Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
Consider yourself lucky to be in Canada. I'm sitting in St Pete doing my civic duty,.......jury duty.
I did mine a few years ago. I got picked for every single case. Did you know that if your not picked you go home for good. If you are picked you are then eligible for the next case and the next until your not picked again or the month is up.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Down here in the deep South, you only have to go once a year. Chances of me being picked again in the next few years are slim.
They sent me home after lunch with a $15 check.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey Steve did you get all the Provinces added to your IFTA? I called to get the Provinces added and they asked me which ones I wanted. I wasn't sure to get them all. I got the SCAC already.

A lot of calles coming in for loads to up there now.

Doghouse, I think down here they do the jury duty off the drivers license now, far as I knew it was off the voters registration. Thankfully I have never been called.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Hey Steve did you get all the Provinces added to your IFTA? I called to get the Provinces added and they asked me which ones I wanted. I wasn't sure to get them all. I got the SCAC already.

A lot of calles coming in for loads to up there now.

Doghouse, I think down here they do the jury duty off the drivers license now, far as I knew it was off the voters registration. Thankfully I have never been called.
I added all the provinces. Some only cost like 14 cents. You need to have your insurance company file a form FA I think it's called for BC. If you don't, BC requires you to buy insurance from them for like $20 and is good for a month. You should also get your Canadian Carrier Code then order your Paps and Pars stickers.

Jury duty is based off drivers licenses now instead of voter registration and I'm pretty sure it's throughout the US. You are obligated to serve for 1 month but if your not picked then you go home for good. If you are picked then you are eligible for the next trial.

I talked to one of the defense attorneys after and asked why I was picked for every case. He said I would be the most sympathetic in many cases since I was divorced and single for some time and upper middle class. I had been through the wringer already and so to speak, had been or is still going through a second adolescence with my freedom.

I must say though, Canada is the most FUC*** up country with a million different laws on weight and size. There are some roads that go from 100% to 75% for 12 miles. So you can be legal then all of a sudden your illegal. Some places base weight on tire size and foot print but don't recognize a 3rd axle. I've talked to many Canadian drivers and they all say the same thing about the U.S. in that it's simple. 80,000 pounds total and this much on each axle....PERIOD.

This time out I got to know a lot of Canadian drivers and always wanted to know something so I asked. What do you think of England ruling your country and if the Queen came down with some new law you didn't like.

They all said the same thing. Screw England and screw the Queen, this is our country and they better not tell us what to do. I kind of figured that would be the response.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
This time out I got to know a lot of Canadian drivers and always wanted to know something so I asked. What do you think of England ruling your country and if the Queen came down with some new law you didn't like.
Correction, Steve....England doesn't rule our country : we do. We have our own laws and charters, which no Brit can interfere with. The Queen, or rather the British Parliament, can come up with whatever law they may want, but that can't be applicable to us, for the simple reason that the Brits don't make our laws, nor do they govern us, nor are we answerable to them in any way, shape, or form.

We do, however, have what is called "Dominion Status", which means that being a one-time british colony, and also since we're not a republic ( we don't have a President, but a Prime Minister ), for nostalgic reasons we consider the British Monarch to be the ceremonial or rubber-stamp head of state, like countries like Australia and NZ, but unlike countries like India, which, despite being an erstwhile British colony, is a republic since independence, and to whom the Queen means nothing.

And to be honest, I was actually quite surprised to read your statement "England ruling your country", coming as it does from a purportedly educated guy like you. I can only hope that you had your tongue firmly in your cheek !!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve

I must say though, Canada is the most FUC*** up country with a million different laws on weight and size. There are some roads that go from 100% to 75% for 12 miles. So you can be legal then all of a sudden your illegal. Some places base weight on tire size and foot print but don't recognize a 3rd axle. I've talked to many Canadian drivers and they all say the same thing about the U.S. in that it's simple. 80,000 pounds total and this much on each axle....PERIOD.
I don't blame you for being frustrated with that. What we guys now do, is that we get an official Road Ban list from all the counties in the province, and route ourselves accordingly. It's not so much of a problem at this time of the year, but in spring, due to the thaw that sets in, those damn road bans can wreak havoc. But, we still charge the customer for a 100% load, even though we may be carrying 90% or even 75%, and the customers are fully cognizant of that.

As far as basing the weight on tire size is concerned, did you, by any chance cross into Saskatchewan from north-east Alberta ? Quite honestly, I've never heard of this concept here in Alberta, but I do know that in Saskatchewan these laws can be a royal pain.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Never been to Saskatchewan but hear that is the worst and have no plans to go their.

I don't pay much attention to Canadian government other than the reference to British rule and seeing the Queen's picture in every government office. When I was in school maybe the 9th grade we were taught that England rules Canada. That pretty much went in one ear and out the other. As far as trying to keeping current on who rules what countries nowadays I really don't care. No offense, just useless information to me like looking at a map and realizing the word Persia has been replaced with another name!

Saw a big black bear today run across the road in front of me. Also saw tons of moose laying down in the grass only 20' from the road. I thought they had been hit by cars until I beeped my city horn and one raised its head.

I ran out of cash the other day and figured out would get some from the ATM machine and tried at least 5 different places and was refused using my Debit card. I was still able to buy anything I wanted with my card, I just couldn't get cash. I finally called my bank and they said I had to go to an actual bank to get cash since most of the ATM machines are privately owned and not setup to deal with foreign banks!!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Board Regular

I'm leaking oil about a quart ever 1,000 miles now and it's getting all over my nice chrome fenders and rear wheels. I can't figure out where it's coming from but I'm hoping it can hold out for my trip to Canada then back home.

Most likely it is coming from the front cover. That is where most Detroits have a bad oil leak.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Most likely it is coming from the front cover. That is where most Detroits have a bad oil leak.
I found the leak yesterday. It's coming out of the oil filler tube. There must be a crack or hole in it. That's why there isn't any oil on the engine. It's dripping down at the elbow then the air catches it and sprays it all over the back.
Closed Thread