Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Now the oil will be blown all over the front of your truck. :lol:
lol

I have big chunks of dear flesh stuck to my truck and trailer. I guess I thought wrong when I figured I could clear it....YUCK!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I remember correctly you have a Detroit? I have met a couple of owners who have had a leak around the cam shaft. I would think that it would leak all the time rather than when under a load, but it might be worth checking.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve

I do plan to have the engine rebuilt but not for at least another 300,000 or so. It runs strong and no problems since I've owned it other than small stuff.
By then you will have grossed over $1 million based on your numbers. A rebuild will be chump change. :lol:
Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If I remember correctly you have a Detroit? I have met a couple of owners who have had a leak around the cam shaft. I would think that it would leak all the time rather than when under a load, but it might be worth checking.
Yup, I have a Detroit and if the cam shaft is in the front I suspect that is where it's coming from. I'm assuming you mean the cam shaft cover?

I'm not going to diagnose it on the road but rather keep an eye on it. Nothing I can do unless it really starts to leak. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. If it is the cam shaft cover I'm assuming it will be much easier to fix with the radiator out when they do that.

I wouldn't doubt a million dollars in the near future. If I were to give it up right now I would still have about $35,000 coming to me. The more fuel goes up the more I have in receivables ever time I come home.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Steve

I have a Detroit, if it is leaking in between the front accessory drive ( this is the big housing mounted to the front of the block that the power steering pump, air compressor, altenator drive assembly are mounted to) and the block on either side just below the valve covers it is a "Diamond Seal" . It is about a $8.00 seal but it takes about a 1/2 a day to get to R&R it. Radiator won't have anything to do with it. There is a Diamond Seal on the rear of the cam shaft also on the back of the head.

Steve I don't have a reason why this happens but I have read it twice on sites like this or maybe it was here. If you exstend your blow by tube it will some how make a vacuam in the tube and actually collect road dirt and it will get into your engine. I know you like scientific proof, I can not give any but I would get rid of the longer hose.

Mike
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Or maybe the longer hose on your blow by tube is causing a little restriction of your blow by and causing oil to be pushed out of the little leak you might have.

Your dip stick tube, your filler neck, and your blow by tube are the only places that I can think of that the crank case can ventalate at. If you start restricting crank case ventaltion you will have positive crank case pressure and the pressure will have to go somewhere with oil too.

But I'm just a shade tree and could be wrong

Mike
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Ya know, you may have something there with the length of the blow by hose. I just recently extended it about 1 foot because it was getting my axle dirty.

I also think you are correct in the Diamond Seal thing. That does seem to be where it's coming from. I just gave a good look. It's real hard to see in there without getting completely greasy.

I just did 1,000 miles since I check the oil last and it's only down maybe 1/3 of a quart so I'm not overly concerned but will keep an eye on it.

I'm in bum F*** no place right now at the busiest little corner store I've ever seen. I don't think there is anything within 90 miles in either direction of this place.

I'm about 200 miles from crossing over into Rankenstein Country (Canada). I should roll in there pretty early and hoping that my paperwork was done properly and ready.

I just hope that guy from the U.S. Justice Department doesn't harass me again on the way back like last time. He was like 8' tall, mean and has dogs!!!

I'm watching soccer on TV right now. Only channel I can get. I could run maybe 1/10th of the field before dying and God forbid if I kicked the ball I would pull every muscle in my body. I must say they are a bunch of babies every time someone touches them. They lay on the freaking ground for 10 minutes then all of a sudden they are completely cured.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Yup, I have a Detroit and if the cam shaft is in the front I suspect that is where it's coming from. I'm assuming you mean the cam shaft cover?

You can see it from the front. It is a little difficult to get to and as someone else mentioned takes a while to repair. I met a guy who had redone his about 4 or 5 times and it was still leaking. He thought that he might have a small burr on the cover that was allowing it to leak. I believe he told me that he was losing about a gallon a day before he made the first repair. :shock: It isn't the gasket that is expensive but labor.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

It's a Detroit and it leaks oil???? I heard that if they stop leaking oil,....it's time to add more because it's empty.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I can tell you one thing. Once it's fixed this baby is getting one hell of a steam clean job underneath.

I have an exhaust fan in my rear window and keeps air moving through the cab. I have an air freshener about 5' away that's automatic and smells like flowers. It goes off every 30 minutes or so and then some of the mist is sucked out by the fan. It doesn't take too long before the bees smell this then fly into the fan. Every so often you hear this PINGGGGGGG. Took me a while to figure out what it was.
Closed Thread