be the benefit?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Need tips on buying a steel flatbed trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal
I would go with Reitnouer Big Bubba if you can afford it. The durability and light weight is what you want to have in this business.l
I agree with the durability point, but all the light weight of the trailer would accomplish is get me into 47,000 lb loads of 8 ft DRY LUMBER that requires tarping and pays $900 for 2,000 miles.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
Hey steve

thanks in advance
Mine is a mix of delicate metals with a touch of wood to accent the curves in the fenders. The rails are petite with just a tad of chrome which brings out the highlights of the rear fender. Ready to work but can always lay flat when the moment is right.

Sorry, dozed off a bit there.

Mine is a 2005 Great Dane. It's steel with 4 wood nailers. It has a headboard, 60" box and a 24" box just for my chains. My truck is an 80" condo with a 400 pound APU and filled with crap. I can scale 80,000 with 1/4 tanks. It also has a spare tire carrier with a spare in it. I paid $17,000 for the trailer.

Oh yea, it's a 10' fixed spread axle so I can throw 40,000 pounds on the back without even thinking.
Sounds like a great setup but just curious on why you did'nt buy an aluminum trailer so you can scale more weight?