Old 08-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Schneider is probably not making as much money paying owner operators on percentage as they do mileage.
Is it because the percentage drivers get a break on fuel at a SNI terminal? And a higher rate to pull the freight? I am curious how much they pay per gallon compared to a TA or Pilot.
Fuel at the terminals is price to be the lowest in the state on that day. At Pilot and TA we get a 4cent discount off of cash price.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerChris
Fuel at the terminals is price to be the lowest in the state on that day. At Pilot and TA we get a 4cent discount off of cash price.
Wow - you don't get cost plus at TA? Chalk one up for Landstar. Recently, I've been paying anywhere from $0.20 - $0.30 below the cash price at TA, due to the declining cost of oil.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tken
Thanks for the info, I am getting to old to keep tarping in the summer heat. Couple of times this year I came close to passing out, not worth it. Also, flatbedding by nature limits the number of paid miles you can get per week. My estimate is that I lose a full day each week to the live load and unload and tarping. Calculate the difference and the amout of money needed per load approaches $2.50 per mile at 2000 miles a week versus $1.60 at 2800 including the difference in fuel cost.

Want to lease on pulling boxes to help eliminate some of the work for my wife who is hurting right now.

My gut tells me that the Schneider plan is going to pay a little less but offer much more freight without the hassle of dealing with agents. The one constant complaint about landstar I hear are the agents that give all the "good" loads to their own trucks. That having been said, I talk to very few BCO's that are not making a decent living and getting the things they need and expect. I suspect that the "hassle factor" will be higher with Schneider given the size of its fleet alone. Not a big fan of hopping around so looking to make the best choice up front.

Why don't you just sell the flatbed and get a Van or reefer and keep running with your own authority? I find loads much easier with my own authority than when I was at LS. Out of curiosity I called Schneider the other day and asked them about the rates they had for certain lanes. Average rates out of TX were 1.35,out of the west coast 1.58 and some good paying freight out of the southeast paying 2.00 or more. Overall you could average much more keeping your authority if you know where and how much to negotiate with brokers at the right time.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Schneider is probably not making as much money paying owner operators on percentage as they do mileage.
Is it because the percentage drivers get a break on fuel at a SNI terminal? And a higher rate to pull the freight? I am curious how much they pay per gallon compared to a TA or Pilot.

They will likely pay their owner operators more on percentage than mileage. I don't think it has anything to do with the price they sell fuel for at their terminals.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tken
Thanks for the info, I am getting to old to keep tarping in the summer heat. Couple of times this year I came close to passing out, not worth it. Also, flatbedding by nature limits the number of paid miles you can get per week. My estimate is that I lose a full day each week to the live load and unload and tarping. Calculate the difference and the amout of money needed per load approaches $2.50 per mile at 2000 miles a week versus $1.60 at 2800 including the difference in fuel cost.

Want to lease on pulling boxes to help eliminate some of the work for my wife who is hurting right now.

My gut tells me that the Schneider plan is going to pay a little less but offer much more freight without the hassle of dealing with agents. The one constant complaint about landstar I hear are the agents that give all the "good" loads to their own trucks. That having been said, I talk to very few BCO's that are not making a decent living and getting the things they need and expect. I suspect that the "hassle factor" will be higher with Schneider given the size of its fleet alone. Not a big fan of hopping around so looking to make the best choice up front.

Why don't you just sell the flatbed and get a Van or reefer and keep running with your own authority? I find loads much easier with my own authority than when I was at LS. Out of curiosity I called Schneider the other day and asked them about the rates they had for certain lanes. Average rates out of TX were 1.35,out of the west coast 1.58 and some good paying freight out of the southeast paying 2.00 or more. Overall you could average much more keeping your authority if you know where and how much to negotiate with brokers at the right time.

You will have much more flexibility running your own authority than leasing to any carrier. If you contract with Landstar you can get into their Savings Plus program. This is the same program they have for their BCO's, which includes the fuel discounts, etc., I believe Schneider has the same thing for carriers who broker freight through them, but under a different name. I have been told by both these companies that carriers who broker freight through them will receive about 5% more money than their owner operators. In any case, you have the opportunity to pursue loads from others that might pay more. Landstar has gotten to the point where some of their agents seem to do a lot of double brokering. There are more brokers who have van than flat bed freight.

One other thing you might consider is getting a side kit or Conestoga for your flat bed. You can get a new side kit from about $1,500-3,600. I believe a new Conestoga runs about $17,000. I have done well with my side kit over the years. Rates tend to be higher than with a regular flat bed and you don't have to deal with tarping. It is much easier to throw the bows aside than throw a couple of tarps. I prefer a wood side kit, but the lightweight side kits are easy to handle if you need to break it down. I know some people who won't even break their kits down. If it doesn't fit in the kit it doesn't go on their truck.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Rookie

I leased onto Schneider for quite a while. Was not on the choice program, but knew many that did. Some were happy, some were not. I'm not familiar with Landstar, but I'm fairly certain Schneider has way more freight. Even in the places where there are no orange trailers/containers, their logistics arm oversees a LOT of loads.

Few things to keep in mind with SNI.

1. If you think Landstar is anal with logs, lol, Schneider is far worse. They match up Ezpass timestamps, fuel, entry/departure at SNI facilities, etc. And they monitor your 14 via the qualcomm. SNI does not allow split logging. Regular lease guys are scrutinized like this, I'm not sure about choice op's. Wouldn't surprise me if they did though. If you are cartage or have your own authority, this doesn't apply to you.

2. There is no cost plus passed on to lease drivers. Hard to believe Schneider doesn't get this discount. Most likely they pocket it. They do say their fuel is the cheapest in the state you are fueling in, and you get a few cents off some major truck stops.

3. Schneider changes things quite often. Don't be surprised if the choice program vanishes or gets modified without much notice. When I left, they were trying to get rid of a lot of O/O's. Then a month later, I hear Wayne Lubner on Sirius offering $1000 sign on bonus to new O/O's. LOL. That's the way it is over there.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
Don't be surprised if the choice program vanishes
Didnt take long...

(from their website... Schneider National Transportation Jobs | Truck Driving Jobs | Owner-Operators | Lease Options - Choice Program)

"Schneider National, Inc. is deferring its Choice-based lease option at the present time due to the overwhelming response and success in 2008. We continue to offer our long-standing Mileage-based option to qualified candidates. For further inquiries into our current leasing program, please call 1-800-44-PRIDE."

They're getting rid of it because it was successful??
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Board Regular

Quick question: do you guys think me as an independent (own authority,insurance,etc) would be able to participate in their logistics side to pull loads from them, ie landastar,schnider etc?Anyone done something like this?I know for a fact that one of my close friends have been pulling loads from CRST logistics and at very good rates compared to others.

Getting loads back from the east coast to cali or az has became a hassle.Stuff doesn't move anymore and and if they do they don't pay anything.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of the major carriers have logistics or brokerage departments. As long as you have authority and insurance you should be able to pull loads from any of them. Some brokers are beginning to check your safe stat score.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
I doubt there are many lease deals out there paying $2.00/mile on van freight for tractor only...even including the FSC.
Nevertheless, that's exactly what i did last year, with all the extras, per loaded mile average, for the whole 2008...Today, it's seems as a dream....